Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 19:37   #1

Passagemaker

Well my wharram pahi 42 sailboat is for sale and after moving to the west coast of vancouver island i am rethinking cruising. After reading voyoging under power and delivery a couple of Nordhavns I want to buy a passagemaker. So I was wondering if any of you have sugestions on a affordable passagemaking trawler. I like the 42 Krogens but they would take another 2 years or so before I could think about them. I would like something under a 100k. My requirements:

2500-3000 mile range
2gal and hour burn
2 staterooms
solid heavy bluewater boat
I have almost all nav electronics/ solar/ ect already so it could be bare
a wing engine would be nice
I might be asking too much but it never hurts to ask I am scared of wood hulls but thats bc I have only heard horror stories and have never had any first hand experience. I am very hands on and have restored a few boats but not a boatsmith.

Thanks guys
Finditsurfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 20:19   #2

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
here ya go

1980 Beebe Passagemaker Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Here you are, this boat has a soft spot on the transom, above the waterline, and the big generator/get home engine is disassambled. AS it says, an estate sale, had one offer for 75K but they backed out. Even though YW says listed 2/09, I think it has been on the market a lot longer and that date reflects; an ad modification, perhaps a price change.

The deceased owner fell off the new $20k aluminum top. I would not be afraid of this wood hull, especially where you are, there are a lot of wood shipwrights there in BC. Wood is like everything else, maintain it and you will be ok.

Read George Buehler's book "The Troller Book."

Here is a beauty near you, looks very pretty, and the hull made to US Navy Military specs. 1953 U.S. Navy design Pilothouse Liveaboard Cruising Trawler Commercial Boat For
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:47   #3

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Mule, thats a couple of excellent examples you posted, that Bebbe is apparently the only chine passagemaker that he designed, i was working at Scarrano shipyard in Albany when she was hauled out there in the fall of 05 and recognized it as a Bebbe and the owner showed me around,sorry to hear of his demise. Either one of those boats would be magnificent.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:37   #4

I am in love with the deisel suck sedan. I read the troller book he wrote. I am not to sure about the beebe but that navy boat is perfect if it was not wood. I am scared I won't be able to keep up with the maintnance in the tropics. I wish it were steel. thanks for the suggestions I love this forum.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:55   #5

findit

Go talk to some wood boat shipwrights up there, (or better yet George) see what they have to say. Then share it here, I would be very interested. You could have George Buhler do the survey, he lives right down the street from the navy boat. Ya know all boats were either wood or steel until after WWII. With the new coatings I cannot help but believe that there is a cure for wooditus.

I was most impressed with his 1/4" plywood fix, 2 layers and roofing cement for tired old wood hulls. I like his boats too but, too rich for my blood. he references Beebe all through his book.
Old 06-07-2009, 14:09   #6

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
cheap boats

Check out all your local banks, especially those that serve the fishing industry.Lots of fishermen are just walking away from their boats and the banks want them off the books as they are a potential liability to them. Marinas also have many boats that have been abandoned, but they may not have title. What you save in purchase price you may have to make up in hard work, but they do have huge fuel and water tanks, good solid diesels and gensets and they are seaworthy.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 17:49   #7

I would love to talk to george, I will give it a try I can't get a new one till the old one sells. Wife said we are a one boat family, LOL. I was going down the old fishing boat route until I talked to afriend who dropped a 150 g's on his conversion great boat but I would rather get one like the navy boat. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Anybody been on a Krogen 42?
Old 06-07-2009, 18:55   #8

Take her down to that Navy boat. You might be surprised. BYW, I just picked up the phone after I read George's book, dialed the number and damn if he did not answer. He is real earthy.
Old 08-07-2009, 19:47   #9

Ok so a little different direction but....
1997 Custom Pilothouse Garden LRC - Classic Replica Power Boat For Sale

I think it would make a nice home and a great charter boat for myself and if I slow it down great economy. Plus its classic looking with a aluminum hull.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-07-2009, 20:27   #10

cool!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:41   #11

Boat: Passagemaker Lite
Send a message via Skype™ to Ataraxia
I could not find what I wanted in a reasonable price range so I just had one built for us. So I could control the price: Ataraxia- Passagemaker Lite 486 - ataraxia.talkspot.com
Ataraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 17:48   #12

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finditsurfit View Post
Ok so a little different direction but....
1997 Custom Pilothouse Garden LRC - Classic Replica Power Boat For Sale

I think it would make a nice home and a great charter boat for myself and if I slow it down great economy. Plus its classic looking with a aluminum hull.

What do you guys think?
Looks like an absolute bargain to me, if its as good as the pics