Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2007, 18:10   #31

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Sean,
I couldn't find anything in my "Jane's Fighting Ships 1969-70" that looked like what you are intending. It is some sort of service craft for bay work I'm pretty certain. There were many refueling and watering barges that looked similar to that but I can't be certain of what it is.
My experience was on Destroyers and Cruisers so I can definitely tell you that it isn't one of those, however, missiles and 5" guns aboard would make it look pretty gnarly.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 18:19   #32

Boat: 44 footer
I'm pleased with the twin cummins 855's in the coast guard cutter. They run real well, and for 83 feet it does a gallon to the mile at 9 knots. One is a 1966, the other is a 1967. Basically a marinized dump truck motor, big inline six. They are naturally aspirated. We run them at 1200-1400 rpm depending on current/wind. It does not have enough power to keep the bow from going with the wind in 25 knots...

Does it have shafts and props? How bout gear boxes... no sense replacing those if they are operational, but it does mean limiting yourself to engines that bolt up. Unless its got a velvet drive or some crazy shaft setup... I'd say run with as much of whats already there as you can.

Do you have access to a crane, and cutting torch to go through the cabin top and deck to lift out the old motors and drop in new?
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 18:27   #33

Sean,
The more I think about this the more posible I think it might be.
80k lbs isn't that mush. Heck, I have 100+ft house boats here that weigh that much and are powered by 2x Mercruiser 5.7's with dang outdrives.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 18:28   #34

Aloha Sean,
The reason I responded is that if we could tell what it was originally and it was listed in "Jane's" I'd be able to tell you what its original power was.
For instance PBRs were listed as having two geared GM diesels with 440 hp and jet drives. Sorry I couldn't find your craft in there.
I think Cummins and Cat are your best bet. Never had much luck with GMs in boats but the Navy used them a lot.
Regards,
JohnL
Old 25-07-2007, 21:22   #35

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
While we're talking about crazy ideas (No offense, I like crazy!), how about steam?

I have no idea what the costs would be for the various methods of steam propulsion, but depending upon the system, you might not be limited to just one fuel type. Add to that it being a possible genset and heater in those cold northern winters.

Or possibly even crazier, oar power. Cut a few port holes in the sides, stick some oars out, hire yourself a "crew" and row to your destination. Market it as a historical experience and you might be able to get them to PAY, if you offer to lock them in chains and beat a drum or something.

And why not, while we're at it, sails. I mean, who'd have thought that WIND could push a boat?
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 10:01   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
sluissa, I like your off the wall ideas, although I think a bicycle built for two driving a generator that powers an electric drive motor is a better one. The bike could be mounted up in the pilot house and the handle bars rigged to the rudder.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 12:19   #37

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
Why not just connect the bicycle directly to the prop? If I remember correctly, bicycles are already 80%+ efficient at coverting muscle power to mechanical energy, why lower that with a complicated electrical system?
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 13:04   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I did think of that, but I couldn't figure out how to rig it so Sean could see where they were going. I suppose a periscope would work though, wouldn't it.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 14:35   #39

Boat: Morgan OI 414
How about cutting two holes in the deck and installing two sixty foot telephone poles and rigging it like a pirate ship. You could paint it black, then call it the Black Pearl and change your name to Captain Jack Sparrow. I'm only adding light hearted humour. If you really get that, I can see how you could turn it into a very rugged and comfortable floating condo. I wish you well.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 15:19   #40
cruiser

I can't belive you thought this! I had DEFINITELY considered steam in general about 6 months ago. I did the math and that's where it came in pretty tough.

You need TONS of coal to go a pretty short distance. If you're talking wood, then you're talking a couple cords a day or so in anything big enough to live on. I like the way you think though! Very good idea and very attractive... just tough for this boat.

Thanks for thinking like that - outside the box. Keep thinking like that and you'll end up inventing something cool. Don't let the naysayers win!

(Obviously I never do... ha ha ha )

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluissa
While we're talking about crazy ideas (No offense, I like crazy!), how about steam?

I have no idea what the costs would be for the various methods of steam propulsion, but depending upon the system, you might not be limited to just one fuel type. Add to that it being a possible genset and heater in those cold northern winters.

Or possibly even crazier, oar power. Cut a few port holes in the sides, stick some oars out, hire yourself a "crew" and row to your destination. Market it as a historical experience and you might be able to get them to PAY, if you offer to lock them in chains and beat a drum or something.

And why not, while we're at it, sails. I mean, who'd have thought that WIND could push a boat?
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 15:22   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewind
How about cutting two holes in the deck and installing two sixty foot telephone poles and rigging it like a pirate ship. You could paint it black, then call it the Black Pearl and change your name to Captain Jack Sparrow. I'm only adding light hearted humour. If you really get that, I can see how you could turn it into a very rugged and comfortable floating condo. I wish you well.
I DO get this... ha ha ha. If only it had a good keel...
Old 26-07-2007, 15:32   #42
cruiser

Hi Weyalan,

I don't mind sharing the budget at all. So long as nobody jumps all over my for honesty.

I agree with you. $30K is the budget, including a fit out of the interior, if necessary, as in the case of this old (1986) beast in VA.

This makes repowering it a bit tight... maybe... but the boat only costs $1000. I don't plan to do any surveys, since I've spent enough time kicking around in boats to know what's what. I do plan to buy an audiogauge and sound any steel hulls in the shortlist.

I took a look at the two boats you mentioned. Good ideas, but some issues for us: no wood boats - I am not a "wood" guy and I don't feel like glassing over that thing. The shrimper is too large and at the distance it's at... that's too much in fuel on the delivery.

Anyway, it is most definitely a shoestring budget we're on, but I'm not afraid of work. It did wonders for our current boat and we all know... when you buy a boat, you have to get the systems how you want them anyway. Might as well start with NO sysystems and go from there.

Again, I don't seem to be able to find a huge commercial listing source. The two you found are on Boats.com, which has a few commercial vessels but not enough. I wonder where all the almost half-dead hulls go off to?

As a side note, I'm getting cold feet on this boat. Why? Not because of the boat itself, but because ours isn't sold yet. We have limited cash on hand until the current boat sells and I worry about the cost of repowering when some of that budget comes from the eventual sale of the Gulfstar. So... I may have to sit back and keep looking at listing like this one, which still makes this a productive and extremely useful thread. I'll be getting some rusting hulk like this one, but this one ends (it's an auction) on Wed. Might be too quick for our time frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan
Sean,

If you don't mind telling us, what is your budget for the project? i.e. both up front cost (survey + purchase + delivery) and refit cost.

I had a quick look around and saw plenty of commercial boats in the 40' - 70' range that while not exactly pretty, were actually funtional boats... sure they probably all needed work, but they did all have engines, gensets, radio, etc already installed and in almost all cases, not just installed but working.

For example: 45' trawler, ready to go, $30,000?
Powerboats - 1981 45' ft Custom Trawler - Trawler - NC - UsedBoats.com

Or this: 72' Shrimp trawler, ready to go, $20,000?
Commercial Boats - 1969 72' ft Shrimp trawler - Dragger - Savannah, GA, 31410 - UsedBoats.com

I just think that it will be difficult to take a hull, even a hull that is essentially free and make a functioning working live-aboard boat for less than that sort of money... (you will, no doubt, go on to prove me wrong, heh)
Old 26-07-2007, 15:38   #43

Aloha Sean,
If you've considered steam then you've probably consider a diesel fired steam boiler? (going back to my early destroyer days)
JohnL
Old 26-07-2007, 22:25   #44

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Check out the military DRMO disposal sites. There's one near you at the Portsmouth (NH) Naval Junkyard...er, I mean Shipyard. Can't tell you how much neat stuff I've seen pass through those facilities... surplus gear often available at pennies on the dollar.

For example, this fine 50ft craft, also in VA near your commercial boat, has a current bid of $932 - and it still has a big 'ol GM 6-71 down below. She's a project.... but hey - that's what you're looking for! http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucindx/
PG-226 CATHODIC WORK BOAT This one is on the GSA Auctions website... along with a couple of YTB's - the big tug boats.

Beats Yachworld every day for me
Old 26-07-2007, 22:29   #45

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Hey Sean - isn't this your boat? It's also on the GSA website.

PG-227 PERSONNEL CARRIER BOAT