Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2019, 10:23   #31

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Looking to buy used large ship

Get an issue of Boats and Harbors you will probably find what you are looking for. Sounds like folly but it's your life.

Boats & Harbors PH:931 484 6100 Email:
gdonnelly@boats-and-harbors.com
Online www.boats-and-harbors.com
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 10:41   #32

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

I have a few questions.
1. How will you power the many pumps required for water pressure and bilges?
2. How will you power water-making, water heating, refrigeration, and air conditioning?
3. How will you get fuel to the vessel?
4. How will you handle waste & garbage removal?
5. How many full-time crew will you have to keep the boat water-tight and livable?
6. How will you do periodic haul-outs or dry-docks?
7. Have you figured in the cost of bottom jobs and general painting?

I've never owned a "ship" and it's all I can do to keep up with the maintenance of my 40' plastic sailboat; your idea sounds daunting indeed, even with generous cash flow and many fellow liveaboards.

If you can pull it off, you could make one hell of a great video; I know I'd be interested in seeing it.

This may provide some inspiration:

Keep us posted and best of luck!

Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 10:50   #33

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

If that is the case, I'd not recommend your scheme, for it is exactly this mindset that leads to derelict boats clogging anchorages and infuriating the local householders and constabulary. There are plenty of threads here on CF bemoaning exactly what you are proposing to do, for it leaves a dirty wake for all the regular cruisers who pass through the area.

And the idea of deliberately establishing a residence on an anchored vessel that is not operable or seaworthy raises sharp safety issues, both for yourself and for any neighboring vessels. And nowadays, many (most?) marinas require that residents' boats must be operable, and prove it by demonstration periodically.

Please reconsider your plan in light of these factors.

Jim
I couldn't agree more! This is exactly why it is becoming more and more difficult to find marinas or municipalities where live-aboard boats are welcome. You're basically looking for a derelict vessel, don't care whether it runs or not and don't care what it looks like. You're the guy that makes the rest of us look bad. PLEASE, reconsider your plans...
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 11:18   #34

Boat: Seafarer36c

This is hilarious. There are already a bunch of almost dead boats on the Rio already. Take your pick. How about a giant Cat? Dead looking MV near Nana Juna island. Monkey Bay hauled off a big sailboat cause the guy died etc, etc.
It's so calm sometimes, you could move your ship with a panga. Your going to need a panga anyway.
If your ship can't move off the river sometimes (every 2 years), you will have to come up with a plan. I don't know what that plan is, but there are plenty of boats that will never move again and plenty that have not moved in 2 years.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 12:16   #35

Boat: None at this time, still looking for my next great looper

There are any number of marine salvage companies you could check.
KidSheeleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 12:29   #36

Going to need a Go-Fund-Me page for that cruise liner. Set it up as a floating retirement home for old sailors. I'll even throw in the first $100, only $14,999,900.00 to go!
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 12:54   #37

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Go to any browser and type in "Ships for Sale". You need to focus on vessels in your area. Likely you will need to arrange a tow, which may be affected by the season. Expect a tow for even a small ship to exceed the vessel purchase price. Even a small river cruise vessel will require extensive maintenance.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 14:15   #38

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I would not encourage this type of idea. So many non-boaters just wanting a houseboat to live on, then these end up permanently anchored as an environmental and visual problem, giving actual boaters a bad name and causing locals to pass draconian anchoring restrictions.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 14:51   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Figure out where you are going to anchor or moor it and if it is legal to do so before making your purchase.

Finding a place to legally keep a vessel of any size is becoming more and more competitive and expensive.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 15:06   #40

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
I like the KP44 !!! Maybe get it for less now. 60k/70k....... There was a KP46 sold recently in Qld for not much $$$ too. Market must be really down and still falling.

You should make an offer on that boat. It has been sitting for a couple of years and it's to nice to let sit. From what I've heard, the guy knows that, so yeah , go for it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 22:29   #41

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Steel ships even small ones are worth more than $100G as scrap. A mid-sized freighter goes for 2-3 million as scrap. Cruise ships often end up as floating hotels in some 3rd world country. You can maybe buy an old tug for your budget.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:07   #42

Find out where you would be allowed to keep it first. Unless you are going to a 3rd world country, there WILL be regulations, pollution insurance, hazard insurance (a ship is likely to do considerable damage if it drags or breaks moorings ... there are literally hundreds of things that could go wrong that could land you in jail, even in 3rd world places.
There was an old minesweeper, albeit modernised for research work, for sale in the UK for £18k.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:49   #43

Boat: 40 Ocean trawler "Crew's Inn"

go to www.yachtworld.com, place your sail or power - used, minimum boat length and your budget and prepare to see a 'boatload' of "opportunities"
skipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:59   #44

I was on the SS United States traveling from France to NY as a kid. Sorry to see it go like that.
daytonasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:28   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassgow22 View Post
Monthly expense is not an issue (paid for by work
Let's say you need a haulout and you got a killer deal on a 100 foot engine less hull, who is paying for that tow and haulout? You're not talking about a thousand bucks for that.

If you arent "boat savvy," I'd suggest finding somebody near you who is, so you can sort out the boats that are cheap because of things that will be dangerous or expensive for you from the ones that have things wrong that might not matter to you.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote