Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2021, 15:22   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Is a survey a must have with an older boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
A survey will be required if you are financing the boat.

If not required, it depends upon your experience, knowledge, and understanding of boats.
If you think a 3 year old survey will tell you any current problems, you probably do not have the experience to buy without a survey.

Don't depend on a surveyor. I hired "the best" surveyor in Seattle and got 5 pages of errors. (36' hull instead of 45', wrong anchor rode size, VHF was turned off so reported as not working, wrong engine specs, ignored my order for engine oil analysis, missed the two frozen seacocks that I discovered after purchase, etc.)
So have a survey done and also have experienced friends or boaters look at the boat with you. Listen to them and trust yourself.
I doubt financing would be an option with a 1968 boat nor insurance other than liability.
I would have to look at the survey cost verses the purchase price and how good the buyer is at crawling around in bilges.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 15:34   #17

Boat: Custom built Skookum 53' trawler

A lot can happen in three years. Unless you are a qualified boat builder or professional yacht maintenance person with many years of experience, you need a really good "buyers Surveyor". I personally am a former boat builder, shipyard owner and have a degree in naval architecture and I always use a surveyor of my own choosing because I don't want to make decisions based on my own influence which, in the case of buying a boat, might be emotional attachment and blindness to what might be a major problem down the road.
Basically you will need an educated second opinion and a Devil's advocate.
MV Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 16:02   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

'69 boat....so we're talking a 53 year old boat....not sure you'll even be able to get this surveyed...or financed....
4500 hrs on the engine is not necessarily bad.....if they have been maintained...doubtful in my opinion...
What about the engine fuel filters, wiring, thru'hulls, gauges, instruments, crap in the fuel tank, etc, etc...
Has the boat been hauled ? have you seen what the bottom looks like ?

I can only think if one reason to buy this boat "as is"....it must have a ridiculous low asking price...

My advice....run...don't walk away...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 16:39   #19

Boat: Sea Sport Voyager 30'

wow, a boat of that age and you want to forego a survey? You either must REALLY know boats, or do well in Vegas. Seriously, I think you are taking a huge risk, especially if the boat has sat in a marina for 3 years without moving. I bought a 15yo boat, did a survey that said the boat was great...and still ended up repowering the boat after only 1 year. That boat had sat for most of its life - it had only 200 hrs on the diesel engine. I thought it was a gem, but my normal usage of the boat, which was more than I had ever experienced, proved otherwise.

I now look at a survey as not only grading out the vessel but also as a great tool to inventory the boat, its systems, its current condition, and potential pitfalls. A survey is not that expensive, considering the wealth of information you get out of it. I paid $500 for mine.

Sure, go ahead and don't do a survey but I think it's a poor move.
GWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 17:53   #20

I just wanted to add that it is a Diesel engine, original from 1969, Perkins, and the boat price is just below 100k CAD.
Moretolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 19:32   #21

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
'69 boat....so we're talking a 53 year old boat....not sure you'll even be able to get this surveyed...or financed....
4500 hrs on the engine is not necessarily bad.....if they have been maintained...doubtful in my opinion...
What about the engine fuel filters, wiring, thru'hulls, gauges, instruments, crap in the fuel tank, etc, etc...
Has the boat been hauled ? have you seen what the bottom looks like ?

I can only think if one reason to buy this boat "as is"....it must have a ridiculous low asking price...

My advice....run...don't walk away...
If your advice is like your math the one asking questions might wish to move along to other posters. There are no rules for this process only accepted steps. Two boats I've bought neither I paid for a survey and my insurance accepted an old survey for the first five years of ownership.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 22:01   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moretolife View Post
I just wanted to add that it is a Diesel engine, original from 1969, Perkins, and the boat price is just below 100k CAD.
That seems like a lot of money for such an old boat without any evidence that it has been well maintained or upgraded over those years... but I don't know your market area.

At any rate, investing a k$ or so in a survey seems prudent. It is most likely that the survey will turn up enough flaws that you can negotiate the price down to well cover the cost and perhaps even more.

You don't sound like you have personal experience and skills to make forgoing the survey a good idea... so I'd say you should bite the bullet and hire a surveyor.

Jim
Old 12-04-2021, 22:22   #23

99% of the sellers of 1969 boats should be paying you to take the headache off their hands. If your seller is among the remaining 1% I'd very surprised.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 04:47   #24
Marine Service Provider

ok....52 years.....3 months......2 weeks....1 day.....45 minute and 2 seconds...better ???

I rounded up.....slay me......
Old 13-04-2021, 04:54   #25

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moretolife View Post

At that price and age, I'd do both an marine survey and mechanical (engine) survey.

At that age with those diesels... I'd also 1) be searching out whether parts are available, 2) expecting an asking price less than half of that, maybe 1/3rd, maybe 1/4th, and 3) researching what a repower (for parts availability) might cost.

Today's market is a bit hosed; sellers are adding a spare $100K here and there just because they can... inventory is so low... so maybe your seller has added some "Covid incentive" to what would have been a fair asking price...

-Chris
Old 13-04-2021, 05:02   #26

Any 52 year old boat will have dirty little secrets. If you buy her without a through servey, she will reveal them to you, one at a time for......how long? You will never know for sure what evil is lurking deep in her heart. Even the best surveyor may not find all of her flaws but at least you will have a 'heads up' on the most important issues. Spend the money.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 07:14   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
ok....52 years.....3 months......2 weeks....1 day.....45 minute and 2 seconds...better ???

I rounded up.....slay me......
I thought it was a cheap shot unless you're friends. My other thought was you used my typo of 68.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 07:52   #28
Marine Service Provider

it's kinda irrelevant really....how old does something need to be to be old.......ha ha....people think I'm old....but not me...I think I'm "young"...I'm not gonna qualify to being old till I'm at least 80...maybe...might change my mind when I'm "80"...if I make it there....90 will be my new "old"...'jes sayin'.....
Old 13-04-2021, 09:44   #29

Boat: Camano Troll

You can do anything you want, but the wise thing to do is to pay your own surveyor to survey the boat. The seller's surveyor's loyalty is to the seller, not to you.

Your insurance company may or may not demand a survey. You might want to check with them for their requirements before you do anything.

Tags
boat, survey