Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2021, 14:29   #1

Fuel efficient fishing boat

I'm curious what people have found for efficient fishing boats. It doesn't have to be a strictly fishing boat, but something that one could fish off.

The best I have found so far is an older Arvor 180 w/ 50hp Nanni diesel. 13 knot cruise, at 6 lph works out to 2.2 nautical miles per liter. (10 statue miles per US gallon)

Anyone find anything better than that?
fpjeepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 14:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Fuel efficient fishing boat

I think the question much too broad to give a good answer. To give a helpful answer you should specify what kind of fishing and where?

Fishing in a small lake for bass would call for a much different boat than fishing for snapper 50 miles offshore.

Likewise fishing off the coast of Florida in summer vs off the coast of Alaska in winter would call for a much different boat.

Maybe a few more details?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 15:28   #3

Touché

Boats like the Arvor would be a good start. I don't want to say a specific area, because it would be nice to be able to travel the boat and fish in different areas.

- I think 15ft+ would be a minimum.
- 10mpg or better
- Capable of a 25-degree roll without taking on water. (That's not information that is typically available. So maybe 20"+ gunnels.)
- 12+ knots
- Self-bailing would be cool

Still too broad?
Old 19-08-2021, 04:07   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpjeepy View Post
Touché

Boats like the Arvor would be a good start. I don't want to say a specific area, because it would be nice to be able to travel the boat and fish in different areas.

- 10mpg or better
- Capable of a 25-degree roll without taking on water. (That's not information that is typically available. So maybe 20"+ gunnels.)
- 12+ knots

Still too broad?

You might also have a look at TheHullTruth(.com); lots of fish guys there, boatloads of info about likely boats...

-Chris
Old 19-08-2021, 04:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
You might also have a look at TheHullTruth(.com); lots of fish guys there, boatloads of info about likely boats...

-Chris
I have tried posting over there. 99% of fishermen don't care about fuel burn. Most boats get 3mpg or less and no one is willing to give up anything to better fuel economy.
Old 19-08-2021, 04:38   #6

Bahamian fishing sloops

https://www.woodenboat.com/whiskey_plank/bahamian-sloops—part-i
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 04:55   #7

Quote:
Touché

- 10mpg or better
- 12+ knots

Still too broad?
A 15ft aluminum boat with a 9.9hp 4 stroke outboard should do nicely.

I don't know about 25 degree roll but as a kid we were out in steep 6fters with no issues taking on water. It's light so it tends to ride up and over waves. Roll would be more of a concern in bigger heavier boats that try to stand up to waves.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 04:59   #8

Not really fitting your criteria but I always thought our sail catamaran would make a great salmon fishing boat with the rig removed.
- Wide beam means you have plenty of room for downriggers and a stable platform.
- Easy to dial in the trolling speed. Most boats need a separate trolling motor or a fiddly trolling plate on the main.
- Big cockpit.

About the only downside is it will take a bit longer to get out to the fishing grounds but with the slower speed, you could be setting up on the way out, putting some of that extra travel time to use.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 05:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Kinda hard to fish off of a sailboat. Ironically the author of that article is Reul Parker who has designed some pretty efficient boats. His 24'x7' commuter with a 50hp I believe will cruise around 14knots and gets 6+ mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
A 15ft aluminum boat with a 9.9hp 4 stroke outboard should do nicely.

I don't know about 25 degree roll but as a kid we were out in steep 6fters with no issues taking on water. It's light so it tends to ride up and over waves. Roll would be more of a concern in bigger heavier boats that try to stand up to waves.
I fish saltwater. I know there are ways to protect aluminum in the salt, but not knowing enough I have always been nervous of it. If I had to go that route, I would prefer the welded boats over the riveted boats.

Quote:
Not really fitting your criteria but I always thought our sail catamaran would make a great salmon fishing boat with the rig removed.
- Wide beam means you have plenty of room for downriggers and a stable platform.
- Easy to dial in the trolling speed. Most boats need a separate trolling motor or a fiddly trolling plate on the main.
- Big cockpit.

About the only downside is it will take a bit longer to get out to the fishing grounds but with the slower speed, you could be setting up on the way out, putting some of that extra travel time to use.
I'm also not a big fan of cats. I don't care for the way they roll around a corner at speed. Although a sail boat probably wouldn't have that issue.
Old 19-08-2021, 08:42   #10

The best I had heard of for a displacement boat was Idlewild. 55ft long, 30 000lb. 55 Hp diesel. Did the northwest passage and then circumnavigated. Consumption 1.3 gal/hr at 6.5kt or 5nm/gal Not much on the top speed end of things of course...

Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 09:24   #11

Quote:
I'm curious what people have found for efficient fishing boats. It doesn't have to be a strictly fishing boat, but something that one could fish off.

The best I have found so far is an older Arvor 180 w/ 50hp Nanni diesel. 13 knot cruise, at 6 lph works out to 2.2 nautical miles per liter. (10 statue miles per US gallon)

Anyone find anything better than that?
I do a LOT better than that.

We just came back from a three day trip from Hampton Roads, VA out 80 NM to the Norfolk Canyon to fish for Golden Tilefish. Our TOTAL fuel spend for the entire trip: 12 gallons. We don't cruise at 13 knots, but we do eight...

We put over 80 pounds of the tastiest fish that swims into the ship's freezers. If you have ever eaten tilefish, you know what I mean. If not.. well more for me!

Fish and boat in the attached pictures...

https://thefishingsailor.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkR...3h0VL0POkvh7yA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1955.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	244020   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	244021  

BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 10:03   #12

Quote:
- Big cockpit.

I used a 21 ft sailing catamaran with 2,5 HP Seagull outboard for two years - a Wharam Tiki 21 - for netfishing for a hotel. Bringing out the nets behind the reefs late afternoon and bringing them in next morning. Excellent expierience. Stable working platform, and good manouverability under jib alone to position and move around between the groundnets.

Capt. Claus - ocean tramp of the eighties - São Paulo/Brasil
clakiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 10:47   #13

I fish off my Wharram tiki 30 all the time.10 up Honda and sails. I can go just about anywhere
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 19:10   #14

Boat: C&C

Valhalla 360 has the right idea! Wide platform spreading the riggers and lines out far apart, very efficient fuel burn and reasonable enough speed. Caught lots of Mahi, Wahoo and Mutton Snapper off the back of ours. Forget those little fishing boats that just bob around, get something decent you can stand up in, walk around, pour a drink and not spill it while either BBQing or cooking a roast in the oven as you fish!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 19:16   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Touché

- 10mpg or better
- 12+ knots

Still too broad?
A boat around 15' or so with 20" freeboard? I wouldn't take that more than a mile or so out of the harbor and only on the calmest of days.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, fish, fishing, fuel