Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2021, 19:42   #1

Overseas Industries PT-35 Sundeck

HI,

Looking to purchase this type of boat.
Can anyone shed some light on this type of boat, I think they were built in Taiwan by Chien Hwa Boat Manufacturing & Industries Ltd Taiwan( looks like they may no longer be in business). Can anyone confirm this for me and if the below water line construction is solid glass(not balsa cored)

Also any other info that they know/have would be great.

Thanks

Grant
grantstq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 20:23   #2

Re: Overseas Industries PT-35 Sundeck

I tried to buy one years ago.(failed sea trial). Not sure what year you are considering, but typical Taiwanese trawler from the era. I believe solid fiberglass hull and cored deck. Nice interior woodwork. Frequently twin Perkins diesels. Condition and value highly dependent on how well it’s been maintained and control of any leaks around windows and deck hardware. Soft decks are a possibility, so careful inspection important. Have you queried over at the Trawler Forums?
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 20:43   #3

Thanks What was the issue with your sea trial? This boat is 1989 with 6BT Cummins with 1900hrs looks to have been well maintained. I am new to this forum so thanks again for your early reply
Old 01-02-2021, 05:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, grantstq.

Further to Phyrcooler’s suggestion:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...o-11800-2.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantstq View Post
Thanks What was the issue with your sea trial? This boat is 1989 with 6BT Cummins with 1900hrs looks to have been well maintained. I am new to this forum so thanks again for your early reply
As you’ll note my post on the thread that Gordmay linked, I really liked the boat. I like sundeck style, aft cabin “trawlers”. The boat I sea trialed just had too many issues that came up - including a heavily blistered hull. (Lots to read, and lots of opinions on hull blisters! Google that and sit down with a pot of coffee for the day!)

Long story short - ended up with a Mainship 390 which we mostly loved. However, missed sailing too much, so we recently went back to the quiet side! 😉. Couldn’t be happier.

Someday, if I ever buy another power boat, I would consider the aft cabin/sundeck trawler style. However, I would much prefer a single engine with bow thruster. The cramped engine space on this size boats with twins is a nightmare for working in the outboard sides. (But can be done. Or save yourself the headaches, and pay a mechanic!) Chien Hwa made trawlers under different names. I like the newer updated versions sold as Heritage East 36. I believe, but not positive they were Chien Hwa boats as well. There’s one listed on Yacht World currently.

Cummins makes a great motor. If you like the boat, get a good survey. In addition to my previous comments, make sure the fuel tanks are closely examined. They are steel, and prone to rust issues.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 14:34   #6

Thanks next week will be interesting!

Tags
deck