Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2020, 08:11   #31

Re: Motorsailers? Trawlers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post
If fact we often hear that it's the norm for sailboats....to be motoring. My suggestion of a kite sail on a trawler is totally different.
Kite sail...that doesn't seem to be very prevalent. At least I've not seen it ever in my years of boating. I have considered it though, when watching kite surfers.

Why don't more folks use them?

It kinda rides along with one of my other curiosities... an interest in learning more about powered paragliding. I've been watching some foot launch pilots on youtube...wondered if cruisers do that in their travels...
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:15   #32
cruiser

Even though not ...prevalent.....since it's fairly new technology, they are available for even large boats. And its proven tech, and almost aitomatic, thus little work involved.
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 14:46   #33

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

Join this forum, the sister to this one except for trawlers, there is even a section for motorsailors.

Sailboats, best for budget long distance travel, like crossing oceans. Many folks own them in the Pacific Northwest and I owned one as well. But here rain is a reality, and a sailboat is no fun in the rain, even with a decent dodger and bimini. Going long distances like Seattle to Alaska much of the cruising is carried with engine only. There are many narrow channels, fjords, inlets and straits, in these areas the wind is usually on your nose, wind flows like water in these restricted areas so narrow with a noserly wind, means a crazy amount of tacking or motoring.

Trawlers, traditional full displacement or semi displacement hull but running at displacement speeds are faster than sailboats. Realize that 7 knots on a trawler is faster than 7 knots in a sailboat. My buddy just bought a 1990 Nordic Tug 32 and it burns one gallon of fuel at 8 knots, pretty good and great for longer jumps but useless for crossing oceans.

Motor sailors have traditionally been a compromise, they don't have to be but usually they are. They are slow but you can cruise from California to Hawaii in one so they are capable of great long distant jumps but slower.

I have a sedan cruiser and its normal to be burning about 20 gallons an hour so anyone here talking about 2 gallons an hour as using a lot of fuel - no its not.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 19:01   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Motorsailers? Trawlers?

Ted Brewer wrote a good book on boat design and discussed this in detail. For the Norhaven questions, a good friend owns a 56', currently 40' from me. It sails quite well contrary to some commments from those who haven't sailed her. Good 200nm a day boat with tall (80') mast.

Our Seaton Ketch (60'LOA/45T) sails very well also. Other companies that made motor sailors (of different quality) are Cheoy Lee, Gulfstar, Island Trader, and Shannon. As Brewer said, some are 75 sail 25 power, some 75 power 25 sail, some 50/50. After a lot of miles I find more sailors power than power boaters sail...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorsailer, sail, trawler