Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2012, 18:56   #16

Re: Fl to Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Skip R View Post
Caboman,
I generally will fly home from GT Club once or twice a trip with no one staying onboard. They are pretty good about watching the boats. Marsh Harbor is very commercial and I don't think you would enjoy. GTC security is better than The Bluff House but like anywhere over there something still could happen. Do you have a dingy? Golf cart? If not you can catch the ferry to downtown for groceries, etc. The electric rate at GTC is $22 day for a 43' boat. Not sure what it is at the BH. If you stay 2-3 months at GTC you should be able to negotiate a better rate than a $1 ft per day.
Skip
Thanks for the info...will you be around Abaco after may 5? BH rate is $17, but only $3 when not aboard. We are staying away from Marsh Harbor and settling on either Bluff or Green Turtle. We may wait until we arrive to make a decision, my understanding is that they (General Bahama area) are not as busy as they planned or hoped for.
How long have you had your 43? What a beautiful boat. We have only about 100 hrs on this Cabo, moved up from a 35 to 40...actually a Cabo 22 (the original Cabo boat) to a 35 to a 40.
caboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 05:04   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboman View Post
Thanks for the info...will you be around Abaco after may 5? BH rate is $17, but only $3 when not aboard. We are staying away from Marsh Harbor and settling on either Bluff or Green Turtle. We may wait until we arrive to make a decision, my understanding is that they (General Bahama area) are not as busy as they planned or hoped for.
How long have you had your 43? What a beautiful boat. We have only about 100 hrs on this Cabo, moved up from a 35 to 40...actually a Cabo 22 (the original Cabo boat) to a 35 to a 40.
We will head over around the first of June. Yes I think with the current economy and fuel prices the Bahamas will be slow again this year. Bought the Cabo43 in 2008 (05 model). Great boat just wish the fuel burn was less. With the deep vee it burns about 30% more than the 40. Boat is currently in boatyard having bottom painted, props tuned and a few other misc items. I have a friend that has a 40. They are very nice. What engines do you have?
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 06:02   #18

Quote:
We will head over around the first of June. Yes I think with the current economy and fuel prices the Bahamas will be slow again this year. Bought the Cabo43 in 2008 (05 model). Great boat just wish the fuel burn was less. With the deep vee it burns about 30% more than the 40. Boat is currently in boatyard having bottom painted, props tuned and a few other misc items. I have a friend that has a 40. They are very nice. What engines do you have?
The MAN 800's, it hums right along, not the best for fuel economy, but it gets you to the fuel dock faster.
We will be there in June, so maybe we can meet up and share some toddies. Should have the fishing spots down by then...any suggestions?
Old 22-04-2012, 06:55   #19

Quote:
The MAN 800's, it hums right along, not the best for fuel economy, but it gets you to the fuel dock faster.
We will be there in June, so maybe we can meet up and share some toddies. Should have the fishing spots down by then...any suggestions?
Yes same engines as my friend. It hauls ars. I have the Man 900's. Look forward to a few toddies. What type of fishing? Trolling or bottom? If bottom fishing alot of times we slow troll going out of Manjack Cay in 15ft to 70' with Mann stretch 30s and have caught some nice grouper. If trolling you can troll the ledge 120' off the beach and catch blackfin, dolphin and other misc fish. If your interested in YF tuna go to flatop about 20 miles offshore. Might be a little less I've forgotten. Its on the charts in approx 1000ft. The best blue marlin fishing is a little further south around the elbow. Of course, you can be lucky or skilled and catch any of these species just about anywhere offshore.
Old 22-04-2012, 07:56   #20

Quote:
Yes same engines as my friend. It hauls ars. I have the Man 900's. Look forward to a few toddies. What type of fishing? Trolling or bottom? If bottom fishing alot of times we slow troll going out of Manjack Cay in 15ft to 70' with Mann stretch 30s and have caught some nice grouper. If trolling you can troll the ledge 120' off the beach and catch blackfin, dolphin and other misc fish. If your interested in YF tuna go to flatop about 20 miles offshore. Might be a little less I've forgotten. Its on the charts in approx 1000ft. The best blue marlin fishing is a little further south around the elbow. Of course, you can be lucky or skilled and catch any of these species just about anywhere offshore.
Thanks for the info. We like the grouper for dinner.freezer fish (nothing wrong with a dorado or two either), but really like the blue water trolling stuff...blue marlin is on our list "to do".
It will be just two of us, so it becomes a zoo with a hook up on marlin or any size tuna...no cockpit controls.
Old 22-04-2012, 08:01   #21

Quote:
Thanks for the info, a great start, and it matches with what some others have said...now you get two toddies.
Old 22-04-2012, 10:12   #22

Quote:
Thanks for the info. We like the grouper for dinner.freezer fish (nothing wrong with a dorado or two either), but really like the blue water trolling stuff...blue marlin is on our list "to do".
It will be just two of us, so it becomes a zoo with a hook up on marlin or any size tuna...no cockpit controls.
Understand the fire drill as I just have the wife on board too. Name of our boat is C Skip R. Looking forward to the toddies.
Old 22-04-2012, 10:15   #23

Quote:
Understand the fire drill as I just have the wife on board too. Name of our boat is C Skip R. Looking forward to the toddies.
Bandit it the name of our boat...
Old 26-04-2012, 12:37   #24

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Quote:
I have heard Marsh Harbor is quite busy, and I do appreciate a little quite. I probably won't be moving around much, unless the place I pick is not suitable. I may make day or weekend fishing runs somewhere, but will return to the "nest" before leaving flying out.
Check out Marsh Harbor Marina. It's on the opposite side of the harbor from town. It's quieter and safer. It's a family-run place and they're good people.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 14:56   #25

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

While Green Turtle is great, you will miss a lot if you don't go past "The Whale" to the rest of the Abacos.
Old 30-04-2012, 15:24   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
While Green Turtle is great, you will miss a lot if you don't go past "The Whale" to the rest of the Abacos.
I guess "Whale" refers to something other than the mammal...iykwim...
Old 01-05-2012, 13:26   #27

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

"The Whale" refers to the passage you must take to get to Marsh Harbor from Green Turtle. There is a section of shallow water on the Sea of Abaco between the two that most boats can't cross due to draft. As a result, most go out of the "Whale Cay Cut," and then come back in on the other side of the island.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:04   #28

Caboman,
I'm sure if you are at GT for a month or so you will get an opportunity to go through whale cay. No big deal most of the time unless you have a raging sea and then it can get really rough. A local vhf channel provides a daily forceast of the channel.

Tags
Bahamas