Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2021, 08:51   #31

Re: Largest cruiser that can go on a trailer at a boat ramp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augi View Post
An idea is find a dry storage location that allows the boat you chose to be stored on it's trailer with the mast up. So the dry storage location would have to have a boat ramp or have a lift to launch, retrieve the boat. That way you don't have to raise and lower the mast each time you go sailing. That means you will sail a lot more. If the dry storage location has a lift and a tractor to tow the boat on it's trailer to the lift then you don't even have to hook the trailer up to your car or truck and do the launching, retrieving yourself. That again reduces the hassle factor which means you will sail more.
For your use if you have no need to trailer the boat on a public street or road then you don't need a permit if the beam of the boat is greater 8.5' and a solution like the above will work well.

Or maybe the optimal solution(close to your house), is a dry storage place that does not have a boat ramp or lift and requires to go a short distance on a public street or public road but allows the mast to be left up . Then you decide if going with a boat with greater than 8.5' beam is worth having to have a permit to be street legal. Or maybe in J-Ville, Fl. close to the water the 8.5' beam is not enforced if you don't have a permit. Check carefully what is permitted at whatever dry storage place in terms of size boat they will take on and what size, spec of sailboat they will launch and retrieve with their tractor using a ramp or their lift. or maybe you don't mind lowering and raising the mast each time and you decide to keep the boat at your house. They also may not be willing to launch and retrieve a trimaran using their lift or maybe even their ramp if they are using their trailer. If you are only going to trailer on public roads in Florida only and you have a semi truck maybe the need of having to have only a permit for Florida permit and the hassle of having a slightly oversize width is no problem for you. Everyone has different needs, wants and desires and the trade offs work differently for each individual. For me going as small a boat that will work for me for a specific use with the least hassle is always my choice. As you add length, in general, the expense, hassle factor, and difficulty to sail single or short handed goes up exponentially. I love to sail but don't like boats much, if you can follow that logic. Unfortunately, a boat is a necessary evil to be able to sail. I would never be willing to raise and lower the mast each time I go sailing. Others are different. The other end of the spectrum are the people love to always be working, tinkering on their boat but don't sail much.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 10:29   #32

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peconiceast View Post
I trailer beneteau 311 swing keel
Takes about 4 hrs to step mast
With at least three people.
Just to step the mast? Or does that include the rigging and sails?
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 11:42   #33

With a semi and only 2 miles, the limiting factor is likely to be the draft and available ramp depth.

If you can get the boat onto the trailer, you have enough power to get it out of the water.

Flybridge power boats are problematic due to height clearances, so a sedan style would be better. Assuming you can keep the draft under 4ft, you can probably get well into the mid 30ft range or larger. Plenty big enough to cross to the Bahamas.

If you aren't worried about permits, a power cat could be a nice option. You would probably need modify the trailer but really not that complicated. They are wide but the shallow draft can make the boat launch easier (you will likely take up 2 slots while launching).

Problem with sailboats is much above the mid-20ft range, managing the mast starts becoming a project by itself. Once you have to arrange to have the mast pulled, may as well have them haul the boat and set it on the trailer.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 12:23   #34

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
I need to be able to pull the boat out a ramp, without a travel lift
A boat ramp is where a lot of professional boat movers load/unload the boat.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 08:52   #35

Boat: Catalina 30

Island Packet now makes the Seaward line of sailboats. Their largest tailorable sailboat was a Seaward 46RK with a retractable keel. In theory it only took one or two people to raise/lower the mast.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 09:15   #36

Boat: Island Packet 349

Lots of inappropriate comments above about unstepping masts and limitations of the keel draft in a powered boats section.

OP: you are limited mostly by the beam, 8’6” without a permit and 10’ or whatever permit you can get if you don’t mind going the permit route. This puts you in roughly a 30 foot length territory. One of the most popular cruisers in this category is a Ranger Tug 31. If you want to explore alternatives, it would probably be better to check with brand specific cites, such as a Sea Ray owners forum.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 09:23   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
Island Packet now makes the Seaward line of sailboats. Their largest tailorable sailboat was a Seaward 46RK with a retractable keel. In theory it only took one or two people to raise/lower the mast.

A seaward 46 RK has a beam of 13' and a displacement of 23,000 lbs. You can trailer a Saturn V booster but it is not "trailerable".

A Seaward 46 RK is not considered "trailerable".
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 09:41   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Lots of inappropriate comments above about unstepping masts and limitations of the keel draft in a powered boats section.

OP: you are limited mostly by the beam, 8’6” without a permit and 10’ or whatever permit you can get if you don’t mind going the permit route....
Too funny.

You called out others for not fully comprehending the original post...then responded with a comment ignores the original post.

Quote: I own a semi truck, and understand oversize load permits.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 09:53   #39

Boat: Island Packet 349

What part of the original post I have ignored?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 09:54   #40

Wait for it!

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:18   #41

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

My 43' Express cruiser is regularly hauled by a local boat mover using a tractor trailer rig. It's 14'6" wide and about 28,000 pounds with a 3'9" draft.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:00   #42

Boat: Pearson 386

Perhaps a Hake Seaward 25 would do what you want. Below is a link I found for one that has both tandem axel trailer and an inboard diesel. You don't need a semi to tow it just a good strong truck. The boat with its swing keel up draws just over 2 ft.
https://www.shoppok.com/kalamazoo/a,...Seaward-25.htm
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:01   #43

My bet would be on a Seward 26 or Corsair 31.
rmhutch59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:20   #44

Send a message via Skype™ to wackerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by out42 View Post
Corsair 31. Easy to launch and trail, sails brilliantly, circumnavigated the North pole. No contest for me.
+1 for F-boats, but you won't really need a semi, just a medium SUV. Also designed for easy mast lowering.
wackerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:22   #45

Boat: Cruisers Sea Devil 30'

I keep my Cruisers ~30 foot Sea Devil on a trailer. The trailer is 3 axles rated at 10500lbs. Pay dry storage and launch when I go out using my 3/4 ton dodge. But if I have to move it on a public road then I have to permit it and use a bigger truck
fleetwise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruise, cruiser, ramp, trailer