Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2007, 16:27   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I'm sorry about all the problems you have had with that "mechanic". I hope he ends up paying you in some form for all your troubles.

A very well known boat yard owner in Alameda, CA once told me that owning an out drive is like owning two engines when it comes to problems and costs. I believe him.

When you think about it is kind of insane to put a bunch of gears and bearings underwater in an oil bath when the denser ocean water wants in so badly.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 04:35   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I’m reminded of a couple of universal axioms about boats:
1. The only thing that a boat can do all by it self, is SINK!
2. Nothing works on a boat except the OWNER!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 09:08   #33

A sad story.
One of the obvious strikes against outdrives.
Higher maintenance and more expensive versus shafts and struts
Capct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 10:31   #34
Kai Nui

Well, at least this year you found a new parking spot
Old 27-10-2007, 08:11   #35
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Here's the thing. I agree with the poster that said you should post this yahoos pic. In fact I think a good practice would be to take a digital photo of every new mechanic you use BEFORE the work has begun with the assurances his face will be well viewed if he tries to take you for an idiot. I can see the new thread now on Crusiers Forum.
Pics of the guys you want to aviod. I say it'd get a ton of views.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 13:19   #36
Kai Nui

A few years ago I had a problem with a vendor I had used extensively. This guy had the "Used car salesman" personality. I had to ask him to back a product, and he refused, trying to pass the buck on a one time outside vendor he had used because he did not have the part in stock. He also had a habit of sending out mailers. In the two months I was dealling with this issue I received 3 mailers. I told him I was going to take every mailer I received and post it somewhere with the words "Posted by an unhappy customer" on it. He finally took the time to actually call the outside vendor. Didn't solve the issue, but a reasonable effort is all I requested.
Old 27-10-2007, 13:32   #37
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
In fact I think a good practice would be to take a digital photo of every new mechanic you use BEFORE the work has begun with the assurances his face will be well viewed if he tries to take you for an idiot. I can see the new thread now on Crusiers Forum.
Here's the offender! I thought there was somethin' about this guy that just wasn't right! You better keep an eye out for this fella if ya need work on your boat!

knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 13:48   #38
Kai Nui

Looks like he has the right tool for the job. Is that a Bud powered caulking mallet?
Old 27-10-2007, 14:43   #39
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
OK I know that guy!! When he's not a outdrive mechanic he moonlights at I-95 and Sheridan St. with a cardboard sign saying "Why Lie I need a Beer"

Seriously, we all have our mechanics stories. When I was having a boat surveyed I had to bring it to a well known yard in Dania beach Fl. I wanted to have a mechanic check out a question I had about the starboard engine. I called in a local guy who showed up at the yard in a nice professional truck. He unloaded a well organized wheeled cart full of good quality tools. He stated up front his fees based on time and materials, we discussed for about ten minutes what I felt was the problem he agreed and said he could fix it in about 30 minutes. Just about that time the yard manager showed up and said that this mechanic had to first check into the office, an hour later he comes back and says that because he doesn't have the amount of insurance the yard requires that they won't let him do any work in their yard. Now this guy had plenty of insurance but not enough for this yard. Feeling bad I still gave him his times worth. So now the yard informs me that I have to use their mechanic. Not the happiest of campers I agreed. Another hour passes and down the dock comes the yards mecanic and his I suppose apprentice. The older guy has a 18" screw driver in his hand that looks like it's stirred more paint than Benjamin Moore, the apprentice is holding an old wooden claw hammer with one claw missing. I swear I'm not making this up. After laughing for ten minutes at the bewildered look on these two faces when I said they wouldn't even get on board this boat they retreated to the office. When we checked out the yard had a mechanics bill for 200 doallars included with the haul out. Since the boat was already back in the water I laughed for another ten minutes as I was told by the yard what an A-h... I was. I may be an A-h... but I'm one with 200 bucks still in the bank. Long story short the first guy still does ocassional work for me and the many friends I have put him in contact with.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 18:05   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Name and shame not under British law...

While I would dearly love to name and shame one of the mechanics that worked on one of my boats (at the price I was charged no excuses are accepted) I fear it might be defamatory under British law (The kind we have in Australia).

The best that I could come up with was to tell the story to everyone I met.

The good mechanics will not need to defend their reputation and the lesser ones will know to lift their game.

Why is it that every marine related agreement needs to be bolted down, checked and crystal clear with an element of second sight?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 19:25   #41
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Why is it that every marine related agreement needs to be bolted down, checked and crystal clear with an element of second sight?
Because we (boat owners) are perceived to be "rich" within the perview of our affluent society and as such we are allowed to be "fleeced" by those of lesser privilidge (the working class which includes boat mechanics). It appears that nowadays you have to take measures to protect yourself which is the rule and not the exception as it once was.

I don't consider myself to be rich, I've worked damn'd hard for what precious little I have and I don't consider myself to be unfamiliar with the workings of marine related machinery but I let my guard down and put my trust in someone whom I wasn't totally unfamiliar with and that trust was betrayed. Never again.
Old 19-11-2007, 21:41   #42
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I loved this story.......Much to the Chagrin of some yacht yards

I have "cost" them some engine replacements.....I have had several customers call me up for engine replacement. When I asked them what was wrong, they would say "Bluto Yacht Service" said the engine was "shot". I always love that "shot" line. Having worked on everything from a Palmer PW 27 One Lunger to Fairbanks-Morse Opposed Piston Diesels,
a "shot" engine means MAJOR destruction.(to me)

I have, with some persistence and TLC revived a number of engines.

Personally, it is very satisfying for me, a great deal for the customer and better than any printed advertising.

As far as the insurance thing goes, most yards will allow a mechanic to come in. Some require more insurance. I have had that happen once and I made a quick call to my agent and there was no problem to increase the coverage (it was a big job).

The one that really got me is that the yard said...sure you can work here but you will have to pay us 30%. I called the customer and we moved the boat the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
OK I know that guy!! When he's not a outdrive mechanic he moonlights at I-95 and Sheridan St. with a cardboard sign saying "Why Lie I need a Beer"

Seriously, we all have our mechanics stories. When I was having a boat surveyed I had to bring it to a well known yard in Dania beach Fl. I wanted to have a mechanic check out a question I had about the starboard engine. I called in a local guy who showed up at the yard in a nice professional truck. He unloaded a well organized wheeled cart full of good quality tools. He stated up front his fees based on time and materials, we discussed for about ten minutes what I felt was the problem he agreed and said he could fix it in about 30 minutes. Just about that time the yard manager showed up and said that this mechanic had to first check into the office, an hour later he comes back and says that because he doesn't have the amount of insurance the yard requires that they won't let him do any work in their yard. Now this guy had plenty of insurance but not enough for this yard. Feeling bad I still gave him his times worth. So now the yard informs me that I have to use their mechanic. Not the happiest of campers I agreed. Another hour passes and down the dock comes the yards mecanic and his I suppose apprentice. The older guy has a 18" screw driver in his hand that looks like it's stirred more paint than Benjamin Moore, the apprentice is holding an old wooden claw hammer with one claw missing. I swear I'm not making this up. After laughing for ten minutes at the bewildered look on these two faces when I said they wouldn't even get on board this boat they retreated to the office. When we checked out the yard had a mechanics bill for 200 doallars included with the haul out. Since the boat was already back in the water I laughed for another ten minutes as I was told by the yard what an A-h... I was. I may be an A-h... but I'm one with 200 bucks still in the bank. Long story short the first guy still does ocassional work for me and the many friends I have put him in contact with.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:33   #43
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rigged & Ready

Well tomorrow's the day. It's rigged and ready. Fueled up and clean.

I know it's not much of a boat (there's no sails) but it's ours and it's paid for. It's been a long (almost) 10 months without being able to go for a boat ride. I know Knottygirlz missed it a lot. Hopefully this year we can make up for the ruined holiday we had last year and do an Up & Back on the Rideau.

I'm glad this lil' episode is over! *sigh*
Old 02-05-2008, 17:02   #44

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Have fun!!!!!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 18:52   #45
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Have fun!!!!!
We hope to! A little aprehension setting in. I did the reinstall of the O/D myself and had to fabricate a small part for the shifter linkage. I've got that slight nagging doubt in the back of my mind "what if it breaks?", "what if I missed a bolt or a screw?", "did I torque that enough?" "Will it all hold together?".

Hmmmmm? Maybe we better stay home, eh?

Awe the hell with it, we're goin' for a boat ride! Wohoo!!!