Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2018, 10:54   #1

Boat: Gand Banks 36
hull identification number HIN

The government has issued me a new HID for my 1985 Grand Banks 36.

I have no idea how to put the new identification number into the hull in such a way that it can not be removed without damaging the surface. That is the USCC requirement.
HELP!
moeglein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:55   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: hull identification number HIN

Stamp it on an SS plate, and bond that to the hull?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:14   #3

Is it the HID or the Document Number? Sounds like a Doc #.
At any rate, if it's a Doc you can buy plastic or even vinyl house letters, then glass them inside the hull somewhere like a storage locker, they show thru the fiberglass. Or you can carve them into a wood beam or bulkhead. etc

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:43   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Our boat has no HIN as far as I can tell.

She was built in the UK in 85 and they didn’t have those kind of numbers then, or so I’ve been told. We are USCG documented.

What were the circumstances that brought you to obtaining a new HIN?
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:29   #5

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

If you have Documented the vessel with the Coast Guard [now homeland security], the # is NOT a HIN #, the # is supposed to be attached in a way that is NOT removal and bee easly seen, in the days of commercial sail, the # was carved into a main beam, today from what i have seen, the Coasties don't seem to care if it's not removal, also in the passed, the measured Tonnage was part of the carving, however, it appears this is not the case anylonger, case in point, the boat i now own, has the Doc. # carved into the main beam in the main cabin, but no tonnage.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:35   #6

Copied below is the US Federal regulation pertaining to hull identification numbers.

When I purchased a Hobie Tandem Island Adventure Sailyak about five years ago, it arrived without any hull identification numbers. It left the factory without being stamped. My larger sailboat has a hull number stamped into the fiberglass.

I don't recall if I either made up a number or if I got Hobie to provide me with one, [I recall it was a real hassle to communicate the issue with Hobie and to obtain a response], but in any case the boat is registered with my State, so the boat has "a number" now even though the hull is not scribed with one. But then I am not cross custom's jurisdictions with the sailyak, at best I leave and return to the Flathead Indian Nation [i.e., reservation] when crossing the mid-lake, 14 miles from the marina.

Not sure what the difference is between a "primary" and a "secondary" hull number, I have only ever seen one hull number assigned to a vessel.

§ 181.23 Hull identification numbers required.
(a) A manufacturer must identify each boat produced or imported with primary and secondary hull identification numbers permanently affixed in accordance with § 181.29 of this subpart.

(b) A person who manufactures or imports a boat for his or her own use and not for sale must obtain the required hull identification number in accordance with the requirements of the issuing authority listed in 33 CFR part 173, Appendix A for the boat's State of principal operation and permanently affix the HIN to the boat in accordance with § 181.29 of this subpart.

(c) No person may assign the same HIN to more than one boat.

[USCG-2003-14963, 77 FR 18703, Mar. 28, 2012]
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:22   #7

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeglein View Post

I have no idea how to put the new identification number into the hull in such a way that it can not be removed without damaging the surface. That is the USCC requirement.
HELP!
This is for the USCG Title number:
I glued 3" vinal numbers to the inside hull (transom) then "painted" over them with clear epoxy. The only way to get the numbers off would be to destroy them.

The HID is imprinted into the transom (outside) at the top right by the manufacturer.
Old 03-06-2018, 14:01   #8

Boat: 32 contessa

we had 2 x aluminium dogtags ingraved at the locksmith and used bondo we put one on the stern in the engine locker and the other behind a cushon in the galley ,,,

Never had a drama
Old 03-06-2018, 15:28   #9

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Re: HIN (Hull Identification number) on all boats ... NOT necessarily so.
On F/G production boats, the HIN is usually molded into the top right corner of the transom ... but not always.
My boat was purchased as a Hull & Deck Assembly for owner completion therefore, it does NOT have a HIN.
On completion, the boat was 'Registered' ... same as 'Documented' in USA ... in the process of documentation it was assigned an 'Official Number' which I presume is accepted as a similar identity as the HIN.
The fact that I have Registered the boat, crossed into USA waters & cleared customs, and since had it accepted by US Customs in order to be able to sell it on either side of the border, tells me all is acceptable to the authorities both in USA & Canada.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 19:04   #10

Boat: Spacesailer

In Australia, if the boat doesn't have a HIN when you buy it ie because it's old, you get an agent to do it for you. My last two boats have this and they get two aluminium plates fixed to the hull. One visible and the other hidden. One agent used riv ts and the other self-tapping screws. My other boat (built in the '50s) has no HIN either but the next owner must put one on. Don't know if they're a theft deterrent on my boats. Just being old and scungy should put anyone off.
MartinAdelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 22:02   #11

You can borrow my dremel tool.....
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 17:56   #12

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Our Formosa has a HIN in the paperwork/title, but nothing on the hull. ('81 model). I once found a boat for sale with an identical hull but built by a different Chinese yard. I'm thinking of getting a cheap set of Harbor Freight sttamps, heating them up and branding them into the stern. (Yee Haw, it's round-up time on the old Chilsom trail.) Either that or getting a stainless plate and making it look like it's been there forever.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 18:24   #13

My 74 Tartan came to me without an HIN. It was Calif state registered and had been registered for years with the sail number. My insurance company raised hell about it and I called the Coast Guard and they told me to go to DMV to get an HIN. I researched how the numbers are determined and went to DMV (I just guessed about the month) and told them what I thought it should be and a nice lady re-registered my boat with an HIN number. A dremel tool into the upper right corner of the transom and everybody was happy. I intend to document the boat and I think without an HIN, it would have been a problem. I dont know why the Coast Guard doesnt do this, since it is a federal regulation, but they push it off onto the state. It should be easy. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 15:31   #14

Boat: Casacde 36

You must be from Washington State too. I had the same issue. Found out that the State has been dragging their feet since 1984 so, plenty of information available.
The characters must be at least 1/4 inch tall, evenly spaced.
I stamped them onto two aluminum plates, on of which has about an inch left on each end.. One, I bedded in epoxy and pop-riveted it just above the old HIN, per the CFR.
The second I epoxy bonded to the inside of the hull, down in the bilge, under the propane locker. This one has the protruding ends, which I tabbed over with fiberglass tape. Any tampering will thus be "obvious".
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeglein View Post

HELP!
Hi,

I took a Sharpie and printed the HIN on a piece of fiberglass that was covered by a seat cushion. I put my 1/4inch drill bit in my drill. I cut a short piece of tubing so that when slid up on the drill bit, only a small portion of the drill bit extended beyond the end of the tube. You can also tape the tube to the drill to keep the tube from falling off. Then I took the drill and followed the HIN I drew with the sharpie. I made my letters 4 inches tall. (Note, you can also buy 4 inch stick-on letters and use hat for a guode for the drill)The result was a indelible mark that can not be removed without cutting away that part of the boat.

Hope this is a help.

Larry
s/V reliant
1984 Hunter-37C
Reliant37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull