Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2007, 15:10   #91

Boat: NONE yet
Some how this discussion does not make much sense as far as who is right. We are all responsible for handling the boats in which we are the skipper of PERIOD. So if the motor boat (aka stinkpot) roars past you and causes a wake that upsets your boat (sailboat, canoe, fishing boat, wave runner etc.) they are in direct violation of the law.
The problem is that most people do not want to take responsibility for any of their own actions anymore. I can understand why sailors (people on sailboats) get upset by the derelict actions of some boaters.
I myself own a power boat and did read and understand all the rules of the road and recognize the proper handling of said boat before I put it in the water. My boat is capable of about 60+ MPH (not knots but MPH) however I do not exhibit such speed when there are other boats around nor anywhere near a channel or marina. DUH !!!
That would make me an ass.

With EXXON-MOBIL boosting profits around 64 BILLION for last year (the highest any corporation has profited EVER), I am inclined to never fill the tank on my boat again and just use oars. That being said I have been searching for a sailboat that I can trailer to the lake when ever I damn well please with out having to increase anyones profit.

If everyone just would absorb the rules in place we could all get a long much better. I do thin that a nice blue water boat would bee the pants off of any power boat IMO for pure pleasure and enjoyability. While you have to stop to gas up the power boat the sailboat keeps on course.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 16:12   #92
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So, Charley, since you're punishing Exxon . . .

. . . by refusing to fill your boat's tank, I guess your car must look like Fred Flintstone's, huh? Or do you plan to tow your trailer-sailor to the lake behind a mule?

TaoJones
Old 23-03-2007, 17:44   #93

Boat: looking for one
just the time

When you are young the power boat is great but later you slow down and funds also slow down at this point the sailboat turns great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capct
primarily like why did people buy them?
Deep down they wanted a powerboat

Im sure sailing is mostly just a romantic notion in 2007.....maybe...Captn Bligh and all that...I live on the water 6-7 months of the year or so.
There are sail boats everywhere.... a few guys use em nearly everyday as commuters....putt into the marina....putt back out...

Mostly though they sit bobbing about with the ropes getting covered in otter $hit.....and pigeon gifts.

When the venerable old sailors come down to the dock on the weekend they always "look" like sailors.... but they always motor out....then motor out of the Bay ....and always motor back...70% of the time I only see sailboats under power rather than sail . [Thats a good thing really....at least that way I know they are going in a straight line.]

Im surrounded by sailboats at my blessed little floating hovel....The damn things never move....Bless em...The one chap is down every second day to wash his baby....but never untied the damn lines.Sure looks nice though

Now while I appreciate a man and his dreams and his toys...I'm going to re-define most sail boaters as just guys with white sneakers and silly hats ...who own funny looking powerboats.

disclaimer:The above comment is purely opinionated,silly,and fictional and bears no resemblence to anyone living or dead , real or implied ,and is meant for entertainment and trolling purposes only
bigbubba33157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 18:28   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Wink

Captct;
I once saw a boat(?) similar to yours go KaBoom, right at the fuel dock. The one just next to the CG station on False Creek. Several weeks later while working on my ragboat I smelled gasoline. Turns out another stink potter, on the finger pier opposite mine, had sprung a leak in it's fuel tank and the bilge pump was pumping gasoline into the marina.

Never have seen a sailboat do either of those things..
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 08:37   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by taojones
. . . by refusing to fill your boat's tank, I guess your car must look like Fred Flintstone's, huh? Or do you plan to tow your trailer-sailor to the lake behind a mule?

TaoJones
No my car is not like Fred's. I do choose to ride my bike to work instead of driving 8 miles each way. There are necessary evils, like filling the tank on my truck, which is alot less than the boat takes. I was just making a general statement.
I feel that the peace and quite of sailing is one of the major reasons that people like to sail. Get out on the water and just enjoy the natural surroundings and to get away from the TV the stereo and the general noise of everyday life.
If it where feazable to have a mule team to take my boat to the lake, then I would be all for it. However my neighbors would not like the smell of the mule team as well as the noise that they make. So for now I will still use my truck to tow to the lake.

That being said there are many place far from a fuel dock where the sailboat can go due to the fact that you don't need to pull in and drop another $300 on fuel to get to the next dock. Just my two cents!
Old 24-03-2007, 08:56   #96

Boat: looking for one
Wink wecome to the good life

Its nice to see you have made it past the time of life of speed speed speed. You will find it very nice to slow down and relax. Next step sell that monster gas eating thing called speed boat and hope to see you down in the BVI
bigbubba33157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 09:13   #97

Yeah don't see to many speed boats inbetween the Carib and Florida unless loaded with dope or CG chase said dope boat. I jknow I grew up in Miami and knew a few coasties as well as customs officials.
On a different note altogether I boycotted EXXON after the whole Valdez inceident.
Old 24-03-2007, 09:34   #98
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just having a little fun, Charley . . .

. . . and I do appreciate your efforts to lessen your carbon footprint. The world would be a better place if more people shared your approach to Green living.

That said, I feel that it's important to remember that the primary "engines" on our sailboats, the sails, are not inexpensive, and require some measurable quantity of petro-chemicals to produce. But once the sails are up and drawing, at least the wind is still free (so far).

There is one sailor that I know of whom I'm sure you would appreciate. His name is James Baldwin, and his website is Atom Voyages | Voyaging Around the World on the Sailboat Atom with James and Mei.

James has sailed his 28-foot Pierson Triton around the world twice, the second time after removing her Atomic 4 to gain greater stowage. To my mind, this man is a true sailor!

TaoJones
Old 24-03-2007, 10:16   #99

Tao
Yeah I didn't take it seriously! I live in a very "green freindly town" many people ride bikes and we do have a annual "bike to work day".

I would love to not relly on the big oil companies for anything. I know that is impossible at this time as so many things we use on a regular basis are patrolum products including the computer and keyboard that I am using right now. I simply think it is disscusting that EXXON can raise their prices when ever they damn well please and then record those kind of earnings. Saying that there is an oil shortage. Of course they are only filing a need of the American public. Since alot of people choose to drive SUV's (we call em gluggers).

I do know that sails are not cheap at all, however the average cost of sails and relacement intervils are alot less than the cost of fuel would be for the same amount of miles you would get from a set of sails.
Old 25-03-2007, 23:48   #100
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
One afternoon on the harbour

Hope I attached these right
Photo 1 harbour ferry, estimated speed 15 knots
Photo 2 fishing charter boat, estimated speed 20 knots (he slowed down when he saw the camera come out
Photo 3 recreational boat, estimated speed 10 knots
Photo 4 recreational boat, estimated speed 25 knots
Photo 5 commercial fishing boat, estimated speed 7 knots, failed to give way and yelled abuse to us claiming he was on autopilot. Go figure.
Photo 6 recreational boat, estimated speed 30 knots
All these photos were taken over less than 2 hours, all stinkpots and all well within 50 metres. We were under sail for all of them and were tossed around by the wake. It was very disapointing to see professional skippers ignoring the rules.

Oops, photo order came out a bit wrong but you get the point I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0434.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0435.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	999  

Name:	IMGP0437.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1000   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0438.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1001  

Name:	IMGP0439.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0440.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1003  

NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 12:22   #101
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Photo 5 commercial fishing boat, estimated speed 7 knots, failed to give way and yelled abuse to us claiming he was on autopilot. Go figure.
Now that is both a laugh and dissapointing. You should yell back asking him if he has a licence.
What makes it so sad and frustrating for me is that I can't get a skippers ticket, yet I (would like to think) know the rules and skipper my boat in the same proffesional manner as would be required.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote