Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2010, 19:38   #16

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
zena marine alternator

They overbuild them for heavy duty aplications. Mostly welding and power generation for ambulance/fire and the like. Gang them together for 5 and 600 amp continuous dc welding.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 21:23   #17

+1 on Leece-Neville large case alternators. Unlike small case alternators, these will put out their rated power even when hot. Very solid.

I had a Leece-Neville on my last boat and had it rebuilt and some diodes replaced (the alternator had given heavy service for six years and the rebuild was about $100). These guys did the work and I was very happy. I did it all by email/mail.

Toledo Truck Parts

They also sold alternators and seemed quite familiar with marine applications so I think a call might uncover some great options. These are the kind of guys who seemed like they had bins of mounts hanging around (or if they couldn't find one they could make it in 20 minutes).

Once you get past 110 or so amps you have to go to twin belts. You'll need to think about the pulleys on your engine.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 12:39   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I very much appreciate the gas genset idea Skipmac, but I am afraid the small gas genset idea will not work because it would get splashed with salt water out on deck. It's a 17 knot boat and there is spray everywhere at speed in chop. In addition there are on occasion some sensitive and very expensive laboratory instruments on board that are powered by 120vac. I need super clean AC. The true sine wave inverter I use creates and conditions 120vdc very well. It has also been extremely reliable.
Maybe a ventilated box or something over the genset to deal with the spray. Regarding the quality of the output I think the Honda EU2000 makes pretty clean AC. Have not hooked one to my scope but the power is from an inverter and not a standard generator winding and have heard several people comment that the output is very clean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, arc