Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 09:16   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Need thruhull seacock handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Rather than try to replace the handle on that "disaster" waiting to happen, I would look on eBay and buy a used bronze seacock made by Wilcox-Crittenden, Spartan or Groco.

Shifting cargo, an errant foot placement while climbing around inside the engine compartment or whatever could cause that whole seacock to break away and I don't see any softwood cone-shaped plug hanging on the seacock that one would use to plug the hole left the the broken seacock.
This is the correct advice. ^^^
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:21   #17

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Rather than try to replace the handle on that "disaster" waiting to happen, I would look on eBay and buy a used bronze seacock made by Wilcox-Crittenden, Spartan or Groco.

Shifting cargo, an errant foot placement while climbing around inside the engine compartment or whatever could cause that whole seacock to break away and I don't see any softwood cone-shaped plug hanging on the seacock that one would use to plug the hole left the the broken seacock.

A properly mounted forespar flanged valve is plenty strong for the application.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:31   #18

Boat: Jeaneau, International 50

+1 for replacing the whole valve. Don't mess around take the old one off and get a new valve to replace it with or hire someone else to replace it. If it broke before there may be damage you cannot see. Don't lose your boat to save a few bucks.

Ed
SV Serenity
SeeMonstrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:09   #19

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:

Thats some pretty sketchy advice. a used bronze seacock? that Marelon seacock is much stronger than the "regular" marelon seacocks that forespar sells. Mainesail did some testing and they are plenty strong with no corrosion issues.
pcmm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:12   #20

Don't listen to the advice insisting on bronze seacocks.

Don't try to force the seacock with a wrench, the lever broke because the seacock is stuck due to poor practice of not being cycled or lubricated.

Replace the entire seacock with another composite, and remember to work every week and lubricate it when possible.

TruDesign makes one that has Teflon impregnated coated valves and also has a plastic body sleeve that ensures that that the seacock conforms to ACBY standards.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:01   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

There are a lot of opinions being expressed here. I'll throw in my opinion based on forty plus years of selling Seacocks.

I prefer bronze but if I bought a boat with that style Forespar seacock, I wouldn't bother changing it. If it was one of the seacocks they sell to consumers, I'd replace it.

In the OP's situation I'd call Forespar and tell them what happened and see what they do. If they offer to send or sell you a replacement handle, fix the seacock.
If they give you any trouble replace the seacock. I throw that in because I had a bad customer experience with Forespar many years ago. I'm sure they are better now.

If you decide to replace it with another plastic seacock, take a look at the Tru-Design sold in the USA by Raritan. Marine Products | Marine Sanitation Devices | Marine Toilets

If you go for bronze, any of the major US companies make good flanged ball valve seacocks. Groco is my current favorite. I have Apollo on my boat that are 28 years old now and working fine.
Strainers, Seacocks, And Valves

Spartan makes fine seacocks but they have a highly inflated idea of just what they are worth.
Old 07-12-2016, 14:04   #22

Boat: 2006 34' PDQ Powercat

There is a emergency wood cone/plug attached to my valve. The picture was provided by someone else.

I contacted Forespar and they are mailing a free Marelon Series 93 replacement handle kit. They were very helpful.
AMCarter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 14:05   #23

Boat: 2006 34' PDQ Powercat

And... thanks to everyone who chimed in on this forum. I appreciate the help.
AMCarter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 15:02   #24

Boat: Cal-40

Perhaps as the boat is now out of the water, it would behoove you to replace this plastic one with a new bronze silicon sea cock. Myself I try to never use plastic anything especially something so important as a through hull valve. You should re-bed all your below waterline through hulls anyway as you have no idea as to the last time if ever it was done anyway.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 15:29   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"There is a emergency wood cone/plug attached to my valve. The picture was provided by someone else. "

If my memory is working right, that seacock comes with an emergency plug built in.
See the little white thing covering the handle nut? I think that pulls out and is designed to plug the thru-hull fitting from the outside. Probably more for servicing the valve than for an emergency.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:46   #26

I am with you 100 percent there George. Penny pinching there is not a good idea. I was going to say *buy a new one*
robbie
robbievardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:51   #27

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCarter3 View Post
There is a emergency wood cone/plug attached to my valve. The picture was provided by someone else.

I contacted Forespar and they are mailing a free Marelon Series 93 replacement handle kit. They were very helpful.
That's great news! While you're at it, get some of the lanocote or Marelon lube and service the rest of the seacocks! Marelon are great valves (If I could have found them I would have used them instead of bronze) just give them ALL some servicing while you're fixing this one!
pcmm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:48   #28

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
I think that is IT! How is the size of the valve determined? Marelon makes several sizes. I can't see any size or model info on the valve in the boat. Is it based on the size of the hose attached to it or the diameter of the thruhull opening? Or both?
I have been through same situation when I broke a handle on an Antares 44.
The valve manufacturer will send you free replacement handles if you ask nicely. You need to provide the numbers from the sticker in the valve.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:27   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
There are a lot of opinions being expressed here. I'll throw in my opinion based on forty plus years of selling Seacocks.

I prefer bronze but if I bought a boat with that style Forespar seacock, I wouldn't bother changing it. If it was one of the seacocks they sell to consumers, I'd replace it.

In the OP's situation I'd call Forespar and tell them what happened and see what they do. If they offer to send or sell you a replacement handle, fix the seacock.
If they give you any trouble replace the seacock. I throw that in because I had a bad customer experience with Forespar many years ago. I'm sure they are better now.

If you decide to replace it with another plastic seacock, take a look at the Tru-Design sold in the USA by Raritan. Marine Products | Marine Sanitation Devices | Marine Toilets

If you go for bronze, any of the major US companies make good flanged ball valve seacocks. Groco is my current favorite. I have Apollo on my boat that are 28 years old now and working fine.
Strainers, Seacocks, And Valves

Spartan makes fine seacocks but they have a highly inflated idea of just what they are worth.
Indeed!

Tapered cone sea cocks (Spartan etc.) have a number of advantages, but they are not the only acceptable way to solve the problem. They are expensive and high maintenance.

Quality bronze ball valves are perfectly acceptable (but make sure the threads match etc.), as are Marelon.

MaineSail did a bunch of testing and has a lot of good information on his site.

I agree with all of the opinions above that replacing the broken handle is NOT the right solution. Replace the whole sea cock.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:15   #30

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
And... thanks to everyone who chimed in on this forum. I appreciate the help.
Here is the message form teh Forespar rep giving me instructions to request a replacement handle.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Subject: RE: Handle for 87F1 seacock
To:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The valves use a six digit part number starting with 904, 905 or 93..... Please
e-mail a picture of the valve and confirm the inside diameter of the hose used
with this valve.

Randall Risvold
Forespar
22322 Gilberto
RSM, Ca. 92688
Ph. 949 858 8820