Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2022, 20:46   #1

Grand Banks 42 with John Deere 404

Hello.

We are about a very neglected GB 42 1974 with twin JD404 we don’t even know if there seized.

I will like to rebuild the engine new sleeves , fuel lines and mean a complete rebuild. Where can I get part for that engine and the transmission?

Thanks
Tranquilein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 21:28   #2

Re: Grand Banks 42 with John Deere 404

Try John Deere
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 02:13   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tranquilein.

John Deere
Tel [Toll Free] ➥ 1-800-533-6446
Email form ➥ https://www.deere.com/en/forms/engin...power-systems/

Parts ➥ https://www.deere.com/en/parts-and-s.../engine-parts/

US Dealers ➥ https://dealerlocator.deere.com/servlet/country=US

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 02:25   #4

These engines are a bit of a unicorn. They are tractor engines that were only marinized by American Marine. Some engine parts will be fairly easy to source and transmission rebuild-able (though be mindful these engines, if twins, if twins, counter-rotate). However, if you need certain specific marinization parts such as exhaust manifold, you will need to have it fabricated.

Grand Banks owners group would be your best bet for guidance. You may also want to ping TrawlerForum, sister site to CF.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 04:40   #5

Thanks to all for the responses. I will check with JD and get more information in transmissions.

I will also appreciate advice in what to do with:

1) both fuel tanks are already been drained and ready to be removed. Installing 100/150 plastic gallons tanks?

2) teak decks are already been removed what can I install to still the deck?

3) windows wood channels are rotted away any recommendation in replacing those with other materials?

4) we know this boat will need thousands of dollars. Which Insurance companies insure this type of old vessels (full coverage)?

Thanks again
Old 02-05-2022, 08:58   #6

Doubt plastic tanks are an option at thos size. There is no way to baffle a plastic tank. Aluminum is your best bet, but pricey.

When teak decks are removed, typically glassed over and painted with something like KiwiGrip to cover imperfections.

Ping trawlerforum for specifics on window repair.

Given the questions above, guessing this boat is not in great shape. Insurance could be an issue under the best of circumstances. Even liability given the presumed fuel tank issues.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:26   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Quote: " There is no way to baffle a plastic tank."

IF the tanks have inspection openings, you can add baffle balls to stop the slosh. They are plastic balls with lots of openings, and use about 1% of your space. We have them in our 300 gallon fuel tanks, which started life as ordinary unbaffled steel agricultural tanks.

https://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=2467
Old 02-05-2022, 09:27   #8

Hi: is complete neglected everything needs to be done. Why the tanks needs the baffles for rough weather?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2022, 10:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquilein View Post
Hi: is complete neglected everything needs to be done. Why the tanks needs the baffles for rough weather?

Thanks
The previous post included a link to a surge protector device - there is a decent video showing how they work compared to a baffled tank. Looks like they have a lot of the little devices in their demo tank - at $22/each, would add-up I suppose.

The reason you need baffling is to reduce kinetic energy during movement. a 2/3rds full 100-gallon tank weighs about 500 lbs. Thats a lot of energy moving around and can really put some pressure on seams. In heavy weather, large vessesl will "press" their tanks meaning get some as full as possible to reduce the amount of free surface area.

For insurance, you will need a survey. And any major defects found will need to be resolved prior to issuance of insurance. You may have your hands full here.....
Old 02-05-2022, 10:57   #10

Hi:

Thanks for the advice, how many of those balls are need? I noticed each pack is about 10.

I can fabricate an opening on a new plastic tank. I have the feeling they will last longer plus you can see the content from outside
Old 02-05-2022, 11:00   #11

Thanks for this explanation �� so basically the safe way to go in a plastic tank is add a bunch of those baffle balls to it.

There’s a particular Insurance company that insure old vessels? We are located in FL and yes this is going to be a massive project
Old 02-05-2022, 11:18   #12

A good article on fuel tank design from Steve D'Antonio. Gives plus, minuses, and limitations of all tank materials.

https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/w...TankDesign.pdf

I have no decent info on insurance. Good luck -
Old 02-05-2022, 12:23   #13

I been thinking that a good alternative could be Truck aluminum diesel tanks. They come in different shapes, super strong and use can be found for $300.

Yes I will have less fuel onboard but I can always add a third one in a good location. Most of my cruising will be in the ICW. I’m guessing with 250/300 gallons I should be ok. Having 600 gallons onboard is a lot of weight
Old 02-05-2022, 13:07   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Quote: " There is no way to baffle a plastic tank."

IF the tanks have inspection openings, you can add baffle balls to stop the slosh. They are plastic balls with lots of openings, and use about 1% of your space. We have them in our 300 gallon fuel tanks, which started life as ordinary unbaffled steel agricultural tanks.

SurgeBuster SB804 fits in openings as small as 4" in diameter, and comes 10 units per carton. Each Surge Buster manages 12 Gal. of liquid.

SurgeBuster SB807-10 fits in tanks with lid size between 8" and 15", and requires 1 unit per 30 gallons of tank capacity. Calculate the amount required by your specific load size: Divide tank capacity by 30 and round up to the nearest number to get accurate amount of units needed to maximize surge control.

https://youtu.be/93B_YAq5N2A

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 13:45   #15

Many thanks for this information ����

Tags
grand banks