Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2016, 16:33   #16

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: Pocket Cruiser?

Also - good math on fuel consumption and a good way to look at it. I did not realize the smaller trawlers were so fuel efficient...cool.

Now I just need to find some in my Palm Coast Fl. area to look at.

Thanks for the fuel efficiency numbers.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 16:40   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The tipping point here is the addition of the Bahamas to your list. East coast Florida gives you frequent inlets if you want to come in, off shore coastal runs if the weather is right, and the ditch when it's not. Crossing to the Bahamas means longer runs, 90 miles at times, with current to fight and weather that will leave you to wonder whether NOAA predictors ever look out the window. The secure boat for that task is a bit bigger than a trailerable trawler.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 05:20   #18

I added the Bahamas because in December, January, and Feburary I may want to take a 2 - 3 week trip into warmer water. Thought with a good weather window and a power boat like a Ranger Tug R-27 I could get there with no trouble.

I have seen wave runners on YouTube making the run over to the Bahamas from S. Florida.

Old 21-07-2016, 06:03   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I need to sell my Dually as well, Have had it since new in 01, but have gotten rid of everything I used to tow.
I have always wanted a Dually for towing heavy, just in case I have a rear wheel blowout, that can get ugly real quick if your single wheel
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 07:34   #20

I notice how stable the wide back track makes the dually a great tow vehicle for sure. The newer diesels also have a bunch of power too.

I went to Ponce Inlet Florida yesterday to look at a Ranger Tug I saw on-line. Put the address in the GPS and off I went. (Actually I wanted to see Ponce Inlet anyway). I failed to find the boat. I asked around and local shops knew the boat sales place I was asking about but two places told me they closed.

The best place I know of to look at boats is Deltaville Va.

Any one know the best place to look at boats between St. Augustine Florida and Daytona Florida.

Old 23-07-2016, 09:29   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wefings Marine in Eastpoint, FL. on the pan handle between Carrabelle and Apalacicola deals in Ranger Tug, and ususally has a few in stock, including used ones. Good people to deal with. If you call them at 850 670-8100 they'll tell you what's in stock. Recently they had a very nice 25' and a 27' used at good prices. They specialize in small boats that are a bit more seaworthy than the usual Florida boat - their yard makes me think I'm in New England.
Old 23-07-2016, 12:50   #22

Thanks...the 27' Ranger Tug says 'sale pending' but they still have a 25' Ranger Tug. It is 4.5 hours from me but that is not really that far. I will be looking in Jacksonville since that is only 1 hour away.

I am really intriged by the outboard powered Ranger Tug. I know it will use more fuel but I do have a soft spot in my heart for the newer 4 cycle outboards.

Old 23-07-2016, 13:39   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've toured the 25 at Wefings - it's a small diesel, I forget which. My impressio was very positive. They fit a lot of boat into 25 feet, and are serious enough about seaworthiness to avoid fly bridges. That boat has both bow and stern thrusters, believe it or not - no excuses for not docking that one. A little envy here - I'm single screw with no thrusters.
Old 23-07-2016, 13:39   #24

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

It might also be worth looking at a Nimble Nomad, or Rosborough 246. Both come with either inboard diesel or outboard. The Nimbles are a full displacement hull; Rosborough's are semi-displacement. Both very economical.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 13:51   #25

Looking at the Ranger Tug free board it looks low in the water. That is ok for 80% of what I want to use the boat for but I know I will want to take it out in the ocean.

Do you guys think a 25' Ranger Tug is large enough to take out in the ocean?

How about a 27' Ranger Tug?

Tags
cruise, cruiser, pocket cruiser