Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2013, 19:17   #16

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Newly Aquired Grand Banks Alaskan 49'

Congratulations, Gorby'... what a find! Interior looks great. If you have teak decks you might want to consider removing them and scarfing in new wood with fiberglass and nonskid over top. Only sure way I know of to permanently stop the leaks.
The top photo looks suspiciously like it is a DeFever... the give away for me is the triangular shaped aft window in the wheelhouse on the port profile. It looks very much like our old Defever 54 but the name plate is positioned differently (lower). The picture of the starboard exterior of the wheelhouse clearly looks like a Grand Banks.
Not sure whether Flemings also copied the wheelhouse triangular window from the DeFever plans but understand they copied other features fairly liberally from Art DeFevers' original design. Art was not happy about it which I know from personal discussions with him a few years ago. Perhaps someone more familiar with the wheelhouse window configuration on Grand Banks can set me straight.
Very good friends of ours owned a Grand Banks in San Diego for years and had nothing but wonderful words for them except for being a little rolly in a seaway. But you have yourself a wonderful liveaboard and cruising platform... cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 19:59   #17

Boat: Boat owner hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Erwin View Post
If someone wanted to visit this extraordinary boat - assuming permission were granted of course - would one find it in Brookings?

Charles
Yes! I'd love to show you the boat if you were to get down to Brookings!
Gorbachov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 20:17   #18

Boat: Boat owner hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
The top photo looks suspiciously like it is a DeFever... the give away for me is the triangular shaped aft window in the wheelhouse on the port profile.
Phil,

I think what you're seeing is through the aft port side window and through the window on the very back side of the pilot house where there is a fiberglass mock exhaust stack in the middle. It's centered between the two windows on the back of the pilot house and the sloping back of the stack makes the aft port side window appear triangular, but it's actually rectangular. This may be more evident in the last picture out of the same group of shots where the she's up on stanchions in the boat yard and you can see the starboard side.
Gorbachov is offline   Reply With Quote