Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2017, 18:31   #1

Newbie here-a few questions

Hello, Ive been lurking here for years and plan on retiring in 3 years. I use to race offshore power boats, but now looking at something completely different-a 34 Mainship. I'd like to do the great loop and spend winters in South Florida/Bahamas. The Mainship has a Perkins 165 turbo diesel. Are these good engine? I'm NOT familiar with diesels at all. The hour meter is broken at 750 hours. The current owners estimates 25 hrs each summer for past 10 years. He's guessing less than 1000 hours.
I know these trawlers can be can have soft spots on the deck. I'm NOT afraid of glasswork. The Mainship has virtually no electronics-which I'm OK with. Its a 1978 hull, the owner says it needs TLC. I'm also not afraid to give it an awlgrip job. The best part is I can buy it for 10,000. I'm looking at it this weekend-its just been pulled out of the water for the winter. Is there a simple way to check the cutless bearing, shaft and rudder? Is it worth paying for a survey? Even if the engine had to be rebuilt or replaced, it seems like a good deal. The owner is elderly with a sick wife and wants to unload it ASAP. I recently was looking at the same model in Vermont for 24,000, but sold the week before I went to look at it. THANKS for your input!
Bob
Emoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 03:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Newbie here-a few questions

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bob.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 05:57   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Given the age, a survey is definitely in order. If nothing else, you'll find out quickly what is, and is not, a priority. On a hull that old, there may also be a major deal-breaker somewhere. Some boats aren't worth taking, even for free.

Personally, I think you'll be OK if it turns out to have been well-maintained AND if you're handy around boat systems. Depending on condition, even $10K might be too high. I bet if you add up all the things you need to fix, upgrade and replace, you'll add another $20. And that's assuming doing most of the work yourself.

Two red flags already: Broken hour meter and owner who's been unable to keep up with the maintenance. That latter is the death knell of a lot of boats. The former suggests a lack of interest in maintenance.

That said, there are a lot of things on my low-priority list which may never get fixed, and just because someone's spouse is ill doesn't mean they've lost interest in maintenance.

Check it out. If nothing major looks bad, make a list of needed upgrades and repairs, then make an offer that works for you.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 06:01   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

We had a Mainship 34 Mk III, several years ago now. Great boat. Economical, suited us, etc. Not without some things I'd "improve," if we still had it today, but generally a good experience.

Can't comment on the Perkins engines; ours was built later and had a DD 8.2T 220-hp 4-stroke. That worked well for the boat; I'm guessing the lower HP Perkins would be fine but wouldn't get quite as much top end as we had (but rarely used).

Some resources: 1) boatdiesel.com (not expensive), 2) there's a Mainship owners group on Yahoo somewhere, and 3) there's a Mainship section in trawlerforum.com (sister site to CF).

Were it me, I'd spring for two surveys, one the normal marine (hull, etc.) survey, and one a mechanical (engine) survey, latter don'e by somebody who has a serious clue about Perkins diesels. The cost, to me, is well worth the potential savings if it turns out that particular boat is a piece of crap.

-Chris
Old 31-10-2017, 08:38   #5

Boat: Scout 30

The best deal is the boat that's already undergone a thorough refit with the seller eating the depreciation. If the motor is good this could be an OK deal unless the boat needs a bunch of other work. How's the wiring, plumbing, air conditioner, fridge, generator, electronics, flooring, windows, decks, hull.... Don't let a low price suck you in.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 10:40   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Get a survey! It could be a great deal or it was only driven by and old school teacher sort of thing. Needs TLC is a broad thing.

Vet the surveyor.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 19:41   #7

Thanks for the responses! I'm looking at it tomorrow! Does anyone know a surveyor in the Atlantic City area? What is the average cost for a survey?
Thanks again!
Old 31-10-2017, 20:06   #8
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

I recently looked at a 1971 Alberg 37 for $15K CAD. I paid $500 for the survey and the refit estimate came out around $45K CAD for new motor, rigging, sails, electronics, plumbing etc. Sometimes a good deal isn't as good as it looks. Survey says....it all.
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 17:53   #9

So how'd the inspection go?
Old 02-11-2017, 15:47   #10

Looked at this trawler today. Long story short: what a piece of Sh*T!!!

While I waited for the owner to show up, I put my $30.00 Lowes moisture meter to work. The hull above the waterline wasn't bad-anywhere from 4-10% Below the water line most readings were 10-18%. Around the thru-hull fittings most readings in the low 20's. One reading was 26!
The rudder had an "after market" attachment to help it" turn better". The attachment portion was severely delaminated. The hull wasn't bad-just chalky. I could identify at least 3 different boot stripe colors. Probably 35 layers of uneven bottom paint.

Before I even climbed into the boat, I knew I wasn't going to buy it but thought I might as well look-I just took off from work early and drove 2 hrs to see it. The key was under the cockpit hatch. When I lifeted the hatch-the hatch was unhinged. The main sliding door was difficult to open. The inside had so much crap piled up. The floor was not even-I suspect bulkhead damage-but didn't look any further. I don't mind a project-but his boat is ALOT Of PROJECTS! Iwouldnt take this boat for free.

Thanks for all the responses! Back to looking for a Liveaboard Trawler for 1. Prefer the Europa style trawlers. Looking to spend $$ 20-50000. An older, but good condition Mainship 34 would be ideal.
Old 02-11-2017, 16:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoh View Post

While I waited for the owner to show up, I put my $30.00 Lowes moisture meter to work. The hull above the waterline wasn't bad-anywhere from 4-10% Below the water line most readings were 10-18%. Around the thru-hull fittings most readings in the low 20's. One reading was 26!
The rudder had an "after market" attachment to help it" turn better". The attachment portion was severely delaminated. The hull wasn't bad-just chalky. I could identify at least 3 different boot stripe colors. Probably 35 layers of uneven bottom paint.

Before I even climbed into the boat, I knew I wasn't going to buy it but thought I might as well look-I just took off from work early and drove 2 hrs to see it. The key was under the cockpit hatch. When I lifeted the hatch-the hatch was unhinged. The main sliding door was difficult to open. The inside had so much crap piled up. The floor was not even-I suspect bulkhead damage-but didn't look any further. I don't mind a project-but his boat is ALOT Of PROJECTS! Iwouldnt take this boat for free.

Thanks for all the responses! Back to looking for a Liveaboard Trawler for 1. Prefer the Europa style trawlers. Looking to spend $$ 20-50000. An older, but good condition Mainship 34 would be ideal.
Where are you located? I found this one on Craigslist in Florida. Looks like they've spent a lot of money on a refit.
https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa...295581720.html
Old 02-11-2017, 16:21   #12

Here's another one that would be worth a look. The decks have all ready been redone which is a big plus. The fuel tanks are the other problem with these but they may have already been replaced. The bench mark for older trawlers.
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa...331008311.html
Old 02-11-2017, 20:09   #13

Thanks Scout. I'll be keeping my eyes open-I have 3 yrs till I retire-then the fun begins: Cruising/liveaboard! I recently looked at a 38 Marine Trader Europa. I really liked this layout. For my purposes, I don't care for the traditional "aft cabin" trawler. The more I look, the more I learn!
Old 03-11-2017, 04:19   #14

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoh View Post

Too bad. The extra low price looked like a red flag anyway, though...

Good luck with your search!

-Chris
Old 03-11-2017, 05:48   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Take a look at Marine Survey 101, a few ideas on how to inspect a cruising boat.
Also Moisture Meter Mythology might be useful.