Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2008, 19:07   #1

Boat: Bayliner 265, 27' - Sra. Escopeta
Talking Offshore boats: Crownlines??

Hi All,
I am relatively new to this forum. I've been boating for a year now with a new Bayliner 265. Most of my boating experience has been in the Biscayne Bay in Miami. Now looking to upgrade to a new twin engine boat (34~40' range). I like Formulas and Montereys but out of my price range. I recently started looking at Crownlines but don't know much about them. Have not found much info ( good or bad ) on the net. I am looking specifically at the 34 CR. Does anyone know if Crownline will make a good offshore boat to go Island hoping from Miami? Reliable?, any issues with them? Recommendations on other brands in similar price range (~$200k)?
Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.
LouMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 10:21   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
yachtworld.com is a wealth of price comparisons. I am sure for $200k you will be able to find a WIDE selection of boats. Sometimes an older well kept boat is a much better buy. I am hoping you are looking for a seaworthy boat.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 15:15   #3

Boat: Bayliner 265, 27' - Sra. Escopeta
Thank you sir. Yes, I am looking for a seaworthy boat. However, I am not sure how to define seaworthy.
LouMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 16:54   #4

With power boats it's different than sail. In most cases you can outrun a storm front instead of having to weather it.
That said, if my budget were 200K. I'd be looking for some exceptional names in the power boat world. Egg Harbor, Hatteras, Ocean, just about any of the sport fish brands. The cuddy/cabin/sun bridge production cruisers are not IMHO good boats to take a quick trip to the Bahamas in. Even with twin engines. You still need boyancy and a hull form to cut waves, not skim the tops.
I guess the root of my statement is if you can trailer it, don't take it.
Now, if you have the utmost confidence in your skill in seamanship and mechanics then The boat you have now could make the trip with the right weather. I'm restoring an old Searay just for trips like this. It's a tank at 13,000#, twin diesel, generator and I'll know where every screw is on the boat.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 17:27   #5
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
What I'd add to what never monday said is that I like a dual helm. No matter how well you plan, the weather is gonna get bad sometime and driving from the inside with heat or A/C can be nice. I almost NEVER drive inside, but it's nice to know I can.

If you are occasional island hopping and fuel consumption is not an issue, then an older Sea Ray can indeed be a good choice. I have a 1982 SRV360 I gave $50k for, 18,000# twin diesel with genset. 400 gal fuel gets about 400 mile range (600 with safety margin) at 6-7kts and about 200 mile range at 18kts. You can get something in a full displacement hull with, say, twin 120hp Lehmans that will almost double that, but your top speed will be less than 10kts. And finding something like that in a configuration conducive to scuba diving will be more difficult.

In the $200k range, your options open up considerably. The brands never monday mentioned are some of my favorites.

Hint: I spent 2 years looking at boats before buying what I have now (of course I had a 36' wood boat while I was looking). I would have preferred a trawler, but couldn't find anything within my budget. I just kept picking boats and running it past my friends. They would point out all the negatives. Over time the negative responses dwindled. So, take your time (you don't have to take as long as I did, though!). Post some of your choices in here and see what the comments are.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 17:47   #6

I forgot Bertram.
In the sun deck/bridge sport boat styles.
Pre 95 Searays, any Formula, Taira. I have issues with Montery and Bayliners less than 32ft.
Anyway possible get diesel. It has less things to go wrong out there.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 17:32   #7

Boat: Sunkyong Marine Ltd. 37' Sedan Trawler - Savannah
If I was trying to spend 200k on a boat for island hopping, I'd look for a 35-42' sportfish from the above mentioned classic name brands. Definitely get diesel. There are some fantastic buys out there right now for either well cared for older boats or even into some relatively new boats. Take a look at a few examples:
1988 Hatteras 41C Boat For Sale
1990 Hatteras Convertible Boat For Sale

I'm not biased to Hatteras, but you can get the idea. even though they're 18 years old, they are in super shape and will not drop in value like most of the cookie cutter production boats. I've seen many that are even older, but with complete overhauls that would make excellent boats. Spend less than 200k and have plenty of money left over for fuel, insurance, dockage, island trips, rum, etc.

In my opinion, you need to really look away from a crowline style boat. They depreciate soooo fast and you can get much more boat for less. There are many Hatteras, Egg Harbor, etc. boats from the 60's still looking good and fishing/cruising today. If you must get a Crownline style boat, make sure it's inboard diesel. I/O drives and salt don't mix very well.
GDFL is offline   Reply With Quote