Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2021, 07:34   #1

Mercruiser 7.4 Replacement/Upgrade

I have a 2001 Sea Ray 260 BR bowrider with a Mercruiser 7.4 MPI Bravo 3. I recently got stuck and was told the engine needs replacing.

I'm not sure what happened as I heard a clicking sound that got louder and louder and then the engine seized. No alarms. Mechanic said there was oil everywhere and engine can't be repaired.

It only had about 800 hours and no signs of any problems (compression test and oil analysis) I've only had it for 3 seasons. I'm going to get a second opinion on the engine but I was wondering what possible upgrade options I would have with a 7.4 with Bravo 3.

I've read good things about the 6.2. The new 8.2 looks like a great engine but says it's compatible with the Bravo 3 X so I'm not sure if that would require replacing the drive unless extra work can be done to compensate for that difference.

The boat is 27 ft and weighs 4450 dry. If the engine needs replacing I'd like to future proof my boat as much as possible.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated and if you have a ballpark price.

Thanks

Scott
Scottd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 18:00   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Mercruiser 7.4 Replacement/Upgrade

If you're not going to use the same engine, talk to a dealer and see what's compatible.

Your engine probably has a blown rod. That usually causes some damage to the crank and sometimes there's damage to the cylinder. It maybe able to be rebuilt, but a more expensive rebuild. There maybe a company that offers rebuilt short blocks. They might take yours in trade but discount it.

Search the web and ebay. The are companies and individuals that buy damaged boats and sell the parts. Or find out who made your base engine (GM, Ford, etc.) And buy a short block or an engine from a junk yard and swap all the marine items like exhaust manifolds, etc.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 18:41   #3

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Re: Mercruiser 7.4 Replacement/Upgrade

I have the Merc 6.2, had it just installed and on the water two summers ago. Mercury now makes there own engines, not recycled automotive or truck engines. They purchase the block from a source I just blanked out on, then they build the engine from the bottom up. The feeling at Merc is that current automotive and truck engines are more complex than needed in a boat, the purpose of the complex build is to get better fuel economy. I have a much heavier boat than yours and it gets up to 30 MPH with a Bravo 2.

The engine has performed well, goes like stink and I know will suit your boat well. All in my boat weighs roughly 13,000 pounds.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, men