Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 17:03   #1

Newby Questions

Hiya folks I'm still in the "romantic sea-change" phase hoping to be in a position in a couple of years to live aboard something. I'll be doing a few courses in sailing/coxwain etc so I'll know more I guess as I get into it.

At this stage I just have some early niaive questions if someone could point me in the right direction

The size/style I think at this early stage I'd like is something like this - ROBERTS WAVERUNNER boat details - BoatPoint Australia

1. What do folks reckon might be the cruising speed and economy of such a beast?

2. Around Darwin (north Australia) where I live there's pretty big tides (and hence currents) - apart from rivers and narrow channels/straits where I'd expect to have to wait for the tide is the slow speed of a displacement cruiser much of an issue otherwise? I really want to be able to visit the Kimberlies also where the tides are even bigger.

3. In regards to electricity there seems to be bits of info all over the web regarding solar panels, wind generators etc. Anyone have a good link to somewhere that explains all the concepts from the basics upwards?

4. I'll obviously know more as I learn and research over the next couple of years but just for interest where could a boat like that linked above go? For instance would you attempt a tasman crossing in good weather and visit kiwiland? (assuming boat is shipshape etc) or is it really just a coastal cruiser?

Cheers and sorry for the dumb questions
djambalawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 19:46   #2

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Re: Newby questions

Welcome aboard. I remember looking at the Waverunners as a self build many years ago. If you run it as the planning hull that it is, fuel will disappear at a very impressive rate.
Old 10-05-2011, 20:37   #3

Re: Newby Questions

Thanks Lancerbye - I didn't realise that a boat like this could plane - shows how ignorant I am 8'o

I've found this boat at yachtworld also 1989 Roberts 42 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com where they state in the details that it cruises at 8 knots and 10 is it's max - would these speeds indicate that they are using it as a displacement?
Old 10-05-2011, 22:07   #4
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Doing a search, the only Waverunner 42 ad with a description of the hull called it a deep V displacement. And with single Perkins 6cyl (saw one with twin 80hp Lehmans), no way will they plane.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 22:20   #5

Hmm ok - just looking at yachtworld you seem to be able to get a lot more boat for the money in the states... especially with the aussie dollar being so high.. just the slight problem of distance I guess.

But I guess if its $50k USD cheaper.. i dunno what would it cost to ship such a boat to Australia?