Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 15:52   #31

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Thank you Lori - BTW - we love cruising the thousand islands in both our sailboats and powerboats and make it down there every couple of years. We are going to go next summer as this year I'm finishing our boat projects and are sticking close to Toronto Island.

Regards, Randy
Old 07-03-2007, 16:01   #32

This is a debate?

Anyone vehmently arguing for one or the other has probably not spent enough time at sea on both types of vessels to understand pros and cons of each.

One is a hammer and one is a screw driver. They are simply different tools getting the same job done.
expatbysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 16:34   #33

It was meant as a light hearted jab...please read the disclaimer at the bottom of the original post
Capct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 16:57   #34

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny
Thank you Lori - BTW - we love cruising the thousand islands in both our sailboats and powerboats and make it down there every couple of years. We are going to go next summer as this year I'm finishing our boat projects and are sticking close to Toronto Island.

Regards, Randy
Hi Benny,
Let us know when you will be heading down this way and we can arrange to meet up.

Lori
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 18:43   #35

Boat: Morgan OI 414
I realize that this forum also has a power boat section and you have some power boats defending you. I too am a power boater, infact, I run power boats more than my sailboat. I however run diesel engines that get more than twice the milage of gas motors. I dont even own a gas powered vehicle. Your talking to a man who owns a one and half ton van and a one and a half ton truck and two Mercedes Benz, all diesels. All my vehicles burn waiste veggie oil and I have 500 gallons stock piled. My power boat even burns the stuff, however I choose not to convert my new Yanmar in my sailboat to it yet. I am frugal and try to save a buck anyway I can. I just love not spending my money with the rich oil refineries. I am ahead of the game. The point I was trying to make is, your not going to make any big passages in your boat ( OK you can go 150 miles, not 1500 or two thousand. Sailboats have been around long before combustion engines. Give us a break, we love our sailboats. And we like using our brains to utilize our God powered boats. Chuck
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 21:04   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewind
I realize that this forum also has a power boat section and you have some power boats defending you. I too am a power boater, infact, I run power boats more than my sailboat. I however run diesel engines that get more than twice the milage of gas motors. I dont even own a gas powered vehicle. Your talking to a man who owns a one and half ton van and a one and a half ton truck and two Mercedes Benz, all diesels. All my vehicles burn waiste veggie oil and I have 500 gallons stock piled. My power boat even burns the stuff, however I choose not to convert my new Yanmar in my sailboat to it yet. I am frugal and try to save a buck anyway I can. I just love not spending my money with the rich oil refineries. I am ahead of the game. The point I was trying to make is, your not going to make any big passages in your boat ( OK you can go 150 miles, not 1500 or two thousand. Sailboats have been around long before combustion engines. Give us a break, we love our sailboats. And we like using our brains to utilize our God powered boats. Chuck
I can't go 1500 miles over open ocean ~granted~but I can go 1500 miles up or down the coast ...going around 250-300 miles between refuels is no big deal,and do it waaay faster.My boat is a coastal cruiser after all.As are most of the bigger gassers and fish gassers around here... Thats how we get around.

Diesel engines are fine but for the price of one diesel I can buy two marine 318's for the price of twin diesels , that would move this boat at the same speeds that it does now , would cost me $80,000 Canadian.
Thats a lot fuel I can put into the tank instead of the diesel dealerships pocket and seeing as I own my boat outright I would rather give my money to the oil companies for fuel rather than to Yanmar or Volvo.I can repower for 15K if I ever have too with new gassers vs 80K for diesels.
Ive sailed in smaller boats before and Im very happy to be under power and moving in a relatively straight line
Besides... my 35 year old beauties really are nice motors... when you throttle up you feel the power.Its a rush if you have never experienced 450 hp rumbling under your feet at 38 knots....add it to the list of stuff to do
Old 07-03-2007, 22:25   #37

Fuel prices just went up another 16 cents a litre here in the land of Oz.....
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 00:07   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yep this isn't a debate, it is a light hearted Jab. Please folks, don't take it all so seriously.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 00:13   #39

I just hate motoring. That's why I'm building something that will sail in next to no wind, (6kts boatspeed in 5 kts true wind) and will sail fast (10-12kts) in around 10 knots. When I am going somewhere, and the wind is too light for our current steel mono, (anything less than a steady 10 knots plus is too light) and I have to motor, it feels like a kind of defeat.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:23   #40

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Already exisits

A sailboard fits those parameters, but is a little light on storgage, sleeping, and space for a motor if needed. But can be thrown on the car and even be stored in the front room of an apartment........
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:11   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
Yep this isn't a debate, it is a light hearted Jab. Please folks, don't take it all so seriously.
Glad to hear you say that Alan.

Is this an apology for infering I'm ignorant?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:28   #42
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
CapCT .. It was exactly what he said - "Yep this isn't a debate, it is a light hearted Jab. Please folks, don't take it all so seriously."

I'm sure that you don't mean to cause trouble or stir it up CapCT. But you need to remember that this medium doesn't always convey thoughts the way an author's written word may mean.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:31   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Well CapCT can't surely be seriouse. It is obviouse he is mentally incompasitated in some way to have two thumping great V8 Petrol engines in the back. That is just plain crazy. The next plain crazy'ness is to want to make 7.5T travel at 38kts. Actually, that's not crazy, it's insane. The only others I know that would want to make large vessels travel at breakneck speeds are Drug smugglers and Coastguard. All crazy folk as well. ;-) :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:02   #44
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
The only others I know that would want to make large vessels travel at breakneck speeds are Drug smugglers and Coastguard. All crazy folk as well. ;-) :-)
Hey now! Watch it blow boater!

I'll put ya on the CG Black List!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:09   #45

Boat: C&C 27
You know Alan is joking. The words boat and fast just don't go together. We all like slow that is why we're not pilots.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote