Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2014, 13:15   #16

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Re: Helicopters and Motor Yachts

Sorry again, I still didn't add the link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cond-hand.html
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 13:20   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
(imagine the weight of a Robinson on a bad landing dropping from 5 feet).
They may weigh less than you think. I've moved plenty of choppers around tie down areas with a hand cart.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 13:44   #18

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Like anyone here is qualified to answer this question...I think he can afford to hire a professional for advice.
Old 24-01-2014, 13:48   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Like anyone here is qualified to answer this question...I think he can afford to hire a professional for advice.
Hey I've seen helicopters fly before so therefor I AM an expert on the subject. But really though what a problem to have. Right now my biggest problem is how much is day care going to cost me each month.
Old 24-01-2014, 14:16   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

In the matter of fact most yachts with helipads give only the possibility of landing and take-off for land based helicopter. Some time they are able to provide refuelling. But they are unable to base the helo on permanent basis and to service them. For this You need a hangar and proper installations. Helo on open deck will not withstand any gale. The helo itself must be deck helo, rated for sea service, with collapsible rotors.
For the time being only non-navy vessels built with full helo facilities are research vessels and ice-breakers.
Research vessels are also very seaworthy by average and I met some really pretty.
I think it is worth to find a good project manager and instruct him to arrange the built with yard specialized in research (helo operating) vessels, and all specialized "yachtwork" (interiors and guest decks arrangements) with chosen yacht yard. It will demand the joint design team.
There are some yards with experience both in yachts and in helo operating ships (for navy), like Lurssen and Blohm & Voss, but they are few of them.

Best regards

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 15:06   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Helicopters and Motor Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
In the matter of fact most yachts with helipads give only the possibility of landing and take-off for land based helicopter. Some time they are able to provide refuelling. But they are unable to base the helo on permanent basis and to service them. For this You need a hangar and proper installations. Helo on open deck will not withstand any gale. The helo itself must be deck helo, rated for sea service, with collapsible rotors.
For the time being only non-navy vessels built with full helo facilities are research vessels and ice-breakers.
Research vessels are also very seaworthy by average and I met some really pretty.
I think it is worth to find a good project manager and instruct him to arrange the built with yard specialized in research (helo operating) vessels, and all specialized "yachtwork" (interiors and guest decks arrangements) with chosen yacht yard. It will demand the joint design team.
There are some yards with experience both in yachts and in helo operating ships (for navy), like Lurssen and Blohm & Voss, but they are few of them.

Best regards

Tomasz
Not correct my friend , there are several super yachts with hangers. Paul Allens superyacht has two heli decks and a hanger for a Sikorsky S-76. Remember these people have more money then many navies !!

Here's a good link on all you need to know

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-ne...ds-superyachts

Dave
Old 24-01-2014, 15:09   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Not correct my friend , there are several super yachts with hangers. Paul Allens superyachts has two heli decks and a hanger for a Sikorsky S-7. Remember these people have more money then many navies !!

Here's a good link on all you need to know

Flying helicopters from the world

Dave
Yes, and because of this I wrote MOST of - not ALL

Regards

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 15:13   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Yes, and because of this I wrote MOST of - not ALL

Regards

Tomasz
No you claimed that there were no non navy or research vessel that could hanger helicopters , that's simply not true. Superyachts have some of the advanced facilities for helos on any ship. Most technology on a superyachts is way beyond anybody" research vessel "

Dave
Old 24-01-2014, 16:21   #24

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad

"Fly-N-Fish", an under 50 ft trawler is for sale and we've seen a 2place chopper land on it before in the bahamas.. think of the fuel your buddy could buy with the money he would save..by the way, the wife flies/lands the chopper..
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 16:47   #25

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

I am just here to help.

Try these.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yach...N8TmoASWjoLYDQ
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 16:59   #26
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

We built the helipad for Ice Bear when she was refit in '99. All carbon. Expensive project, it was a PITA.

ICE BEAR Yacht - Feadship | Yacht Charter Fleet

The designer complained a lot about shoe horning a helipad onto a boat that was too small for it. I know smaller boats have them too, so maybe it was just him or this particular boat. Ice Bear is 177 ft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	74560  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 18:11   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
... But in this, as in megayachts, I am utterly clueless -- anyone here have any words of wisdom?
Hi Dockhead….. this has been my business as Build Captain, Project Manager and Owner’s Representative of large Superyachts (<50m).
Mostly retired now, I have worked for the same clients for over 28 years.

So here are a few organizational thoughts:

New Projects like this go thru 4 Stages:
Conceptual/Feasibility/Bid Package/Production

Your friend’s father is experienced enough in travel logistics to know what he wants so first step is to develop a detailed Owner’s Brief for the conceptual stage. (I actually use a questionnaire for that prior to my first meeting)

Same time, a focused inspection of existing boats that may meet the brief, to organize ideas and see what concepts do not work in reality or due to poor execution.

Helicopters are great on large yachts as they allow efficient access to interest points while keeping mother-ship in a better anchorage. Also facilitates frequent airport runs and is a good emergency and prospecting tool. They also enhance resale value.

Heli-solutions break down to these, depending on various priorities and cruising plans:

1 Landing Only:
Owner uses own for local cruising and lease/charter for other world areas.
I finished a project in 2011 that was for landing a 5 seat Augusta on a 55m yacht… (Could actually land 2 Helis… Smaller one landed just fwd. of bridge)…. This owner flies his own as does his friends. Solution was to convert a heavy commercial hull to a yacht----change from dry stack to wet exhaust and design a yacht body kit and fairing. Brief did not include carrying Heli offshore, but only for coastal hops when weather was reasonable.

2 Onboard Storage… this can be accomplished in a few ways .
a…Removable but structurally sound covers to be erected on helipad for transport (LOA still 55m)
b…Fixed dedicated Hanger positioned Fwd. of landing deck (LOA 73-80m)
c….If client will accept less payload by using a Rotor Folding Kit, then an aft deck landing with gantry or elevator to fold and store below decks is another solution for Ocean passage makers.

Yacht Displacement is more of a design/stability issue than length, so hull choice (steel) is important and a deep draft commercial conversion or exploration type new build design can give the client the heavy footprint and understated luxury and utility that they may prefer.

Most clients new to yachts do not realize that hull and machinery costs are only 10-15% of overall new build costs so they un-necessarily restrict themselves in length during the initial conceptual phase when brainstorming and deciding on the traffic flows and layout.

Keep the length/profile open until you begin the Feasibility Study and design from inside out…. (Form following Function) This is where we usually end up reducing accommodation areas and length when studying ergonomics and by creating simple mock-ups.

The Feasibility Stage is also when full engineering and naval architectural/structural criteria is developed in detail as part of the build specifications. Along with a complete maker’s list and interior design with list of materials, this forms the meat of the detailed Bid Package.

Quite often loose specifications full of good intent are promoted by both the Builder and your Architect-Designer who view themselves as professional colleagues rather than the Owner’s contracted employees.

Job of a Project Manager, is to provide all parties with the info needed so that both the Builder and Owner can make an informed decision

The best advice I can give your friend’s dad is to spend serious money upfront on this Stage before contract delivery pressures and design deficiencies move Change-Order Costs from 2% to industry average of 35%.

The goal is to do your homework to allow builders to quote a fair contractual fixed price (no allowances except nav-com entertainment) and more importantly the client will know exactly what he is getting with no wriggle room due to client’s lack of specified detail.

Re the philanthropic use.... there are foundations already set up for this
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 18:52   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Really now, begging sailors for advice on motor yachts?

First of all, any yachtsmen knows that if there's only room for one helo onboard, that boat belongs to trailer trash, not a real yachtsmen. He should be looking only at vessels that can accommodate two choppers, otherwise how are his friends going to come visit? By launch? Really?

And then there's the question of what yacht. Honestly, isn't that chap sufficiently motivated to go to Monaco or Cannes or someplace similar where he can wander around and see for himself what works and doesn't work? There are even brokers there, who will gladly entertain his requests for more information.

But if he's not willing to go shopping, and he's only interested in, well, the lowest end of the market...really Dockhead. He's just not up to making as serious commitment yet. He should be chartering, not owning. Not yet.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 19:43   #29

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Have seen a relatively small power catamaran (around 60ft) with fairly clear superstructure that had a helipad.

Will look but can't find at present.

Would be easy enough to do with a under 5 mill budget building a purpose built displacement long range power catamaran.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 20:15   #30

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
If I remember correctly, the people on Whale Wars built a heli deck on the Bob Barker while far, far, at sea chasing whalers. Stick welder and some extra metal on board.

I'd be happy to take your friend for a spin on my Motor Yacht, you know... Just to make sure yachting is for him. Before we can cast off though perhaps he might feel like picking up the yard bill for "some" bottom work and plating :^)

I know, I know... In my dreams :^) Though I bet I could fit a heli pad on Strathbelle...

Gene :^)
http://www.Strathbelle.com/

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, yacht