Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2014, 23:06   #1

Fort Myers to KeyWest in a 2103 cc Trophy Boat?

Hey guys, this is only my second time using this forum, but it has been very helpful so far. I am considering buying a 21' center console fishing boat. It will probably be a newer model trophy 2103 cc. Most of them come with 175hp mercury's. The crusing range is about 310 miles at ~30-35mph. No cabin, but a small head, raw water wash down, Large gunwales, t-top, GPS, radio, etc. The boats I am looking at are all very well equipped. I will primarily be using this boat for offshore fishing off the coast of Sanibel island (near fort Myers). However, a few of our friends own larger 25' center consoles, and every summer they take a trip down to key west on their boats. The first leg of the trip to Marco island takes about 2hrs. They refuel, stay the night, and then wake p early for the next leg of the trip, which takes about 4hrs on open water. It's about 135 miles from Sanibel to Key West, so fuel should not be a problem. I cannot buy a bigger, better boat-21' is all I can afford. I have decent boating experience, but I'm not a professional by any means. Even if this trip isn't doable, I will still be purchasing the same boat...I was just wondering because it would be great. I have read a lot of other forums and people have done it in 24' Searays and even 22' Glazer bays. Let me know your thoughts or if you have done this trip or a similiar trip. Also, I have done extensive research on the Trophy boats, but if you have any expeience with trophy's that would be helpful too.
glowprofishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 12:13   #2

"Doable" is the operative word. With a properly equipped boat and a confident skipper with some experience it certainly should be. Safety equipment with CG required gear as a minimum, plus sun protection and water supply would be important. Close monitoring of the weather situation along the way and the common sense to avoid getting into difficulty because you think you need to adhere to a tight cruise schedule is necessary. Running in the daylight removes a lot of issues that come with the night.

My perspective comes from the Pacific NW, which adds deadheads and other floating obstructions to the list and the Southern California coast with kelp beds, active shipping lanes and Santa Ana winds to contend with.

Best advice is to join your friends and cruise together, sounds like a great trip.
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 13:14   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Fort Myers to KeyWest in a 2103 cc Trophy Boat?

I have a 2006 2103CC w/175 HP Verado that coincidentally is fixing to be listed for sale.
I carry 110 Gl of fuel and best I can do without being loaded very heavy is about 2.5 MPG at 20 Kts, her sweet spot while on plane. Her max speed is 38 to 40 MPH where she is burning about 20 GL per hour, plus you don't want to run wide open for long periods anyway.
You won't be on plane in more than 2 ft seas, even if they have a long periond, so don't count on staying on plane unless the seas are glassy.

If you have seatow, a good radio and especially if you can travel with another boat, you will be fine.
Don't down play the 2103CC, it's a lot drier than most 25 CC boats, due to it's high sides and 21 deg dead rise, one reason they are a little slower is becasue they are so heavy and ride so well.

BTW, I'd only consider the "PRO" model if I were you, carries 40 gl fresh water and a few other things that are way nice to have.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 13:39   #4

GPS Socal, thanks for the advice. a64pilot, you've probably realized this, but it's me, GlowPro fishing!! We talked about your trophy over the phone. So you think this trip is doable... That's good to know. On a calm summer day with a few other boats and a sea tow membership, I think we could pull it off! The keys are beautiful-I have taken the key west express but it's a ripoff. I could stay closer to the Everglades, but there is a lot of criminal activity in and around those shores. I think I'm better off going on a day with glassy seas, and no rain in the forecast. Let me know when you have those pics ready!! I'm working on my dad. Thanks a lot!!
Old 18-01-2014, 15:02   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I should have figured out it was you, but didn't. Guess I'm getting old. Actually just a few minutes ago we cleaned her up and took her over to Suncoast Discount Boat Center in Panama City Beach for them to sell her. She will be listed on Boat Trader etc. starting Mon. Funny thing is I didn't sign a listing agreement or anytihg, which truthfully makes me a little nervous, but this place s well established and has been in business for awhile, I assume they won't just take off with the boat in the middle of the night.
I'm on an Ipad, can I attach a picture?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 15:16   #6

You can take a screen shot of the pics on your iPad and email me those, or you can email me the link directly. I would really like to see pics of it. Email is sellitforless35@gmail.com.
Old 18-01-2014, 15:19   #7

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

The trip is very doable as long as the weather is good. I've crossed the GOM from Mexico to Florida, no wind, had to motor the whole thing, never saw waves over 12". 405nm - 58 hours.

You could have followed me!!

The weather can turn a nice trip into a disaster!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 16:43   #8

Dot Dun, I'll do it with you this summer. My friend and I are 17 years old and we are dieing to learn how to sail. I could follow you on the trophy to the keys or we could figure something else out. I am also interested in dry tortugas. The only trip that is doable on the trophy is the keys, however. Someday we want to sail around the world. We own a fishing company-GlowPro-Fish Like a Pro. We have one patent to our name that covers a lighted tackle box with a removable 250 lumen light. Illuminates 10ft of space around the box, submersible to be used as a light for a bait well or an underwater fish light. The point is that we are passionate boaters, fishers, we love the ocean. If your interested in doing any trips together, we would love that . Located in sanibel island, Fl. Let me know if your interested. We have looked into sailing lessons-too expensive.
Old 21-01-2014, 05:15   #9

Boat: 45' Aft Cabin Motor yacht

I took my 23' boat down the west coast of Florida from Crystal River to Key West. The ride from CR to Marco was amazing over a period of two days.

We launched off of Marco Island direct to Key West in forecasted 2-3' waves. 20 miles off shore with a following sea we were in 3-5' seas and by the time we were 50nm offshore we were in a true 6' sea with an occasional 8'. This turned out to be the beginning of TS Debbie.

FWIW, my boat is a twin engine boat and we spend around 200 hours per year underway. That experience led us to our pending purchase (close on 2/14) of a 45' Sea Ray aft cabin.

k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 09:39   #10

K9medic + anyone else ,

That trip sounded very scary. Both of those boats are beautiful, but the first one sits too low in the water for a trip like that. I'm not sure what I will do yet, especially since I will be going in the summer when the gulf + storms are unpredictable. My plans have changed a bit. Most 21' cc fishing boats are out of our price range, so we were debating getting a 23' sailboat instead. Unless we are purchasing a 40'+ boat like yours, smaller sailboats seem to handle longer trips like these beter. I was considering Pacific SeaCraft, Rhodes, Precision, and ComPac. I will have to moor the boat in shallow waters in Pine Island sound near Sanibel/Captiva, so the keel cannot be too deep. With enclosed cabins and a trawling motor, I really think we would he safer in a sailboat. Instead of selling my fishing dinghy and buying a Trophy, I would keep the dinghy for fishing and buy a sailboat for offshore trips. Any thoughts on my plan? Which sailboats in the above list would you recommend for less than $10,000? Also, if anyone is interested in doing the trip with me in July or August of 2014, I would appreciate it, as I have never done a trip this long. I was even considering crossing the Gulf Stream to Bimini on a calm SE day. Let me know.
Old 25-01-2014, 12:39   #11

Boat: 45' Aft Cabin Motor yacht

Since you asked, here are my thoughts:

I grew up on the water and starting running a 16' center console when I was 14. By the time I was 16, I would run that darn boat just about anywhere and actually enjoyed the thrill of jumping the waves as I came out of the river into the gulf. Looking back, it was stupid, but that is what you do as a kid.

The trip down the coast was not scary at all. With the exception of the Marco to KW leg, the rest of it was done on very smooth water. The 23' boat that I have has a large amount of freeboard and I have previously taken it to the Bahamas. Knowing your limitations means a great deal. If I were to do it over again, I would have hugged the coast down and around.

I do not have any experience in sail boats so I cannot offer input there. I can tell you that the trip across to Bimini from the east coast is MUCH shorter than a trip to Key West. When I went the water was like glass. When I came back though, it kicked up to a 4-5' swell in the stream.
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 21:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
Since you asked, here are my thoughts:

I grew up on the water and starting running a 16' center console when I was 14. By the time I was 16, I would run that darn boat just about anywhere and actually enjoyed the thrill of jumping the waves as I came out of the river into the gulf. Looking back, it was stupid, but that is what you do as a kid.

The trip down the coast was not scary at all. With the exception of the Marco to KW leg, the rest of it was done on very smooth water. The 23' boat that I have has a large amount of freeboard and I have previously taken it to the Bahamas. Knowing your limitations means a great deal. If I were to do it over again, I would have hugged the coast down and around.

I do not have any experience in sail boats so I cannot offer input there. I can tell you that the trip across to Bimini from the east coast is MUCH shorter than a trip to Key West. When I went the water was like glass. When I came back though, it kicked up to a 4-5' swell in the stream.
Thanks for the advice. I'm the same way-17 years old, baught a bay boat on Craigslist that I take EVERYWHERE. It's unbelievable how much fun I have had on this $400 10hp boat. Unfortunately, I'm the only one in my family that loves boating and fishing. My best friend loves it too, but our time down in Fl is limited since our primary residence is in cold, rainy, depressing Ma. Originally, I was going to try to split the cost of a trophy fishing boat with my dad, but unless a64pilot's boat stays for sale until June, that probably won't happen. Instead of dragging my dad into buying a boat, I think I will spend my own money on a 20'-23' sailboat that I can live on this summer. A good sailboat with a 4-person cabin is about 4-5k belive it or not-pretty inexpensive compared to an offshore fishing boat. I will be doing the trip to the keys in July or August regardless of the boat. If the weather holds, I may even consider crossing the Gulf Stream from Key Largo to Bimini, Bahamas with my buddy. If you or anyone you know is planning on doing a trip like this in the summer, let me know as it would be safer to travel behind another boat with more experience.

Tags
fort myers