Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2014, 17:18   #16

Boat: Various
Re: Large older MY's, cheap to buy but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
This I'm very happy to hear. Like I said I pulled the numbers from the review I posted above. I'd rather go slow too to save on fuel burn and mechanical wear.
Pascoe isn't god. I mean that actually with respect, but he has opinions like any others. And while talking about consumption at cruise is fine, most people don't run those speeds. We do, but we know we're the oddballs. And even we don't all the time. Every reviewer is just a single reviewer whose opinions may vary from yours. I can look at reviews on PMY and Boattest and tell you certain things that will be said based on the reviewer. And if I was reviewing my personal prejudices would come through too, regardless of how hard I tried to be objective.

On the Hatteras he says unwieldy at 6'. Well, it isn't if it has stablizers. Hatteras 60'+ need them for true rough water, but then they'll handle it when others won't. As to the overhaul frequency he gives, I know many Hatteras owners and none experiencing that frequency. Perhaps service but nothing major that frequent. He says slow by today's standards. Standards for what? It's faster than trawlers, slower than sports cruisers, faster than passagemakers. Also note that review is 13 years old. Just saying don't let one reviewer over influence you. As to fuel usage, best to find a chart covering the entire range of performance.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 17:33   #17

Quote:

But in fairness to me you have to admit your mission statement has changed over time. When you first arrived on CF as one of the many "wannabes", I took you seriously and figured out early you would be one of the few that buy the boat and start the dream. Look back at those posts. But when you first showed up it was with the idea of crossing oceans. Then coastal cruising and now marina living with maybe some small trips. Had I known this was going to be your mission from the beginning, I wouldn't have bothered with the newer, lighter displacement designs and probably would have suggested an older Hatt just because of their reputation and numbers available.
Mission creep. Happens a lot in boats as well as real life. It's part of the process. There certainly was a major change in direction when ocean crossings on "her first boat" was removed from the design/selection criteria, whether it be power or sail.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 17:36   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Bottom line is your pleased with your purchase and that is what counts. The collective wisdom of the CF community can make suggestions on how to cruise economically.
She's not asking for that. Not only do you appear to be forcing it down her throat but you appear to be fully intent on making life difficult for her thats why you put some irrelevant post in reply to her ad for a captain.

Whats wrong? As it appears you are being spiteful?

Why dont you let her alone?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 17:48   #19

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
She's not asking for that. Not only do you appear to be forcing it down her throat but you appear to be fully intent on making life difficult for her thats why you put some irrelevant post in reply to her ad for a captain.

Whats wrong? As it appears you are being spiteful?

Why dont you let her alone?

Mark
Mark, I thought you knew me better than that? I didn't know till today that GG isn't interested in anchorages, and that post was just a suggestion on cheaper living on the hook, i.e., enough of a battery bank and inverter to reduce gen set run times. You know, little things like swapping out incandescent for LED, turning off auto defrost on the fridge, etc.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 17:57   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I do. Thats why I am surprised.
Maybe I am missing something.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 17:58   #21

Quote:
Mark, I thought you knew me better than that? I didn't know till today that GG isn't interested in anchorages, and that post was just a suggestion on cheaper living on the hook, ...
Oh, no, Bob. Yikes!!! I posted on her blog, congratulating her on a great boat, but suggested she swap out the puny Delta anchor for a next gen one.

Now ya tell me!!!

You're right, that mission creep sure is creepy.
Old 25-05-2014, 18:06   #22

Quote:
But in fairness to me you have to admit your mission statement has changed over time.
There has been NO change in "mission statement." This boat is an inexpensive option that suits my needs right now. It's pedigree with a great resale history. It is a practice boat to learn on. The next boat will be a passagemaker... and I will world travel.
Old 25-05-2014, 18:07   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I do. Thats why I am surprised.
Maybe I am missing something.
It would take too much of your time to follow all of GG's posts, but for what she wanted in the beginning, my suggestions were sound IMHO. Long distance, open ocean, live aboard cruising requires a much different vessel than live aboard marina life with the occasional short hops. She bought the perfect boat for her now intended purpose.
Old 25-05-2014, 18:10   #24

Bob, it looks like we may have to simply agree to disagree on this one. Probably not worth goin' there.

GG, again, great boat for what you have in mind. Congratulations and have fun.

What are your next steps going to be? Haven't heard much from you here on that Bahamas idea from a few weeks ago, and your blog is "catching up" since I think we all understand how busy you are with "boaty" things now.

All the best.
Old 25-05-2014, 18:18   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Bob, it looks like we may have to simply agree to disagree on this one. Probably not worth goin' there.

GG, again, great boat for what you have in mind. Congratulations and have fun.

What are your next steps going to be? Haven't heard much from you here on that Bahamas idea from a few weeks ago, and your blog is "catching up" since I think we all understand how busy you are with "boaty" things now.

All the best.
Thanks Stu!

Your right, I have been very busy with trying to get everything in order. There are a few things that I want to have done in Florida, so I am playing it by ear with the Bahamas. I would love to go, but it just depends on the timing of everything.
Old 25-05-2014, 18:19   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
There has been NO change in "mission statement." This boat is an inexpensive option that suits my needs right now. It's pedigree with a great resale history. It is a practice boat to learn on. The next boat will be a passagemaker... and I will world travel.
I understand now, and the dream is still alive. You will learn a lot with your practice boat before the big step.

For that big step of world travel, maybe a Dashew is in your future. I think even the CF community that consists of rag baggers would agree a FPB would be their powerboat of choice for that mission. BTW, I'd love to tell you why Steve Dashew calls his powerboat line FPB but I want to keep my posting privileges.
Old 25-05-2014, 18:27   #27

Quote:
I understand now, and the dream is still alive.
Dreams are for dreamers and plans are for doers.
Old 25-05-2014, 18:34   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Dreams are for dreamers and plans are for doers.
Didn't mean it that way. All is good, I hope your plans realize fruition for an awesome world cruising experience.
Old 26-05-2014, 04:30   #29

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Magnawake's input largely mirrors ours; our boat is relatively inexpensive to run.

FWIW, there's a '73 40' Hatteras Convertible (sportfish/cruiser) docked next to us, recently repowered with Cummins B diesels (125 hours) and a new genset, apparently for sale for $75K. The boat is in great condition... and I'd guess the repower cost about $90K. I'd guess it'd be a real bargain for someone interested in using it long enough to benefit from the diesels...

-Chris
]
Old 26-05-2014, 10:08   #30

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Magnawake's input largely mirrors ours; our boat is relatively inexpensive to run.

FWIW, there's a '73 40' Hatteras Convertible (sportfish/cruiser) docked next to us, recently repowered with Cummins B diesels (125 hours) and a new genset, apparently for sale for $75K. The boat is in great condition... and I'd guess the repower cost about $90K. I'd guess it'd be a real bargain for someone interested in using it long enough to benefit from the diesels...

-Chris
]
If I was going for an older boat, Hatteras would always be at the top of my list as structurally they are generally so sound and while the equipment may need repair or replacement, it's generally also easier to do so than on many boats.

There are a few other power boat brands that have withstood time well.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap