Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2013, 08:40   #61

Re: Heating System Question?

I am still back on the holding tank discussion. Somebody actually suggested that the holding tank would last all Winter??? Only if you do not have the Y valves turned to the tank!! With that number of people on board ( and used to living on land) I figure that, even without grey water, you probably accumulate more than 100 gallons per week. I guess it could also be used for balance?? Certainly need to make sure there is a regular (weekly) service or dockside pump out close enough for your boat to use without moving from its dock.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 14:22   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
I am still back on the holding tank discussion. Somebody actually suggested that the holding tank would last all Winter??? Only if you do not have the Y valves turned to the tank!! With that number of people on board ( and used to living on land) I figure that, even without grey water, you probably accumulate more than 100 gallons per week. I guess it could also be used for balance?? Certainly need to make sure there is a regular (weekly) service or dockside pump out close enough for your boat to use without moving from its dock.
I think Phil suggested that the fuel would last all winter.

I looked into the sewage treatment, but unfortunately for me, Boston Harbor is a no dump zone, treated or not. But, I suppose it could still be useful in other locations.

There's no way that I'm going to move the boat every 3 days, so pump-out boat it is
Old 18-08-2013, 17:22   #63

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

You will use about 400 gallons and for the size boat you are looking the tanks should hold more than that. So you will have to transfer the fuel around. During the winter I polish the fuel but that is another topic for later.

The Eagle has a Micrphor waste treatment that is sort of like a septic tank that requires not electricity and the only chemical is a clorine tablet chamber before going overboard. But in the marine only pumping is allowed. So when out in the sound switch to the microphor. We use to have a water maker but I didi not maitain it, so something that may be added back.

Anyway once you get it down it become routine.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 18:09   #64

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

The holding tank issue is an important one. With 7 people on board you may want to increase the size of your tanks. during the winter with blizzards and storms the pump out boat may not always be on schedule. Overflowing tanks would not be any fun!
The marina we used to be at only ran on Saturdays and would skip altogether in inclement weather.
Also find out about your water supply in winter. Our marinas shut the water off at the docks from December to end of march. To fill our 170 gallon tank we have to move the boat to the one winterized spigot that stays on.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 09:07   #65

Most live a board use the marine/land restrooms when possible and you learn to regulate yourself. So its only late night/early morning on the boat. People go to work, children go to school, and doing errands so land is used. A couple of port potties could be installed also.

As for water a water make could be installed. The Eagle had one but we did not need use it as we can get by with 400 gallons during the periods the water is turned off. Also drink and large jug/bottle water is used to supplement. Anyway during the cold winter I keep the water tanks topped off and the holding tank empty as possible.
Old 19-08-2013, 11:51   #66

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

You can also pump it a long way through a macerator and garden hose to an acceptable disposal place...may require a booster pump.... but in most marinas it can be done...just more work than people want to set up for ever 5-10 days.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 12:15   #67

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

RW58PH,

We have a water maker but were advised to never use it in a marina because of the possibility of oil and other contaminants in the water ruining the membrane. Does anyone use their watermaker in a marina?

With adults I would not be concerned about them using the marina facilities for bathrooms and showers but I would be hesitant to send my kids off the boat to what I would consider a public bathroom without a family adult along, especially where snow, ice and wind could also influence the trip there and back. I would want the safety of large enough tanks to not have to worry about overflow. But that may just be me.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 12:59   #68

Here in the Northeast, the water is not clear and has a lot of biological and mud suspended solids. My experience is there are few locations where you can use a watermaker regardless of oil and other contaminants. You would need to change prefilters every day or so!! We found that once we came back to the US from Bahamas the watermaker was not very useful, though probably OK well offshore.
Old 20-08-2013, 14:40   #69

On the water maker we had a raw water sea strainer and a raw water filter so the water was clean enough for the water maker. The through hull was about 2 ft underwater and most of the oil/stuff floated on top of the water. Luckily the freezing weeather has been a couple of weeks at a time. If necessary I would hand carry water to the boat as we use less than 10 gallons per day.

You could have a 50 to 100 gallon pumper boat moored next to the boat for your own private use. It would be easier than moving the big boat. Being a live a board you do what you have to do and think out side of the box.

I also have a concern about the safety of going to from the boat especially in the cold, rainy windy dark days. Our present slip is at the bottom of the dock ramp and the restroom is 50 ft way, so about 100 ft or so. I put if hand/guard rails for the steps and along the dock and the boat tied up tight against the dock, about 3”, so the chances are slipping in the water are minimal. Also have emergency ladders at the bow and stern of the boat, plus live lines and rings with in reach along the boat.
Old 21-08-2013, 19:52   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
On the water maker we had a raw water sea strainer and a raw water filter so the water was clean enough for the water maker. The through hull was about 2 ft underwater and most of the oil/stuff floated on top of the water. Luckily the freezing weeather has been a couple of weeks at a time. If necessary I would hand carry water to the boat as we use less than 10 gallons per day.

You could have a 50 to 100 gallon pumper boat moored next to the boat for your own private use. It would be easier than moving the big boat. Being a live a board you do what you have to do and think out side of the box.

I also have a concern about the safety of going to from the boat especially in the cold, rainy windy dark days. Our present slip is at the bottom of the dock ramp and the restroom is 50 ft way, so about 100 ft or so. I put if hand/guard rails for the steps and along the dock and the boat tied up tight against the dock, about 3”, so the chances are slipping in the water are minimal. Also have emergency ladders at the bow and stern of the boat, plus live lines and rings with in reach along the boat.
Phil, where did you go to get your heating system installed? Boatyard or private tech?
Old 22-08-2013, 04:49   #71

GG
Check out Ocean Options in Tiverton RI for heat, RO, AC, etc. Plus as mentioned previously, there is no sales tax on boats brought into RI. You could save a lot by docking your boat there for a couple of years. It is not so far from Boston unless you really need to live on it in Boston. Plus there are many more services/boat yards available at more reasonable prices. At least you might consider bringing the boat to the Narragansett for this Winter and to get your initial work done.
Old 22-08-2013, 05:04   #72

Narragansett Bay is a great place for boats... great cruising, jump off and services... the town is fabulous as well. Clearly the yachting capital of the East. It is close to Boston and the Cape. And the harbor master(s) are really helpful and take good care of the harbor. Lots of large motor yachts as well... so they can handle big boats... very big ones. GG.... I second the suggestion of using Newport or there abouts as your homeport for the near term. You can't go wrong.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 08:20   #73

I am not aware of general marine diesel heater dealer/installers so you will have to do a search under each brand name. For Webasto its http://marine.webasto.us/ As mentioned most name brands vendors/suppliers are at boat Shows.

I crawled around dozen of boats looking at their heating systems and how installed. So when it was time to buy I knew the system I wanted. A system the insurance company would accept, could run 24/7 9 months per year, thermostat controlled, local/PNW parts and service and one unit that could produce enough btu to heat the whole boat down to 0 F.

Being cheap and house/children poor at the time, A friend and I did about 80% of the grunt install working with a local installer that came to the boat. He design/lay out the system, bought and delivered the major parts, supervised our work, and did the final install/connecting of the system. The reason I bought the parts through the installer is the parts would have cost me the same buying through him or the direct from the Webasto dealer. So he made some money and the reason he was willing to work with me. Took about a week to install.

Old 22-08-2013, 12:17   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
GG
Check out Ocean Options in Tiverton RI for heat, RO, AC, etc. Plus as mentioned previously, there is no sales tax on boats brought into RI. You could save a lot by docking your boat there for a couple of years. It is not so far from Boston unless you really need to live on it in Boston. Plus there are many more services/boat yards available at more reasonable prices. At least you might consider bringing the boat to the Narragansett for this Winter and to get your initial work done.
Thanks for the suggestion Chris!!! I will definitely check them out.

I had heard about RI and being tax free. Gov Romney was storing his mega yacht there to avoid the tax, and it pissed a bunch of people off

I have to stay in Ma. for a bit longer as my kids are in school here, at least until we take off.

Tags
heating