Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 09:27   #1

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Opinions, please. Price to redo non-skid

Afternoon everyone.

Boat’s in the yard for a bottom job. (The one in the avatar photo) We had them give us an estimate to repair/redo some non-skid on the deck that has started to peel up in a couple of small areas. They want to peel all the non-skid, fill and fair any spots, prime and reapply non-skid for the whole deck. The estimate is $15,800!!! I pretty much gagged. Does that seem high to you? Granted, there is a lot of deck area but geez!

What are your thoughts? Are they on target or out of line?

Thanks.

John
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 21:36   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Opinions, please. Price to redo non-skid

I do my own. It's not rocket science.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 00:59   #3

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Alternativ, check out KiwiGrip. Great stuff!
Old 06-04-2019, 01:05   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

How much, is that with gold leaf

What exactly is the current non slip? any photos?

20 year old boat, would you accept a nice non slip paint finish instead?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:19   #5

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohnEasley View Post
Afternoon everyone.

Boat’s in the yard for a bottom job. (The one in the avatar photo) We had them give us an estimate to repair/redo some non-skid on the deck that has started to peel up in a couple of small areas. They want to peel all the non-skid, fill and fair any spots, prime and reapply non-skid for the whole deck. The estimate is $15,800!!! I pretty much gagged. Does that seem high to you? Granted, there is a lot of deck area but geez!

What are your thoughts? Are they on target or out of line?

Thanks.

John
See what happens when you own a 52 foot powerboat and require some work done, all too many "marine service providers" see you as a cash cow ready for the milking.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:44   #6

Should have included images of the peeling. It was only actually peeling in two spots but the previous owner had repaired half a dozen other spots.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:09   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

Do it yourself. Use Kiwi Grip. Piece of cake. Two 4-liter cans and some tape should do the job. and you save about $15k.
CommodoreDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommodoreDoug View Post
Do it yourself. Use Kiwi Grip. Piece of cake. Two 4-liter cans and some tape should do the job. and you save about $15k.
Interesting. Thanks. Does KiwiGrip allowing matching the color?
Old 06-04-2019, 09:40   #9

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

John, We are preparing to use Kiwigrip to redo our painted nonskid. You can tint Kiwigrip with waterbased tints. We plan to have the local paint store tint it for us to match what we have.

The PYI site for Kiwigrip seems to be down as I write, but here is their link to coloring instructions.

Cheers! Bill

PS: We plan to purchase white Kiwigrip for color matching... I believe that is Kiwigrips' recommendation as well, but cannot confirm since their site is unavailable right now...
Old 06-04-2019, 09:46   #10

It comes in four basic tints-the cream, which is actually more of a sandy or beige color, matched my non-skid perfectly. I believe you can add tint to it if you use water-based paint. In a perfect world, one of the stock tints will work with no fuss or muss. The local west marine store loaned me their sample card so I could physically compare the swatch to my non-skid. Here is a link to the swatch card.

http://http://www.fawcettboat.com/pc...E2067017E53DEF
Old 06-04-2019, 09:48   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Yeah, we used KiwiGrip on our 31' sailboat. Dewaxed/degreased the old non-skid, light sanding and fairing of any damaged areas, one coat of epoxy primer. Another light sanding and wipe-down. Masked and rolled on the KiwiGrip. Masking took the longest as our old sailboat has a lot of deck fittings.

It's easy to use, though we recommend doing one masked area at a time as it sets up quickly and you have to remove the masking tape quickly. You can adjust the coarseness of the coating to your liking (nice if you walk barefoot a lot on some areas but want extra grip in certain areas). If you are unhappy with the coarseness in a particular area, just sand off a bit of it and reapply. Water-based so odors/solvents were not an issue (we actually applied it under shrink-wrap).

The stuff is durable, though maybe not quite as tough as some non-skids. Our anchor chain hasn't really damaged it much. Our job is entering it's fifth Maine summer in which we live aboard for 3-4 months. Touch up every other year takes less than an hour. Comes in a variety of colors. There's videos on applying it.

We also redid the deck paint at the same time, using Interlux Perfection. This saved having to mask the non-skid twice, as we just rolled on the Perfection without worrying about getting some on the non-skid as it would be re-sanded later.

Total cost for the non-skid areas was about $400 for primer, KiwiGrip and other materials. Deck paint was another $300. We met an owner of a boat similar to ours but 2 feet longer who had his deck done at a yard for $20,000. Granted he had all deck fittings removed and rebedded (after repairing some small areas of core water infiltration). Our fittings had already been re-bedded and there was no sign of water penetration. But still, we think we saved at least $15,000 doing it ourselves. Not hard work for the most part, just a bit tedious.

Not sure how many hours it took. We were worried about getting the entire job done in one wet, cool Nova Scotia spring, so we sanded, faired and primed the entire deck (including the non-skid) at the end of the 2014 summer, then did the deck finish coats and non-skid the following spring.

The finished job is not quite pro-quality, but easily passes the three-foot test. The money we saved went into a new engine which we LOVE.

That's about all I can remember. Good luck and do enjoy the coming season.

Jenn and Terry
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:54   #12

Jen & Terry,

Thanks for sharing. Great advice on prepping the deck for the Kiwi Grip.You've inspired me to grab some Interlux and head for the cockpit-except it's pouring rain so I guess I'll have another cup of Joe. I agree the three feet test is a good measurement of pride of ownership. After all, you can either sail and live on your boat, or you can keep it in boat show condition for the next owner.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:07   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Great attitude, Doug.

Let us all know how you make out with your non-skid. We're always looking for better ways to maintain our old boats.

Cheers!

Terry
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 16:38   #14

Boat: Volkscruiser

CaptJohnEasly I would have thought that price is not to far out. Working on decks can be very awkward being jammed between the toe rail and cabin side or working from scaffolding. But like everyone is saying why not do it yourself? or get the yard just to sand the old non-skid touch up the flaking bits and roll on the new Kiwi grip. As for filling and fairing thats just crazy, a flush fill straight of the spatula is good enough for non-skid areas. You are talking a semi gloss textured finished and you would have to be superman to notice any imperfections in the paint.

Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:13   #15

Boat: Spacesailer

The YouTube channel Boatworks Today has some good videos showing how to do non-skid, including one called "Gelcoat nonskid Spot Repair". There are plenty of choices besides KiwiGrip.
MartinAdelaide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, price