Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2020, 05:25   #1

POP Yachts sell & buy another boat Any GOOD ? BAD ?

Searching for a boat 7 years ago , brokers , listing agents,
private sellers , not very positive

Here in Fla traditionally cruisers are slower sells . Buyers want center consoles , fishing boats, OB , sport fisherman with diesel engines

Since pandemic cruisers ( all boats ) are selling

New engines , drives , 30 ft boat with a trailer , might be a good time too explore what interest I might get for my 30 ft Regal Commodore - 2004

Presently buyers are facing , Higher pricing , short supply

Running a Face Book Market Place add & Craigslist ,
A number of consignment shops contacted me
Trailer boat too them they will sell

2 people , came too boat , tire kickers , time wasters , figuring good experience for me , NO JOY RIDES ,

I am 73 , old school , hand shake is your word ,
TODAY that's gone ELBOW BUMP.
Everybody has a angle , scams , trust few Shame never grew up this way
Limited knowledge too navigate
Then I have too buy listings too market boat
strangers boarding your boat ,
covid .
I had a independent broker come down , took extensive videos ,
He wanted too see proof of boat ownership , ( I get it ) title, copy of my license ,
Not sending you my license , Also I want too see your brokers license or agent that you represent yourself working for a broker, refences , copy of selling agreement before I do anything , HE NEVER RESPONDED
DISAPPEARED
Following day POP yachts contacts me
Responded too my add , Showing my pics with wording , how if they marketed my boat would look with 10 % higher asking price 2 cover commissions
During past week their listing office has been persistent ,
Once signing listing agreement a person will come down taking a 100 pics ,
I am considering giving listing too POP , let them deal with tire kickers , time wasters, no money buyers standing close too strangers , but they have a hand full of agents , lots of ground too cover showing boats challenging connecting with buyers that want too view a boat
If I sell on my own no commissions too them , Can cancel anytime , Their wording in listing agreement seems straight , only obligation is FULL ASKING PRICE OFFERED , I MUST SELL , otherwise I don't have too sell and owe them nothing
THEY obviously doing something right , they are a internet search engine connecting buyers , sellers , worldwide
Reviews , disturbing ,
Anybody have first hand dealings with POP

I am in the Daytona area
Local agent welcome too contact me
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 05:33   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: POP Yachts sell & buy another boat Any GOOD ? BAD ?

If you’ve got a problem giving a local broker a copy of your drivers license, I predict you’ll have a real problem working with an internet based broker.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 05:47   #3

MORNING SAIL

showing my license before viewing a contract too be signed ??
I understand they want too see if I own boat , No problem showing registration and at some point proof of my license
Internet company did not ask for license , only proof of ownership
I am guessing you had no first hand knowledge of POP
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 05:56   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I delivered my first, and last, Pop's boat this year. While your boat may be clean, this one had numerous issues. Pop's found a surveyor that gave it a well worded clean-survey.

We got from the New River to Hillsboro Inlet before I contacted the owner that the vessel was unfit to make it to SC. She spent 10 days having carburetor issues solved, and removing fuel squeeze bulbs from the inboard engine compartment. Did I mention the uncapped fuel line to the tank???

Not sure who is best for your needs- 30'Regal. For buyers of larger boats, I would be very wary.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 06:08   #5

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

Im not happy with Pop Yachts. I made a reasonable offer on a well used vessel and the agent never gave the offer to the owner. Have asked the agent repeatedly about feed back on the offer......no response.
I will use the internet and do my own brokering from now on.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 08:11   #6

Boat: Seaward 25

No transactional experience with them but I can say they are aggressive. They contacted me back in 2009 regarding a listing I had on Craigslist. The e-mail seemed like an interested buyer. Turned out, they just wanted to list the boat. I declined but I continue to this day to receive spam emails from them, despite every attempt to block them or get removed from their list.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 08:13   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

I reviewed boats through Pop Yachts.

Online only, contacted them with questions. Never physically visited any of the boats they listed.

I found Pop Yachts very disorganized. Their "brokers" were not located anywhere near the location of the boats I was asking about. (they were located in other states..)

I would ask around and find a local broker that is not a scoundrel..

Or list online at sites like yachtworld, boat trader, sailboat listings..

FYI, I bought my boat through a craigslist ad.

Cheers.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 08:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B View Post
Searching for a boat 7 years ago , brokers , listing agents,
private sellers , not very positive

Here in Fla traditionally cruisers are slower sells . Buyers want center consoles , fishing boats, OB , sport fisherman with diesel engines

New engines , drives , 30 ft boat with a trailer , might be a good time too explore what interest I might get for my 30 ft Regal Commodore - 2004

2 people , came too boat , tire kickers , time wasters , figuring good experience for me , NO JOY RIDES ,

covid .
He wanted too see proof of boat ownership , ( I get it ) title, copy of my license ,
Not sending you my license , Also I want too see your brokers license or agent that you represent yourself working for a broker, refences , copy of selling agreement before I do anything , HE NEVER RESPONDED
DISAPPEARED
Responded too my add , Showing my pics with wording , how if they marketed my boat would look with 10 % higher asking price 2 cover commissions
I am considering giving listing too POP , let them deal with tire kickers , time wasters, no money buyers standing close too strangers , but they have a hand full of agents , lots of ground too cover showing boats challenging connecting with buyers that want too view a boat
If I sell on my own no commissions too them , Can cancel anytime , Their wording in listing agreement seems straight , only obligation is FULL ASKING PRICE OFFERED , I MUST SELL , otherwise I don't have too sell and owe them nothing
THEY obviously doing something right , they are a internet search engine connecting buyers , sellers , worldwide
Reviews , disturbing ,

I am in the Daytona area
Local agent welcome too contact me
Tried working with POP as a buyers agent when we were looking for a boat. The rep we were working with had never boarded either of the boats we looked at that they listed, and honestly did not feel they had as good a handle on their listings as we wanted. Long story short, we asked and got our security deposit back after the boat we looked at thru them turned out to be spectacularly bad to a surveyor. While they're probably great for smaller boats, we ended up lucking out with a private sale direct from prev owner with no broker involved. Bright spot in this as a buyer was that POP lived up to their promise and refunded deposit no questions asked. So from that angle, they do what they say they will. Beyond that, I can only say that they didn't really know the boats we looked at and were as surprised as we were by deficiencies found either in showings or in the survey.
rwaldrop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 08:58   #9

Boat: Hunter 38

Just went through the boat buying process in FL looking for a mid-30' cruiser.

Many, many boats listed with POP, many, many individuals as brokers with POP.

Most of their boats were rather ratty, their responses weren't timely, I never looked at any of their boats physically.

IDK what their business model is, but I wasn't impressed.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:02   #10

My experience with POP Yachts (& RVs) was nothing short of horrible. I went through three different brokers in six months, all terrible in their own way. The first "problem" was when an Australian couple came to see the boat...you see, they were working with one broker before their journey to the US (specifically to find a boat) and they were bounced between three different brokers. They had provided their itinerary a couple of weeks in advance, but were blown off. They ended up in my area as they had planned, but the broker never let me know and was too busy to met with them...I was working and could not be there until about 15:00, so they ended up sitting in their car at the boat yard for five hours...they were pissed, and this probably affected their decision a bit. The next case was when a potential buyer was coming from Texas (to FL) and again advised the broker (a different one) what day they would be here to see the boat. Well, in the meantime the broker scheduled himself to accompany a potential buyer for another boat on a sea trial, and instead of getting another broker to show the boat or simply letting the couple come to our house (boat is on a canal behind out house), he simply said that they would have to wait! Now, the prospective buyers for my boat had already advised the broker that they had already purchased their ticket, and that it was non-refundable. Didn't matter. This couple eventually was able to track me down after their return to Texas, to let me know what was going on with my broker. They also told me and the broker that they were cash buyers. Needless to say, I blew up at this final one and ended my arrangement with POP Yachts & RVs. They are, in my personal experience, a horrible company to deal with and I would not recommend anyone to them.
sailormarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:21   #11

Boat: 38" Sailboat
POP Yachts sell & buy another boat Any GOOD ? BAD ?

Look at the brokers in your area, take a trip down look at their store fronts, do they have pictures of the boats and good adds? Look at the ones in high walking traffic areas, if there are any. Check which have similar boats to yours, brokers tend to specialize, don't pick a seller who normally sells 20 foot racers to sell a huge yacht. Look at their website, is it easy to find, look at the listing on the site. Then go to yachtworld does the broker list on it? If not probably look further unless it's a small boat. Again look at the listings.

All the listings should have good pictures and information, the boat should be neat and orderly in the pictures and not a mess. If the listings are subpar, you will not get many buyers and most will be bottom feeders.

This should allow you to narrow your selection. Then go talk with the brokers, bring a binder with pictures and information on your boat, and an idea of what you would like to sell it for. Talk to everybody on your list before making a decision. When you talk to them try to find one you like and feel us honest and not just blowing smoke. They should tell you everything you will be expected to do in the selling process also.

Brokers though are a lot like car salesmen, most should have their business license on display, and when you complete your deal everything should go through a reputable escrow agent.
SailingPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:49   #12
cdy

You would have to be crazy to list a boat with them - I have reached out 2-3 times in regards to a boat they had - twice never heard back - the other I questioned why they raised the price 50% over what the owner had listed it on CL for - they claimed it was worth the extra money and the owner did not market it right - as you can guess it sat for months - the boats I see that they list in Florida are boats the owner tries to sell himself - no luck - mostly because overpriced or in bad shape - boats a professional broker wont take - POP takes them - jacks the price up - does take a lot of pics and waits for an ill informed buyer comes along - you might get a deal - but read the reviews - the whole enterprise sounds unprofessional - regular brokers are bad enough - these guys seem to take the incompetence to an entire new level - run away.
cdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 11:04   #13

Pop Yachts usefullness is very uneven and one of their standard strategys is to find listings on "sailboatlistings.com" that haven't sold and somehow convince the owner that what they listed the boat for plus Pop's commision is a reasonable asking price !!!
The online listings they have for sailboats are amazingly uninformative . Sails ? yup that's checked , and that's about it. They produce a lot of pictures, 90% usuely of the interior. Expect to be informed about any electronics etc by peering at the pictures.
That said, some of the individual brokers, try to be very helpful

covid .
DISAPPEARED
Reviews , disturbing ,

I am in the Daytona area
Local agent welcome too contact me[/QUOTE]
gdecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 14:36   #14

Boat: Ted Brewer, Bulldog 30' built in aluminum

Click image for larger version

Name:	Loft1.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	229617

Name:	1BC82AFC-600F-4193-998F-2543AFE8B9EE.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	229618
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
You would have to be crazy to list a boat with them - I have reached out 2-3 times in regards to a boat they had - twice never heard back - the other I questioned why they raised the price 50% over what the owner had listed it on CL for - they claimed it was worth the extra money and the owner did not market it right - as you can guess it sat for months - the boats I see that they list in Florida are boats the owner tries to sell himself - no luck - mostly because overpriced or in bad shape - boats a professional broker wont take - POP takes them - jacks the price up - does take a lot of pics and waits for an ill informed buyer comes along - you might get a deal - but read the reviews - the whole enterprise sounds unprofessional - regular brokers are bad enough - these guys seem to take the incompetence to an entire new level - run away.

I would like to take issue with this comment. I have my boat listed on Ebay, CL, here on Cruisers Forum, Yachtworld, Sailboat Listings and POP. None of these listing agents, including POP, have altered my price, pics or description. Stating that POP "jacks the price" or takes mostly "overpriced or in bad shape" are both erroneous in my case.

POP has sent me weekly viewer reports for probably a year, and they are quite detailed. It is a little annoying for browsers on POP to have to enter an email to see all the photos, but this is propably how to watch which boats you click and peruse. Ebay does something similar on my listing, because they show me how many views and watchers I have.

POP has now found a buyer, facilitated the buyer and his surveyor aboard, has collected an escrow deposit, and scheduled the sea trial and purchase due date.
My treasured pocket cruiser is about to accompany the new owners around the world, and doing Ted Brewer's design proud.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rodriquez Key.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	229619  
kmcshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 14:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcshane View Post
Attachment 229617

Attachment 229618

I would like to take issue with this comment. I have my boat listed on Ebay, CL, here on Cruisers Forum, Yachtworld, Sailboat Listings and POP. None of these listing agents, including POP, have altered my price, pics or description. Stating that POP "jacks the price" or takes mostly "overpriced or in bad shape" are both erroneous in my case.

POP has sent me weekly viewer reports for probably a year, and they are quite detailed. It is a little annoying for browsers on POP to have to enter an email to see all the photos, but this is propably how to watch which boats you click and peruse. Ebay does something similar on my listing, because they show me how many views and watchers I have.

POP has now found a buyer, facilitated the buyer and his surveyor aboard, has collected an escrow deposit, and scheduled the sea trial and purchase due date.
My treasured pocket cruiser is about to accompany the new owners around the world, and doing Ted Brewer's design proud.
I think that charming boat sold itself despite POP Yachts bad rep and annoying employees.

What kind of boat is that?
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, yacht