Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 09:50   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Island Trader 46 ?

Does anyone here own/have info/opinions on the IT 46? I'm looking for a comfortable and affordable motorsailor for liveaboard while coastal sailing the US and the Caribbean as well.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 17:44   #2

Boat: Grady White 283 Release 28'
The Island Trading 46 motorsailor was built by Marine Trading International who put out the Marine Trader line of trawlers. It is hard to say whether an individual model like the IT 46 is poorly-constructed since Marine Trading subbed boat construction to a series of random yards in Taiwan. Some good, some not good at all. However, there is no question that many boats built by Marine Trading were very badly built, and owners have had to deal with serious delamination problems, poor electrical and plumbing systems, cheap hardware, and more. Most of their boats were designed by Floyd Ayers, but I'm not sure if he did the IT 46 and if he was a competent sailboat naval architect. The IT 46 seemed to me to be 70-80% power, and with sailing as a last resort when I looked at one many years ago. The rig seemed too short and stubby to move the boat in less than 20 knots of breeze.

I would have any IT46 I was interested in gone through by a very competent, very experienced surveyor. It may be a great, affordable boat, but it could also be an endless source of repairs and headaches.

jsschieff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The IT 46's are certainly MOTOR-sailors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IT46.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	3223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IT46.2.jpg
Views:	4314
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	3224  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:04   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Thanks for the info - rather dissapointing.

The Cabo I have is a fine boat but I'm reaching the age where a bit more comfort is appreciated. I really liked the idea of a pilot house and a bit more storage space for living aboard. Well back to the drawing board.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:41   #5

I've got a 42' Island Trader in San Diego. It's a great boat with a strong Lister 90HP. All the sails and all the riggin. I'd sell it. I'm at 619-243-4028 or Petertl55@hotmail.com
petertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:41   #6

We have bought an Island Trader 46 and want to registrate it in Sweden. To do that we need the linedrawing that we not have. Can anybody help us whith that?
Ingegerd
ingegerd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 19:05   #7

Boat: 1988 46' Island Trader by Marine Trader
We just bought an Island Trader 46. The Coup D' Amour. We love her!

www.matthewandjuliesail.blogspot.com
Coup d Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:01   #8

Boat: 43' Vista Aft Cabin 'Victoria"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Does anyone here own/have info/opinions on the IT 46? I'm looking for a comfortable and affordable motorsailor for liveaboard while coastal sailing the US and the Caribbean as well.
I chartered one with friends back in 1981 in the Bahamas. The one I was on seemed well constructed and we had no issues. The accomodations were quite large and although relatively new back then, the boat did not leak and craftsmanship was quite good. I believe though as mentioned, that several yards may have built these, a very thorough inspection and survey would be in order.
In regards to the performance, the boat was very slow under sail, about 5 knots max (faster of course under power) as I remember and did not like to go to windward without motor sailing. Also the one I was on supposedly drew 6' but we 'bumped' a couple of times in water that we sounded with a lead line at less than that, so I would check the specs. Also there may have been different versions in later years, as the one I was on was supposedly the first one BSY had gotten. I think it had a Ford Lehman 120, but I am not positive, it was a red engine though I am sure. Good Luck.
Old 23-04-2011, 16:39   #9

Re: Island Trader 46 ?

Finally got the masts up on our 46' Island Trader the Coup d' Amour yesterday...what excitement.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingegerd57 View Post
We have bought an Island Trader 46 and want to registrate it in Sweden. To do that we need the linedrawing that we not have. Can anybody help us whith that?
Ingegerd
Hello Ingegerd

I write to you to hear about your registration of the TI 46 i Sweden.
The reason is that I maybe want to buy a similar boat and registrer it in Denmark.
So please reply to tell wether you manage to do it or not!!!!

Best regard kent
Kent Bering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 09:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
My name is Dudley Haycraft and I am new to this site, but can offer some insights to you about Marine Traders. This goes for the motorsailers as well as the trawlers. Yes, they can have some mechanical issues, although none particularly serious for anyone who has some skills. The de-lamination and rot problems happened mostly in trawlers built in the mid to late '70's. I own a 40' I T MS, bought it in 1992 it is a little battleship, weighing approx. 40,000 lbs. we've had all over most of the western atlantic, and wouldn't be afraid to take her anywhere. The cabin lines of the 40 and the 46 are somewhat abrupt, giving them an awkward look, but from the waterline down, they are as fair as any classic sailboat. They do not pound under choppy conditions. this is important, take it from me. I can tell you lots more if you so desire......Dudley
Dudley Haycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:52   #12

Island Trader 46 Owners | Facebook

Old 27-06-2012, 10:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley Haycraft View Post
My name is Dudley Haycraft and I am new to this site, but can offer some insights to you about Marine Traders. This goes for the motorsailers as well as the trawlers. Yes, they can have some mechanical issues, although none particularly serious for anyone who has some skills. The de-lamination and rot problems happened mostly in trawlers built in the mid to late '70's. I own a 40' I T MS, bought it in 1992 it is a little battleship, weighing approx. 40,000 lbs. we've had all over most of the western atlantic, and wouldn't be afraid to take her anywhere. The cabin lines of the 40 and the 46 are somewhat abrupt, giving them an awkward look, but from the waterline down, they are as fair as any classic sailboat. They do not pound under choppy conditions. this is important, take it from me. I can tell you lots more if you so desire......Dudley
Hi Dudly, Iam looking at an IT 46 in San Francisco to buy. I will have it survered first. Can you tell me any down side to the boat, how in your opinion it sails, or any up side to them.... I would really appreciate any
input yopu might have...Thank you
Michael Burk
michael Burk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 16:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingegerd57 View Post
Ingegerd
Hi, Iam looking at an island trader 46, and I wondered if you could give me
your opinion on the sailing chacteristics and the down side and the up side
of this vessle ? We want to sail to the south pacific after we ready our vessle if we but the 46....
I would appreciate any in put you can offer
Thank you
michael Burk
michael Burk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 12:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael Burk View Post
Hi, Iam looking at an island trader 46, and I wondered if you could give me
your opinion on the sailing chacteristics and the down side and the up side
of this vessle ? We want to sail to the south pacific after we ready our vessle if we but the 46....
I would appreciate any in put you can offer
Thank you
michael Burk
I dont have any direct experience with the IT46, but as with the IT40, I have no reason to think it wouldn't sail well with a rudder modification. Thats what we did with our 40' , plus 1/2" lexan on all cabin house windows...boat is souid as a brick. Remember, this is a MOTOR sailer; it wasn't designed to sail w/o engine running. with proper size & shape of rudder, boat will sail very well, but wont go closer than close reach, oh well.......DUDLEY
Dudley Haycraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island trader