Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2011, 01:46   #1

Question LA to Hawaii

I am looking into getting a Trawler, my first Trawler. To be honest, I don't know much about boats. I do know quite a bit about diesel power plants and on this site I have found some info about the difference between planing & displacement hulls. I still am not sure if the Trawler I am looking @ is capable of making the 2200 nm. trip from LA to Hawaii.

Here are some specs on the boat.

1983 41’ Hershine trawler
displacement hull, I believe
2 Perkins diesels 6-354's

What do you think, Will it make it?
What are some estimates on Cruise Speed & Gallons per hour.
Grapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 07:27   #2
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapple View Post
I am looking into getting a Trawler, my first Trawler. To be honest, I don't know much about boats. I do know quite a bit about diesel power plants and on this site I have found some info about the difference between planing & displacement hulls. I still am not sure if the Trawler I am looking @ is capable of making the 2200 nm. trip from LA to Hawaii.

Here are some specs on the boat.

1983 41’ Hershine trawler
displacement hull, I believe
2 Perkins diesels 6-354's

What do you think, Will it make it?
What are some estimates on Cruise Speed & Gallons per hour.
You might also post what the fuel capacity is...

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 08:07   #3

Boat: Catalina 34
Yup, fuel capacity and burn rates (if you know them) are needed.
Old 21-01-2011, 09:55   #4

Boat: 43' Vista Aft Cabin 'Victoria"
There is a 42' Hershine not far from me, it has Ford Lehmans though. The one near me is your standard Taiwan Trawler and has two 250 gallon tanks (originally had a little less but the owner just replaced the original tanks which rusted out, I think they were about 225 gal. each). I am sure one of these in good shape could make the trip, weather permitting, with the addition of some bladder tankage as I don't think you'll have enough fuel capacity no matter what size the current tankage is. I used to deliver boats when I was young and foolish and it was not at all uncommon to have to transfer fuel from bladders to fixed tanks enroute. However if the goal is simply to get the boat to Hawaii, not the trip itself, you could ship it as deck freight on a space available basis and maybe save some $$$ and stress.
Old 21-01-2011, 10:37   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
No twin engine trawler with less than 1,500 gallons of fuel is going to make that trip. A twin engine Lehman or Perkins should burn about 4 gph for both at 7 kts. 2,200 miles is more than 300 hours or 1,200 gallons of diesel. Go to Dreamer for some real world data on twin engine trawler fuel consumption.

There are very, very few production trawlers with that kind of range, a Nordhavn being one of them.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 11:50   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and thanks for the question.

I watched a trawler get ready for the trip the opposite direction. He loaded at least 8 more 55 gal. drums of fuel aboard before heading out. I don't know any more specifics than that.

I would think a motor sailer would be a better bet for the trip.

kind regards,
Old 21-01-2011, 12:57   #7

Boat: Nordhavn 47
It seems like there are a number of single engine diesels that have tank capacity and low fuel consumption to make that type of trip but they are often custom designs. It seems like Nordhavn and Kadey-Krogen have a bunch and the other companies like Defever will have some models that have the capacity and others that don't.
I searched for "stabilizer" on yacht world and came up with a good list. It seems like most of the heavy displacement trawlers that can go that far also have some type of stabilizer system (either fin or paravane) so you can narrow the search down to a manageable number for an initial perusal.

Hope this helps.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 16:44   #8

Thumbs up

Thank you to everyone who posted.
All the info Helped me allot.

I would have posted the Fuel Cap. & GPH but they where not available.

From what I have gathered, if this boat is going to Hawaii ill need a an extra fuel bladder.

The original owner was my friends uncle, he is now dead and my friend wants me to buy the boat from him. He & I are in CA, the boat is in FL right now. he is shady on the details. when we get to FL and I have more detail on the boat. I will post again.

Thanks Everyone.
Grapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 16:00   #9

Boat: Willard 40PH trawler, ALOHA
Re: LA to Hawaii

I will be makiing the 2700nm trip from Cabo to Hawaii this next November in my 2002 Willard 40PH trawler. I have a single John Deere turbo diesel with 700 gallons aboard in internal tanks. I don't need to carry external fuel in bladders. I will burn about 500 gallons on this trip including half time use of a 4kw generator. I will average about 7kts (@ 1.25 gph) depending on the weather. I have found that I don't need stabilizers of any kind. These numbers have been verified by extensive cruising from British Columbia to Mexico over the last 8 years.

Patrick
Willard 40PH
ALOHA
La Paz, MX
alohaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 19:38   #10

Boat: Nordhavn 43

Patrick, how are you? So glad to see you on here!

Grapple, I have a Nordhavn 43 and have circumnavigated with it, so I can vouch that ocean crossing can be done with the right trawler, but it doesn't sound like the boat you have in mind is truly blue water capable. There is more than just fuel consumption to think about; there are a lot of "extras" that have to go into a trawler to make it safe for blue water. Like, does it have reinforced windows and doors that can take a bashing from big waves (and I can attest the waves are BIG in the Pacific) without leaking? Does it have a weighted keel so it doesn't flip in big waves? Is it equipped with suitable navigation equipment and are you willing to spend time learning how to navigate by hand with a sextant in case your electronics go out? And there is so much more to consider.

I know Patrick has a well designed boat (that he designed himself, BTW) that is sea kindly, but even so, I am also sure he has a tougher stomach than I do. I would never, ever consider doing an ocean crossing without stabilization. In fact, we had paravanes installed as a back up system to our active fin stabilizers because we were so concerned about consistent stabilization. People have done it in trawlers without stabilization, but it can be really, really tough.

Christi Grab
m/y Kosmos
Nordhavn 43
San Diego, CA
ChristiGrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 20:14   #11
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristiGrab View Post

Grapple, I have a Nordhavn 43 and have circumnavigated with it, so I can vouch that ocean crossing can be done with the right trawler, but it doesn't sound like the boat you have in mind is truly blue water capable. There is more than just fuel consumption to think about; there are a lot of "extras" that have to go into a trawler to make it safe for blue water. Like, does it have reinforced windows and doors that can take a bashing from big waves (and I can attest the waves are BIG in the Pacific) without leaking? Does it have a weighted keel so it doesn't flip in big waves? Is it equipped with suitable navigation equipment and are you willing to spend time learning how to navigate by hand with a sextant in case your electronics go out? And there is so much more to consider.

I know Patrick has a well designed boat (that he designed himself, BTW) that is sea kindly, but even so, I am also sure he has a tougher stomach than I do. I would never, ever consider doing an ocean crossing without stabilization. In fact, we had paravanes installed as a back up system to our active fin stabilizers because we were so concerned about consistent stabilization. People have done it in trawlers without stabilization, but it can be really, really tough.

Christi Grab
m/y Kosmos
Nordhavn 43
San Diego, CA
Excellent advice.

To add, Christi only touched the surface.

Nordhavns have fuel polishers, day tanks, backup systems, a get home engine, and many more features. Not the least of which is a standup engine room with hand rails around the engine, so you can do maintenance while tossing around in the middle of nowhere. Not sure if it's standard (I think it might be), but the one I looked at had a new oil tank and used oil tank and a setup where an oil change could be done with only turning a couple of valves and turning on a pump.

And, still, I have only touched the surface.

The Nordhavns are built from the ground up to be a passagemaker.

I'll probably never be able to afford any Nordhavn, but I really love the 62. And I'd be more than happy with an old used 40.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 05:02   #12

Good luck in your purchase. Seems like you've got some great advice and guidance here. If you decide against your buddies trawler, please PM me his info. I am looking for a trawler for calmer waters on the Atlantic Intracoastal.

Good luck!
NY GIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 19:14   #13

Boat: Willard 40PH trawler, ALOHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristiGrab View Post
Aloha and Hola Christi. Check your personal email!
alohaboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii