Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 09:03   #16

Re: new here Steve from AL anyone cruise in aluimin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetii View Post
Ah, Didn't pick that up in the pic. As incredibly light as these boats are, I would not like to be caught in bad weather. Most Ive been in is 3 to 5 footers in lake Erie. No fun.
I attemped to naviegate though 6' seas at 4 sec intervals last week in the GOM had to turn back and cruise the bay.

weather guessers forcast 10 knt. SSE wind it was like 25 forcast 3-4 seas was like 6+' bay was OK.
this was a 3 day crusie Monday was Nice in GOM but it was only a 4 hour crusie Tuesday was nice uptill the 12pm ish starting getting ruff. wens noway for GOM.

have you been out yet?
Capt.Steve
Old 08-05-2017, 12:46   #17

Only once one local lake. Nothing interesting.
Yetii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:09   #18

you where on the water that's what counts.

my next expedision will be three day snapper season which federal gov. closed earley same as they close greater amberjack.

there must be more people out there cruising in aluimin.

Capt Steve
Old 11-05-2017, 06:03   #19

Boat: Cruisers 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Steve1 View Post
you where on the water that's what counts.

my next expedision will be three day snapper season which federal gov. closed earley same as they close greater amberjack.

Capt Steve
Yes, but they aren't cruising in riveted and glued sheet aluminum boats powered by outboards. The boat you are using was made to get someone out on relatively flat water, cheaply. It is a fine boat for that, but by design not good for rough water.

My boat is also not designed for extended cruising in heavy waves, it is not a serious cruising boat. It is heavy and deep and solidly built enough that I've been safe in pretty big waves I've encountered, but not as comfortable as a boat made for continuous use in bigger waves.

Be happy with what your boat is capable of, or get a boat more capable. I'd worry about your boat opening up a seam and sinking quickly, if you ended up in big waves and unable to get to a harbor quickly. That hull is not made for that kind of stress.
30West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:25   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30West View Post
Yes, but they aren't cruising in riveted and glued sheet aluminum boats powered by outboards. The boat you are using was made to get someone out on relatively flat water, cheaply. It is a fine boat for that, but by design not good for rough water.

My boat is also not designed for extended cruising in heavy waves, it is not a serious cruising boat. It is heavy and deep and solidly built enough that I've been safe in pretty big waves I've encountered, but not as comfortable as a boat made for continuous use in bigger waves.

Be happy with what your boat is capable of, or get a boat more capable. I'd worry about your boat opening up a seam and sinking quickly, if you ended up in big waves and unable to get to a harbor quickly. That hull is not made for that kind of stress.
I kindof use the term cruise a bit loosely basicalley I'm a long weekend crusier usalley upto 400' depth 60 nautical miles offshore not any farther out.

I have done major redsigning to boat for strength,dependbility,usefullness, self sustained completely, w/ 120 VAC (soon to be air conditioned pilot house.

my ideal boat can be bluewater, liveaboard also trailerable.

I'm redoing transom here's the strenghting

edit yes "happy with what your boat is capable of"
CS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pod welded.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	147489   Click image for larger version

Name:	pod welded2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	147490  

Old 23-05-2017, 10:00   #21

getting prepared for next 3 day cruise in GOM thrusday-sat
Old 24-05-2017, 08:13   #22

Boat: Cruisers 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Steve1 View Post
getting prepared for next 3 day cruise in GOM thrusday-sat
Fill out a float plan with the Coast Guard. The form has spaces for make/model/year, hull type, engine type. I'll be interested if they actually read those, and whether they say anything.
30West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 14:29   #23

Boat: Maxum 4100 SCA, 41 feet

I am new to boats my but I don't believe a float plan is sent to the USCG. You send it to family/friend who can report you lost if you don't contact as expected.
Gregorys6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 04:00   #24

Capt Steve
Old 29-08-2018, 09:52   #25

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

I was surprised you asked about aluminum cruisers and cruising as though this is some kind of rare beast. Here on Vancouver Island and coastal British Columbia, aluminum boats are very popular. As you well know, they are rugged, can take all kinds of abuse and still can motor on. With local fisherman here, the Kingfisher brand is very popular (hope you have deep pockets):

https://www.kingfisherboats.com/Coastal

This Kingfisher is my personal favourite - Kingfisher 2825 Destination:

https://parksvilleboathouse.com/new-...destination-2/

Wave and weather action can get serious in our coastal waters with swift currents, high tough waves and challenges created by tidal action:

Here is one video to put the fear of God into you: (Timing is everything for a successful transit through Skookumchuck Narrows B.C.)

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 09:56   #26

Boat: 41' yawl

what's aluimin?
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 10:05   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
what's aluimin?
Its a derivative of aluminum used exclusively in the marine industry.
Old 29-08-2018, 10:22   #28

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Did someone say aluminum?

Name:	IMG_3174.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	176385

Name:	IMG_4985.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	176386

Name:	IMG_0645.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	176387

Name:	IMG_0616.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	176388

Name:	IMG_0357.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	176389

Name:	IMG_5559.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	176390
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 02:47   #29

woops my bad on spelling aluminum will SP from now on.

very good to see others cruising in aluminum that brown epress is same era/design as mine

yes the aluminum pilothouse is very popular in PNW I would like to cruise up there one day, problem is the GOM is 195 miles away.

the ruff water high outward tide w/ cross currents? was that the pass to the pacific ocean?

Planning next 4 day cruise around wind/rain and the redtide moving north from tampa,fl I cruise north west panhandle and ICW from destin to Ft.morgan AL
Old 30-08-2018, 09:44   #30

Skokumchuck Narrows is part of Jervis inlet along coastal BC on the mainland side. This area is a popular boating destination for boaters of all ilk. I will paste a tourist "bit" of this area to give you a flavour of it:

"SKOOKUMCHUCK (Sechelt Rapids) BEST VIEWING TIMES

Skookumchuck means “Strong Water.” Tidewater is forced through Skookumchuck Narrows and forms the
Sechelt Rapids. The difference in water levels between one side of the rapids and the other can exceed two metres (6.5 feet) in height. Current speeds can exceed 25 km/hr (15 mph). If it’s big waves you’re looking for, check out the “Flood Tide,” best seen from the Roland Point viewing area. The whirlpool activity is seen during the “Ebb Tide” and can be viewed from the North Point viewing area. There is approximately a 30 minute
window on either side of the “Best Viewing” times, so don’t feel you need to be there right at the exact time – it’s a process. This 8 km round trip hike on a well-developed trail with minimal elevation change, will take about one hour to walk each way. There are a few rough sections. Be prepared for darkness if “Best Viewing” time is near sunrise or sunset."

You can transit the narrows but you literally have a ten minute window, if your craft is capable of 6 knots or faster, you're good to go. Boats will wait at either end for slack tide then boggy through safely. The ten minutes will get you roughly a nautical mile further in or out even at 6 knots, far enough away from the dangerous action.

Here is a video of another area - "Hole in the Wall" - also famous for strong currents. Those whirlpools can grab your boat and hold it. Personally I think these guys are nuts:

Tags
cruise