Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2020, 13:50   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Lake Champlain to Hudson River

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
The State of NY canal System publishes a great book, The Cruising Guide to the New York State Canal System.

This year, when I checked pre-pandemic, they were already behind on production. It's possible they never even printed it, or perhaps they did and have a ton left over. It's worth giving them a call to find out. I forget which office prints it, but they're all listed here: Canal Phone Numbers - New York State Canals

Also, go to their web site, New York State Canals and check out all the on-line maps (charts) and other info.

This way, you can plan the trip yourself based on your speed, where you'd like to stop, and how long a day you want to put in. I will say that the lock operating hours this year were subject to change, especially on the Western half of the Erie, but hopefully next year things will be back on the published schedules.
Unless it has changed NY does a hell of a job maintaining the barge canals. draining sections during freezes.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 14:10   #17

Boat: Pearson 424
Re: Lake Champlain to Hudson River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Amen on lock operators being helpful. I think it all comes down how you treat them. An A-hole can have another experience. That water can come in or flow out at there control.
I moved my Catalina from Ontario to Champlain at the beginning of May in 2012. I was worried about my fuel consumption so one tender closed my boat in the lock and took me to the gas station in his personal vehicle. We had to go to two stations as the first was closed. A second tender at another lock hooked us up with sugar for our coffee(my father mistakenly brought salt)!
They are very friendly and helpful.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hudson