Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2021, 05:41   #1

Insuring an Older Boat

From what I gather finding a company to insure an older boat can be difficult.
I am looking to buy a trawler in the 45’ to 60’ range to cruise and live aboard six months a year. Many I'm looking at are 20 to 40 year old models. I found a 31 year old 50 plus footer that I’m very interested in, and called my trusted insurance guy to give me a quote. He said, “sorry, I don’t have anyone who will write a policy for a boat older than 30 years.
I called Boat US insurance / GEICO and they said, “no problem, we insure boats up to 40 years old, as long as it’s fiberglass.” After providing all the particulars, the quote was declined. “Sorry, we only insure boats under 40 feet that are over 30 years old.”
I was told to try Markel. I called them and they said, they only handle boats up to 26 feet, but I could talk to one of their independent agents. I have a call into one.
Does anyone know anything about Markel? Are there another companies you suggest I should be talking to?
I’m open to wood, steel and aluminum boats also. Anyone who will insure them? Are there companies that still insure wooden boats? How about steel or aluminum?
I am thinking there are people to write the insurance, but I’m concerned about high premiums. Any idea how much of a premium I should expect to pay?
I’ll be doing most of my cruising on the eastern seaboard up to Nova Scotia and also in the Great Lakes and down into the Caribbean.
Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.
Thanks.
Booty and the B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 22:09   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Insuring an Older Boat

Try:
https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/boat-insurance/
They do older boats including wood. They have a classic section for older boats.
Many insurance brokers use to sell for them, but you can go direct.
They insure US & Canadian waters out to 25 miles. For The Caribbean, maybe a rider.
Lepke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 23:04   #3

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35

Have you tried lloyds of London and progressive? Do you have a survey that shows the boat is seaworthy and appropriately valued or are you trying to get insurance sans survey?
Old 27-04-2021, 00:44   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

you are doing the right thing .. looking for insurance before you buy the boat.
Old 27-04-2021, 05:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orin View Post
Have you tried lloyds of London and progressive? Do you have a survey that shows the boat is seaworthy and appropriately valued or are you trying to get insurance sans survey?
The only two I have found to write are Chubb and Travelers. Both will require a survey.
I have not tried Lloyds yet.
Thanks.
Old 30-04-2021, 10:27   #6

Boat: 1972 Hatteras 45C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty and the B View Post
From what I gather finding a company to insure an older boat can be difficult.
I am looking to buy a trawler in the 45’ to 60’ range to cruise and live aboard six months a year. Many I'm looking at are 20 to 40 year old models. I found a 31 year old 50 plus footer that I’m very interested in, and called my trusted insurance guy to give me a quote. He said, “sorry, I don’t have anyone who will write a policy for a boat older than 30 years.
I called Boat US insurance / GEICO and they said, “no problem, we insure boats up to 40 years old, as long as it’s fiberglass.” After providing all the particulars, the quote was declined. “Sorry, we only insure boats under 40 feet that are over 30 years old.”
I was told to try Markel. I called them and they said, they only handle boats up to 26 feet, but I could talk to one of their independent agents. I have a call into one.
Does anyone know anything about Markel? Are there another companies you suggest I should be talking to?
I’m open to wood, steel and aluminum boats also. Anyone who will insure them? Are there companies that still insure wooden boats? How about steel or aluminum?
I am thinking there are people to write the insurance, but I’m concerned about high premiums. Any idea how much of a premium I should expect to pay?
I’ll be doing most of my cruising on the eastern seaboard up to Nova Scotia and also in the Great Lakes and down into the Caribbean.
Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.
Thanks.
That's interesting as boat US insures my 1972 Hatteras 45C. I just got my renewal cards for renewal in June. It may be I am grandfathered in.
mike mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 10:47   #7

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II

April Marine had no qualms about insuring a 46-year-old fibreglass sailboat for us. They simply insisted that a few safety-related items found by the surveyor be brought up to a modern standard before "afloat and navigable" coverage would begin. For example, the garage-grade 120V AC breakers with no ELCI/GFI had to be replaced with a marine-rated panel, some old hoses and clamps had to be replaced, we had to install new smoke & CO alarms, etc.
They are Canadian and I'm not sure if they cover customers in your geographic region.
I believe they, like many insurers, require a survey prior to issuing coverage, and require the boat to be re-surveyed at five year intervals. I have never encountered or heard of an insurer who will cover any older boat without a survey, and generally most will either want the survey in hand when they go to quote it, or will load the quote up with legal caveats about "pending acceptable survey".
Old 30-04-2021, 10:57   #8

Boat: 1987 Pearson 39-2

We have Markel because they consistently insure older boats and liveaboards/cruisers. Don't really, don't have much to say: we renew every year and they required a new survey after 5 years, but gave us advanced notice when we renewed the prior year. Our boat is ~35 years old but was under 30 when we first went with Markel, so perhaps that makes a difference? Also, we have never had direct contact with them, but rather through IMS, now part of the Growerie (sp?) Group.
SeaStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 10:59   #9

Markel does insure boats longer than 26 feet. Perhaps you have to use an agent.
richard_wb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 13:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike mck View Post
That's interesting as boat US insures my 1972 Hatteras 45C. I just got my renewal cards for renewal in June. It may be I am grandfathered in.
My nderstaning is you are grandfatherd in.
Old 30-04-2021, 13:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmat View Post
April Marine had no qualms about insuring a 46-year-old fibreglass sailboat for us. They simply insisted that a few safety-related items found by the surveyor be brought up to a modern standard before "afloat and navigable" coverage would begin. For example, the garage-grade 120V AC breakers with no ELCI/GFI had to be replaced with a marine-rated panel, some old hoses and clamps had to be replaced, we had to install new smoke & CO alarms, etc.
They are Canadian and I'm not sure if they cover customers in your geographic region.
I believe they, like many insurers, require a survey prior to issuing coverage, and require the boat to be re-surveyed at five year intervals. I have never encountered or heard of an insurer who will cover any older boat without a survey, and generally most will either want the survey in hand when they go to quote it, or will load the quote up with legal caveats about "pending acceptable survey".

Matt this is also my experience. Thanks.
Old 30-04-2021, 13:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_wb View Post
Markel does insure boats longer than 26 feet. Perhaps you have to use an agent.
I have spoken to Markel directly and you do need to go thru an agent for boats over 26'.
I have also spoken to a couple of agents, including one at Gowrie Group. He told me the only two companies they work with that will insure the boat I'm getting quotes for are Travelers and Chubb.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-06-2021, 18:03   #13

Boat: 1988 Cooper Prowler 10M Sundeck

You could try David Giddings at Giddings Marine insurance here in CA. Small insurance broker with access to many different agencies, experienced with older boats, great guy to work with:

dgiddings@giddingsins.com
(209) 284-0246

Tags
boat