Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2021, 11:42   #46

Boat: Imexus 28
Re: Largest cruiser that can go on a trailer at a boat ramp?

Not the largest but a way easier solution than many offered here is the Imexus 28. Fully legally road Trailable at just over 8 foot wide and under 7000 lbs loaded for cruising. Standing headroom just ( I am 6 foot 2) enclosed shower/head , seating for 6, beds for 5.5 , draws 1 foot with everything retracted and has the ability to safely traverse long distances quickly planing under its huge inboard diesel whilst being an acceptable cruising sailing yacht whilst no upwind into a chop speedster. Much tougher, bigger and more yacht like in style and both interior and exterior feel than a McGreggor 26 but with similar use concepts built for the tougher sailing conditions in Europe. It does however have walk around decks and a great swim platform. The big inboard diesel (usually 140hp mine 180) gives over 20 knots fully loaded for extended cruising and mine has reached 30 knots empty. Huge alternator and heat exchanger hot water also. The only occasionally used planing ability at high speed under engine allows ambitious sailing crossings in good weather windows with a high speed escape under power available if conditions start to change. It also has the best integrated one person mast raising system I have seen in 50 years of sailing trailable yachts. This remains permanently attached making road bridges and powerlines relatively easily navigable as it can be lowered by one person still steering. Just a thought!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	852CA67D-CA32-4238-914F-BEDE01338909.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	233612  
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:20   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
I need to be able to pull the boat out a ramp, without a travel lift
The trailer that boat movers use does go in the water. Hydraulics reconfigure under the water and lift the boat up. You then haul it out. Not cheap, I bet but it sure does the job.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:31   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I have seen a 32 foot sport fisherman hauled out by a suburban with dual rears and four wheel drive. In most states there is a road limit to length hauled behind an ordinary vehicle.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:12   #49

Boat: Hake 32RK

Seaward 32 RK, formerly made by Hake in StewarT fL, NOW OWNED BY Island Packet...I have a 2010 and used to trailer it to and from Marina twice per year with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid and a Lexus 450RX Hybrid. Now sits on a lift on canal in backyard but easy to trailer, no height issues (keel up she draws less than 18in) and weighs about 8500 lbs unburdened (12500 fully on her lines). One person can step and unstep mast and she is rigged for trailering with mast aboard.
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:14   #50

Boat: ODay 272 LE

Most of the advice I see here looks good to me. I trailer and launch O'Day 27 regularly for the past 16 years. The trailer was custom-built and at first needed some adjustments but now we can completely launch or retrieve within a two-hour segment. She is a 3 foot draft 5300 lb. The Mast is raised and lowered using an A-frame made of two by fours put against a chainplates and hinged in the front and attached to the Furler with a line leading back to the port side winch. There's several good descriptions online for this process. I have seen several people disconnect trailers and use tow straps but it is extremely risky. My trailer has a 9 foot extension tongue that pulls out below the towing tongue and works great. The boat sits 12ft 6in above the ground when on the trailer. Wish you the best.
jlubinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:05   #51

Howdy!

We are designing and re-designing something similar, so I will toss this in as a possibility:

We are engineering an all-metal trailerable coaster landing-craft of about 53'+/- by about 102".
To reach shallow shores, our water draft is less than 5'.
For street manoeuvres, our air draft is slightly less than your 13'6" with the multi-mast folded.

Although our coaster design might conflict with your off-shore stipulation...
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruise, cruiser, ramp, trailer