Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2024, 06:24   #1

Fuel Manifold Cruisers 1996

Does anyone have a similar manifold? Is this correct? The boat has always had the black side towards camera. But when reading the posted sign, it seems incorrect. Want to run off both tanks. Reason I ask is boat now has a bad hesitation. Have changed all fuel filters, still there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240714_110212.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	292051   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240714_110209.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	292052  

Captain Dave T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2024, 23:32   #2

Re: Fuel Manifold Cruisers 1996

That’s actually a nifty way to identify which tank is feeding which engine, I assume two of those valves are on the returns. I had the same valves on a previous GM Detroit powered boat and finally got rid of em by installing a pair of manifolds with bigger fuel flow capacity ( with1/2” full flow ball valves) and less confusion about where the fuel was coming from and returning to. Detroit diesels are thirsty beasts and need big fuel lines….. also very unforgiving if the return goes to the wrong tank. Some of your fuel lines look a bit shabby where the rubber has extruded through the slots in the hose clamps and could be contributing to the “bad hesitation”. It would be helpful to know what type of engines , are both engines experiencing the hesitation?
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2024, 04:47   #3

Yes,
Thx for the rely Pete,
Do they look like they are in the correct position ? Wondering if they got moved?
Both motors have the hesitation and started suddenly. I had replaced all filters before this happened ( Service time ). I only had 2 micron racors, I wonder if they were too small ? I have swapped out to the 10 micron size I normally use and going to see if that helps/hurts. I will check the fuel lines, thx. Any other ideas ? Really trying to get boat running as it was before filter changes.
Captain Dave T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2024, 08:40   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave T View Post
Does anyone have a similar manifold? Is this correct? The boat has always had the black side towards camera. But when reading the posted sign, it seems incorrect. Want to run off both tanks. Reason I ask is boat now has a bad hesitation. Have changed all fuel filters, still there.
I'm not able to discern white or black in your second pic... and not sure the red bars I can see are relevant or not...

But it might be that the small ends of the valve tops -- not the longer ends -- are the pointy end. If so, reversing the valves might mean pointing toward red (if that's what you're aiming for).

Just guessing, though, based on the way the handles on our Racor filter selectors work.

-Chris
Old 16-07-2024, 09:50   #5

I take it the red being visible in the handle ties indicates it is in the red position. I'm guessing one other side of the handle ties is painted black, and the other direction white.

If filter work preceded this then I would look for an air leak on the suction side of the systems, or your suspicion of 2 micron causing enough more of a restriction that you get your symptom (in which case it sounds like your system is running right at the edge of fuel flow and available suction).
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2024, 18:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave T View Post
Yes,
Thx for the rely Pete,
Do they look like they are in the correct position ? Wondering if they got moved?
Both motors have the hesitation and started suddenly. I had replaced all filters before this happened ( Service time ). I only had 2 micron racors, I wonder if they were too small ? I have swapped out to the 10 micron size I normally use and going to see if that helps/hurts. I will check the fuel lines, thx. Any other ideas ? Really trying to get boat running as it was before filter changes.
“Too small” depends completely on the size of the racors and the fuel demand of the engines. In my opinion,( and Caterpillar) 2 micron is the best size. If both are affected, almost certainly its a fuel problem.
If you have Cummins 855’s, they hate negative suction pressure and equally misbehave with high return line pressure.
Are the engines just hard to start or are they refusing to pick up the load when you push the levers forward??? Fouled props?
Correct position? Maybe. I see that as the red position, next is black and the third face of that angle iron link plate has to be white if you view them from where you took the photo.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, fuel