Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2006, 08:24   #1

Boat: Bayliner 2556
Professional Mariner charger. Manual needed

OK, I've inherited a clean looking Prof.Mariner "Newpro 20/35) automatic battery charger. I need the instructions. It appears that it has a post for 20 amps of 12 volts (house?) and two banks which are for charging? The question is, which is which? I don't want to boil my batteries away hooking to the wrong lugs. It appears to be a 1990 vintage charger. Thanks in advance. Craig
Craig Harlamoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 09:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Professional Mariner
Troubleshooting Chargers: http://www.promariner.com/troubleshooting_chargers.php
Literature Downloads: http://www.promariner.com/sellsheet.php

Professional Mariner, LLC
PO Box 968, Rye, NH 03870
Tel: (603) 433-4440
Fax: (603) 433-4442
Web: http://www.promariner.com/products.php

Factory Service Center ~ Professional Mariner, LLC
200 International Dr. #195, Portsmouth, NH 03801
Tel: 1-800-824-0524
Fax: (603) 433-4442

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 21:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
It is amazing what a few simple queries on a computer can turn up ehh Gord. Not to diminish your expertise in doing that, you ARE the acknowledged expert!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 15:01   #4

Boat: Bayliner 2556
Pro Mariner

I spoke to the ProMariner tech and he said it's just a 3 bank, unregulated charger. He offered a trade in allowance. I beleive this charger will boil the battery away if unattended.

Craig
Craig Harlamoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 15:07   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I believe this charger will boil the battery away if unattended.
Yes it will.

Nice of them to do a trade in for you. How about a 30 amp charger with 2 or 3 banks and a smart charger. That would put you middle of the road and in good shape. The 30 amps is the AC side and matches a common 30 amp plug in. Be nice if you added A/C.

As a general rule don't leave the boat plugged in all the time. Being plugged in sets you up for all sorts of problems even with a good charger.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 10:13   #6

Boat: PT-38 Taiwan trawler - "Raincoast Gypsy"
HI Craig,

Did you have any luck getting a manual for your NewPro 20/35? I went to the ProMarine site as suggested in the correspondence, but couldn't find anything. And, like you, I have a unit that I need to understand.

Rick Hudson
Vancouver island, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Harlamoff View Post
OK, I've inherited a clean looking Prof.Mariner "Newpro 20/35) automatic battery charger. I need the instructions. It appears that it has a post for 20 amps of 12 volts (house?) and two banks which are for charging? The question is, which is which? I don't want to boil my batteries away hooking to the wrong lugs. It appears to be a 1990 vintage charger. Thanks in advance. Craig
rockhoundvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 07:33   #7

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhoundvi View Post
HI Craig,

Did you have any luck getting a manual for your NewPro 20/35? I went to the ProMarine site as suggested in the correspondence, but couldn't find anything. And, like you, I have a unit that I need to understand.

Rick Hudson
Vancouver island, BC
Rick,

How about upgrading to something like an Iota charger? They're rugged, and relatively inexpensive. They're not multi-bank capable, but you can add something like a Blue Seas auto charge relay (~$75) to accomplish the same thing... I've got two DLS-75/IQ4's, and they work great. And they're RF quiet, so no interfering with your SSB...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 08:37   #8

Batt chargers

Hi Cap'n John,

Thanks for your suggestion. I took a look at the DLS-55 - you're right, it'd be cheaper, but not the same. Not counting the need for an ACR, they are only 2-stage chargers, and they have to be manually changed from stage 1 to 2. Given that it'll be mounted in the engine room, I like the thought of a Xantrex or similar that'll take the batteries through their cycle without me having to remember when to switch over from rapid charge to float.

Anyway, reading down through the correspondence on the site, I note that the ProMariner I currently own is a pretty old piece of tech, and it makes sense to upgrade, especially as I've just installed 2 new 4-D batteries, that deserve to be looked after.

Regards,
Rick
Old 27-08-2008, 08:51   #9
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
I have both a ProMariner Sport 20 dual bank charger and an Iota DLS55 w/IQ4 and both are great chargers. The ProMariner will startup in equalization mode everytime you turn it on so you have to be a little careful in using it. The Iota will equalize after something like 7 days.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 09:20   #10

Chargers

Hi kb,

The ProSport 20 that you have is, alas, not the same as the ProMariner NewPro 20/35. The latter is solid state, but dates back, I suspect, to the mid-80s, when batteries were REAL batteries, and chargers were the same. I don't have a manual for the NewPro 20/35 (that's what started me on this site - someone else was looking for a manual too) but I suspect the unit is pretty basic, and needs to be upgraded.

But I'd like to track down a copy of the 20/35 manual anyway. It's not on ProMariner's site.
Rick
Old 27-08-2008, 12:18   #11

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhoundvi View Post
I took a look at the DLS-55 - you're right, it'd be cheaper, but not the same. Not counting the need for an ACR, they are only 2-stage chargers, and they have to be manually changed from stage 1 to 2.
There are two types of models from Iota. The basic DLS-nn is really a power supply, with the capability to be manually switched between 13.6Vdc nominal and 14.2Vdc by inserting an RJ-11 jack into a plug. You can get the optional IQ4 smart charger adapter that turns it into a modern 3-stage charger. Or you can just get it with the IQ4 built-in. The additional cost is only around $25 or so.

I was initially concerned about using them with my AGMs, but after monitoring the battery temperature via my Magnum inverter/charger's battery temp sensor, I've been able to bulk charge my 800Ah bank at about 160 amps with very little rise above ambient temperature. Since everything is still new, I haven't discharged the bank to less than 80%, so I don't have data yet if I throw everything at it (two DLS-75's, one Magnum MS2800 @ 125A, and the Balmar 190A for good measure!). I got the DLS-75/IQ4's about $390 each. Lot's of bang for the buck.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 13:33   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Professional Mariner Battery Chargers:
ProMariner :: Products :: 1 Battery Chargers

Click on your product, then follow the links to Downloads, where you’ll find Manuals & Wiring Diagrams.

ie:
ProSport Manual:
Products :: Battery Chargers :: ProSport 20

ProSport Generation 2 Manual:
Products :: Battery Chargers :: ProSport 20 Gen 2

ProSport 20 Plus Manual:

Products :: Battery Chargers :: ProSport 20 Plus

ProSport 20 Generation 2 Manual:
Products :: Battery Chargers :: ProSport 20 Plus Gen 2

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 13:38   #13
Eternal Member

Rick (rockhoundvi Rick):

The Iota chargers are about the best buy for the money today. Their use of pulse-width modulation (PWM) charging is both efficient and reduces/eliminates the need for periodic equalization.

I have two of them...one at home and one on the boat...and have installed others. For my money, the Iotas with either internal or external IQ-4 smart-charge options just can't be beat!

Bill

By the way, the ProMariner chargers are among the dirtiest I've ever seen in terms of RFI.
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 19:04   #14

Boat: Fantasia 35
I owned a NewPro 20/35 power supply/charger back it the late '70s when they were the hottest thing on the block. They are built around a constant voltage "ferro-resonant" transformer. There claim to fame is that they will provide 13.8 volts from 0 to 35 amps. There main drawback is that because they can only charge at 13.8 volts it takes a lot longer to charge the battery.

I used mine for maybe 20 of the 30 years I've own this boat. The batteries were replace three times during those 20 or so years

For the last 10 or so years I have charged the batteries using either the engine or solar power. I still have a ProMainer 40/60 that I use as a power supply when shore power is available.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manuals