Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 09:17   #1

Open Ocean Capability

Hello! I am new here, and to the world of cruising. I found this boat on boats.com and am wondering what your opinions are on its ability to survive in an open ocean enviroment? (Say to cruise Bermuda for example) (I am speaking mostly of the boat itself, not so much the current condition of engines and gear etc)

1949 Custom - Boats.com

Now, before you say it, I must place the following disclaimer. I am not planning to purchase a random boat and cruise it into the open ocean with no experience. Do not worry! I am just wanting some feedback and to learn.

I have been looking at alot of sailboats and powerboats for fun, and in the distant future would like to purchase a crap heap boat that I could modify/build into a cruiser. Right now I am thinking of purchasing a small inexpensive sailboat like a MacGregor Venture, or simmilar and taking some sailing courses on local Texas Lakes. Gotta start somewhere!
highamperage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

If in sound condition.. hull integrity, engine etc I don't see why not at the right time of year.. also as this is a workboat she's probably of stronger spec's than a pleasure craft of a similar type would be.....
Some may say no... but that I feel would be more down to their own prejudices/capabilities....

Welcome to CF by the way....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:46   #3

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Those fishing trawlers go out quite a ways. The tankage is a little small for a crossing. Most crossing trawlers have stabilization, either active, or paravanes, or both. There are several online articles about people that have taken modified, or custom trawlers across the Atlantic. ... 2.5gals /hr times 3000/miles divided by 8 knots = 1000 gals of fuel plus a safety margin 1300 gals plus generator and stormage, (head winds and currents), 1500gals? Times 3-4 dollars a gallon = $6000 to $8000 US dollar??? Sailing sure is a lot cheaper.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:52   #4

Thank you for the welcomeing and the feedback. I do like these older steel hulled workboats as potential refit into cruisers. They seem pretty heavy duty. Don't know why but I'd rather be in a rough looking rugged ex-work boat than a shiny yacht. So long as the interior can be made confortable

In all honesty though, I'll probably end up with a sailing vessle of some type due to fuel costs, especially for long cruises. Will depend on if I take to sailing after getting some lessons, I feel like it's something I will really enjoy.

This looks pretty intersting sailing wise: 1987 Bruce Roberts Professionally Built Spray 44 Sloop - Boats.com (Repaired of course)
highamperage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:55   #5
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by highamperage View Post
Hello! I am new here, and to the world of cruising. I found this boat on boats.com and am wondering what your opinions are on its ability to survive in an open ocean enviroment? (Say to cruise Bermuda for example) (I am speaking mostly of the boat itself, not so much the current condition of engines and gear etc)

1949 Custom - Boats.com

Now, before you say it, I must place the following disclaimer. I am not planning to purchase a random boat and cruise it into the open ocean with no experience. Do not worry! I am just wanting some feedback and to learn.

I have been looking at alot of sailboats and powerboats for fun, and in the distant future would like to purchase a crap heap boat that I could modify/build into a cruiser. Right now I am thinking of purchasing a small inexpensive sailboat like a MacGregor Venture, or simmilar and taking some sailing courses on local Texas Lakes. Gotta start somewhere!
Notes:
  • That boat is not a fishing trawler. It is a military tug converted to a fishing boat. It is likely to be very rolly in open water. Here is an example of one of those tugs in original configuration: USS Hoga (YT-146) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. What I am saying is that this boat was not designed to go in open water. It could probably do it just fine, but I'm betting it would be so uncomfortable you'd only do it once.
  • Steel boats especially need to be surveyed by someone experienced in steel boats. If that boat needs to be re-plated, the cost will be many times the purchase price.

Having said that, I am like you. I'd rather be in a workman like boat than something that looks like a yacht. The old steel fishing trawlers looks like a good way to go for me.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 13:22   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
The tug: She's very old, and very old steel boats usually need a lot of replating which will cost more than the price of the boat. Also, being an ex-tug, she's going to have shoal draft and little of any keel, so she won't have much carrying capacity and she'll roll like crazy. Building a living area on a boaat like that would be EXTREMELY expensive and difficult, and after you were finished you'd have an odd duckling with a huge thirst for fuel.
the cutter: Much better choice, but the broker already says she needs replating so plan on adding a LOT more money. Bruce Roberts designed some great boats, many of them in steel. But steel and salt water do not mix well without a LOT of ongoing maintenance. A boat that age will at least need to be completely sandblasted down to bare, clean steel inside and out (ever try to get blasting media out of the interior of a boat?) and sprayed with epoxy barrier coats and then properly painted. You'd then have a sound old hull ... after which you can go to work on the old electricals, standing and running rigging, etc. If you've got an extra $150K or so after the purchase price, go for it.
All that said, there is a reason there are so many aging boats, both sail and power, on the market at rather low prices. It's supply and demabd. No one wants them - cost too much to bring back and then the maintenance is god awful.
Hang onto your dream, but forget steel for a cruiser. There are thousands of well built older fiberglass boats out there. My own is built like an icebreaker and I'd take her anywhere ... and she never rusts!
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 09:19   #7

Boat: Davies 169'10"
I am seeking information on "aging fiberglass hulls". Our 125' Delta is starting to show cracks on every level. Is there a determined "drop dead" date for fiberglass hulls manufactured in 1990? I wouldn't think so, but hope to get some advice on this subject from the forum.
beauportship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 10:02   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I responded you your questions in the other thread, but to answer directly, no, there is no "drop dead date". Many boats much older than yours are still going strong. As I stated in your other thread, I would recommend you get a surveyor to check out your ship.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote