Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2018, 09:02   #31

Boat: Moody Carbineer 52
Re: Need advice on purchasing boat

I really hope the OP listens to what thegroup is saying. Buying a boat is always an emotional step (except maybe for some professionals); and most of us make a few mistakes during our sailing careers.
But to start out with an old glass-over-wood beauty would surely be the most certain way to disaster - certainly financially, possibly even to a death-trap.
A cheap but well-loved sailing boatof 28-32 feet wd sleep most or all that family for a night or two and be a wonderful way for a smaller group to build up the experience needed to be safe on the water.
Maybe even better wouldbe a big tent and a stable 16-18 feet dinghy....
It’s wonderful tospend time on the water withfamily; but a nightmare to be trapped owning a rotting wreck....
keithw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 09:20   #32

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Don’t!
Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 09:52   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
This is a good example of the difference in value between trawlers & sailboats. This boat appears to be ready to go at $5,000 & it will actually sleep 6: https://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa...582890629.html

Here's a couple of threads to monitor: FREE, or close to free! - Page 26 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...147098-78.html
I agree with SCOUT30.

The linked Rhodes Swiftsure 33 with asking Price of just $5,800 is something that would be a very suitable coastal and ICW cruiser, and a very low cost entry to sailing on a cruising sailboat. It has two settees AND two pilot berths too, which could sleep the four kids securely, with parents in the V Berth.

The low asking price is due to Boat age and size, but that boat does appear very nice condition for its age, and looks pretty on the water too.. The shallow draft of less than four feet would be good for ICW cruising too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1669.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	170674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1672.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	170675  

Name:	IMG_1674.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	170676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1676.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	170677  

Name:	IMG_1675.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	170678   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1670.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	170679  

Name:	IMG_1673.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	170682  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 10:25   #34

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
I agree with SCOUT30.

The linked Rhodes Swiftsure 33 with asking Price of just $5,800 is something that would be a very suitable coastal and ICW cruiser, and a very low cost entry to sailing on a cruising sailboat. It has two settees AND two pilot berths too, which could sleep the four kids securely, with parents in the V Berth.

The low asking price is due to Boat age and size, but that boat does appear very nice condition for its age, and looks pretty on the water too.. The shallow draft of less than four feet would be good for ICW cruising too.
I also think that this would be a great boat to expose kids to the truly wonderful world of sailing, especially if you add a sailing dinghy. It's small enough that they'll be sailing it themselves in no time but big enough to get the whole family on it.

There are few things that can change a kids life more than being exposed to boating at an early age. For many it creates a love that never goes away.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 10:30   #35
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I also think that this would be a great boat to expose kids to the truly wonderful world of sailing, especially if you add a sailing dinghy. It's small enough that they'll be sailing it themselves in no time but big enough to get the whole family on it.

There are few things that can change a kids life more than being exposed to boating at an early age. For many it creates a love that never goes away.
I agree with SCOUT30 again!

We do think alike on this.

I think having a sailboat is more likely to involve more of the family in running the boat, a perfect opportunity to use the young crew and for them to gain confidence and to be busy on the boat (and not bored or looking at a phone) when they get to that age.

Start em young!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 19:21   #36

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft

Comments:

* As my alcoholic neighbor woman used to say, "what is that THING?"

* The odds that you can restore and maintain an old 40-foot wooden boat and take care of a family with 4 kids at the same time are ZERO. I just spent 20 out of 30 days in May working on a 30-foot boat in turnkey, as-new condition, and I am retired bachelor with absolutely no work responsibilities or family responsibilities. You could work full time for a YEAR solid on that boat and it still might not be seaworthy. In other words you could quit your job, divorce your wife, and do nothing but work on that boat and still not get it to work.

* To work on a boat like that you need to: (1) have a large, well-equipped shop; (2) be competent in machining and metal working, (3) be competent in wood working, (4) be expert in electricity and wiring, (5) be able to do plumbing.

* Even if you do all the work yourself, you could easily spend $25,000 no problem buying all the materials and tools you would need to get it anywhere near functional. Just the engine alone could be $5,000 or more in expenses. It may very well need a new engine, which would cost around $15,000 to buy and install a reconditioned engine.
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 20:43   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post

The linked Rhodes Swiftsure 33 with asking Price of just $5,800
thats a lovely boat

OT: anyone know where I can find shaded lamps like those on the fwd bulkhead?
Old 13-06-2020, 18:34   #38

I own that boat now its my first sailboat I traded a harley for it in,sparriws point maryland I sailed it single handed down to Norfolk last winter and the weather was so rough I docked it for the winter now I'm back on it for the summer thinking about sailing it to florida this winter
Foose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, purchasing