Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2011, 04:16   #1

Oh Lord, Wont Ya Buy Me, a L/A Boat

G'day all,

After having so long viewed this wonderfully informative forum, i have decided to 'join in' as it were.

Living the dream down here in sunny Morington, Australia , i am about to take the plunge and purchase my new abode. After lots of searching, i had decided on the likes of Carver504, Bayliner 4788, Hatty' 50-55...love these....etc, et al. Looking at landing in Aussie for approx 200k, plus import duties and the dreaded GST.

Then, someone throws me a curved ball................

1992 Jeantot Catamaran 42 Euphorie Power Catamaran POP Yachts

Damn, I LOVE this !!

Anyone got info on this angelic beauty?

Thanks for your time

If anyone needs any info on the Mornington Peninsula, pls feel free to ask away.

Cheers !!
fruiterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 06:04   #2

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
Re: Oh Lord, wont 'ya buy me, a L/A boat

Looks great to me. I have never had a cat mind you. It is not too far from me. If you like I could take it on a two or three month test cruise for you. Your only cost for this service would be fuel. If I really like it, it might take a little longer to evaluate.
Old 16-03-2011, 06:11   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Oh Lord, wont 'ya buy me, a L/A boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Looks great to me. I have never had a cat mind you. It is not too far from me. If you like I could take it on a two or three month test cruise for you. Your only cost for this service would be fuel. If I really like it, it might take a little longer to evaluate.
" A friend in need, is a friend indeed "
Old 18-03-2011, 11:14   #4

Boat: Olson 40
Re: Oh Lord, Wont Ya Buy Me, a L/A Boat

1992 is pretty old, 19 years old. Assume nearly everything needs to be rewired, and most things need to be re-plumbed (new hoses, new through hulls). Access to these kinds of things seems to be restricted, so taking care of these issues will be hard (or expensive).

The engine rooms look to be cramped, hard to work in. This means essential maintenance will have been overlooked in the past, and will be expensive, hard to do, and overlooked in the future. Probably contributed to the outrageous amount of money the current owner spent on the boat over the past decade ($400K). And the owner probably spent that much because he had to (nobody wants to). In other words, the expected probably happened -- the reliability of the boat suffers because its hard to maintain.

That would be enough to scratch the boat off my list, but let me continue: the "mouse fur" carpeting. This leads to mildew and mold, so the boat either smells badly, or it has the airconditioning running cold full-time. Really annoying to need the generator or shore power to avoid a smelly boat. Again, that disqualifies boats from my consideration.

When I have talked myself into buying boats that were (1) too old, or (2) hard to maintain, or (3) prone to mold and mildew, I have regretted it BIG TIME.

Otherwise, it looks like a very nice boat. I suggest looking for something newer and smaller. Buy quality over quantity.

Try this one, it has none of the above disadvantages, and its cheaper:

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

I searched for powercats newer than 2000, 30 to 60 feet, $150K to $250K. Always assume the seller has a lot to give on the price, they always do.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote