Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2017, 14:18   #1

Interest in buying a power boat

I'm turning 70 and no longer feel capable of sailing, so my wife wants to get a powerboat. We do not know much about them, so would like to start our education.
I would like to explore the Bahamas and she is interested in the Florida Keys, Cuba, and the East Coast.
We would spend most of our time on the hook, living aboard for months at a time and do not care much about speed.
15 years ago we cruised for a year 5000 miles on a 30 ft monohull, but we need more comfort today. We had a brief experience with a 28 foot Tri and lost her 25 miles off the coast of Florida on our way to the Bahamas. Enough time has passed and we’re ready to try again. 30'+ power boats seam to have plenty of space. I like multihulls cause they are so nice on the hook, however they may be beyond our budget.
We would like to spend 50 to 100 thousand USD.
Look forward to any feedback.
WillMcclard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 17:38   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Interest in buying a power boat

Sure! All very possible. Check out this forum's sister site, trawler forum dot com.

You'll find tons of used 35-40' trawlers in your price range. Except maybe near the upper end, you might have to put some work into them to bring them up to full-time cruising standards.

Review the many threads on trawlerforum about boat buying, and what to look for. Some things are the same; window leaks, engines and other systems. Some things are unique to trawlers, like leaky teak decks. And of course, any boat can be a gem or a disaster, depending on how well the previous owner maintained it.

There are a LOT of "broken dreams" out there. People who tried to keep the dream alive longer than they were able to keep up with the maintenance. Boats that sat for years waiting in vain for their owner's health to improve. Boats that were abused as live-aboards by non-boaters.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 05:32   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Will.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 06:24   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

A trawler would seem to fit your needs and many sailors switch to trawlers when sailing becomes physically difficult for them.

You should start reading up on trawlers and go to boat shows where trawlers are offered for sale. Also, if you walk around marinas, many trawler owners will be happy to talk about their boats and show you around.
Old 29-09-2017, 07:17   #5

I would take a look at ranger tugs. A lot of boat for thirtyish feet. Bow and stern thrusters. Diesel so you can take it slow and get good fuel economy.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 09:43   #6

Join the Trawler Forum too.

Trawler Forum

Lots of info and knowledgeable folks, more than willing to offer sound advice.
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 09:53   #7

Hobo packet beat me to it. We sold out Hunter 27 (I've had bigger ones) last year because of age (I was 83) and bought a brand new Ranger Tug 25SC. We don't live aboard but like to cruise the San Juan Islands a lot (WA). For you the RT31 would probably be a good boat.

There is a steep learning crurve but that is also good for the brain. Don't let it go lazy. Steering is way different on a power boat then on a sailboat--took me a while to get use to it, maybe I still need to work on that. Docking is much easier after the first several practices with bow and stern thrusters. Just come into your slip and go sideways.

One thing to think about. The Ranger Tugs have a good resale price. They hold their price so when you want to sell you should do well.

Another interesting fact. A Ranger Tug 25 classic did the loop (East Coast thing) with a single lady at the helm. The book is called "Crossing the Wake". Check it out.

Getting older but still wanting to go out on the water is a problem. For my wife and me (now in our mid eighties) the tug was our answer. I wish you well.
Moreorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 10:07   #8

Boat: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin

After decades of sailing I switched from sail to power. I bought a Carver 355 within your price range, and love the boat. However, as others have posted, the Carver is not ideal for your offshore excursions. The trawler is a good choice.
Capt Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 10:58   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

With age comes wisdom. As has been said several times, you need to visit the Trawler Forum.
Old 29-09-2017, 13:35   #10

Boat: CLC Skerry

I would highly recommend a Grand Banks 32. They are in your price range and they are excellent seagoing boats due to their design and heavy construction. Very livable, easy access to all systems, small enough for two to handle, and they hold their value extremely well.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 15:11   #11

I have been over at the trawler forum. Been getting lots of
Thanks
WillMcclard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 18:00   #12
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

In the same boat.
Been researching.
Buying an Albin 28TE next week.
Seems like the best compromise of all. (No sails but single diesel and protected running gear, tracks good and straight. , good quality, 2 doubles in single cabin.)
https://www.google.com/search?q=albin%2028TE&tbm=isch
Old 30-09-2017, 19:01   #13

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillMcclard View Post
I'm turning 70 and no longer feel capable of sailing, so my wife wants to get a powerboat. We do not know much about them, so would like to start our education.
I would like to explore the Bahamas and she is interested in the Florida Keys, Cuba, and the East Coast.
We would spend most of our time on the hook, living aboard for months at a time and do not care much about speed.
===

We made that switch 15 years ago because my wife was developing back problems and was no longer up for sailing. We've never looked back although I do miss competitive sailboat racing. For the kind of cruising you describe you'll want a diesel engine, thrusters if single engine, a generator, and air conditioning. Look for good fuel and water tankage for an extended cruising range. I prefer a flybridge because of the exceptional visibility but that's a personal choice. You'll also want a capable anchor windlass, chain rode and a modern anchor type such as a Rocna or Spade.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:05   #14

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

I went for a power boat 3 years ago at age 60. It was a good decision. I love sailboats, but never owned one. I'm sure there's less underway work on a power boat, but I think there is more dockside prep for power.
One thing to decide is if you want to go fast. That's not just for fun, but for more destination options and safety. I wouldn't do the Bahamas in a trawler during hurricane season.
I have two 6BTA-270 Cummins diesels. That gets me 20 knots on a light 42 foot hull (1998 Sealine).
If you go for fast, be sure to get a good engine survey. Make the seller run wide open throttle for the rated time (one hour) on the sea trial. Get the manufacturer engine specs. I'd almost rather buy a boat with bad engines and repower.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:07   #15

I live this topic daily. My hell .
I am a young 70 , reasonably good health . Always around boats , mostly power fishing type .
Retired living in FL .
I am a gluten for punishment , I own 2 boats. One is a non working 21 ft Laguna , fishing . In process of re- powering, a 4 cylinder IO that fuel burn is a non issue .
Other is a 31 ft Regal Commodore .
Wife says Lets get a nice boat something we can do together. Started a search , all within Fl. Day trips & weekend visiting family trips within Fl.
Learned cant trust anybody .
We stumbled across locally present boat at a consignment boat dealer when we were not looking for a boat
On a trailer 31ft 9.6 beam is a lot of boat . I trailer at times not fun
Kept at marina .
Knowing all the pit falls twin 6 cylinder gas engines , I.O 's the deal was so
sweet we could not pass it up .
After two years I had too repower , my so called good deal has been eaten up with many repairs. Majority of the repairs I could do, except cant get too anything in engine room . Easier too pull engine too fix .
Cabin is luxury galore leather seating, full galley, head, sleeping, Cold air , every bell & whistle .
We are the exception , we spend too much time aboard. Fishing and just cruising local coastline daily when we are there.
Sleep aboard few nights of every week
Quickly out grew a weekender, learned should have bought more practical and should have had a manufacture in mind rather then shopping the way we did.
Our marina is very nice our home away from home .
We are limited were we can leave cause of IO. Not recommended long term leaving in water, plus bottom not painted.
Since we don't leave in water , flushing, washing, covering, 2 hrs of back breaking work after marina hauls and put into yard. Returning few days later.
I have sailed number of times. Was considering a sail boat, but caved .
Reading this forum most my age are getting out of sailing into a power
Me I am the opposite.
If I don't get a sail ( which I might not like long term )
Load the dogs, wife, myself , make that journey a month or longer .
Between repairs, fuel burn , ( seldom go faster then 10 knots. ) don't care about speed just being around boat, water, marina WATER LIFE
Our boat is pristine, has a value around 50 mark . I want too sell give too broker, roll & add funds but into what ?? THAT IS THE million dollar question
Sport Fisherman ???? not really
Gas guzzler yacht ?? NO , a guy was running add, a 35 ft yacht. On plane one hr apx 20 knots 35 gallons of fuel burn ??
Considering trawler , not too familiar , not crazy about lines.
I like the lines of newer sail boats , Hunter, Benneteau .
I really have a major decision on next boat, especially within budget.
If you get a boat cheap with gas engines and don't care about the thousands of dollars in fuel , lots of boats.
If your sitting at dock , anything works .
With IRMA market will be loaded with Salvage & water issues boats.
My buddy lives in NY , just sold his Tartan 30, moving up too a 2005 33 ft Beneteau . Something he can single handle easily , no climbing , HE IS ALSO 70 .
Big decisions

HAPPY BOATING
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, power boat