Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2009, 17:29   #1

Need Advice on Motors for a Convertible

Hi All!!

I really could use some advise on motors. I plan on buying a convertible boat, not sure what make yet, but it will be used, 32-38' and I plan on spending about 50K. I am leaning towards a diesel or twin diesel motors as I have had good luck with diesel vehicles in the past. I plan on mooring at Marinas in Costa Rica and Panama, I want to go out lets say 5-15 miles 2-3 times a week to fish, so Im think fuel economy is more important than speed.

So the question is....is there a boat (hull design) that is superior for fuel consumption, are gas motors even an option? and what diesel set up is best for fuel.

Thanks for any advise.
Aaron
zydeco2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 18:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Given your budget and desires I don't think brand names are what is important. You need a boat in exceptional condition and a twin screw diesel for 50K does not sound realistic at least not in good shape.

You need to crawl around a lot of boats to find something that is in good shape in this price range. if you found one forget the pedigree. Fuel economy is the easy money it's all the rest of the expenses you need to worry about.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 19:27   #3

Thanks Paul

The amount I spend on a boat is somewhat open. I understand fresh water boats fairly well as I fished professionally for years. I realize that there is a lot more into a boat like these versus my tournament fishing boat.

I know my search will take some time, just looking for any advise on motors, what brand diesel seem the most reliable etc. I wondering what kind of GPH, or MPH a person might expect in a boat like this. If it becomes too expensive to fish out of a convertible, I may look into a smaller boat and stay ashore. I know most 7.3 Ford Diesels (pickups) will run 250K-300K miles with very few problems, so info on reasonable hours on a used boat, brand, etc would be greatly appreciated.

My plan is to stay at Marinas in CR and Panama, and when the mood strikes work my way from the North Pacific CR , through Panama Canal, and up the Atlantic side to Tortuguero.

Ive been looking at boats like these, 1985 Sea Ray 390 Sedan- Very Rare Sportfish!! Must See!!! For Sale In Tarpon Springs, Florida - BoatTrader.com

Aaron
zydeco2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 21:39   #4

Boat: Schock 35
Sea Ray make very good boats, but fuel consumption at normal cruising speeds is way more than most sailors even imagine.

Sea Ray 390 Motoryacht - Power & Motoryacht Boat Test - Power & Motoryacht - Sea Ray 390 Motoryacht
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote