Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 07:53   #1

Boat: 1959 British Columbian Troller, 30' LOA, M/V "Puff"
Repower Advice

Ok, I've posted this ALL over the place and I'm getting some good information ... but I've always been a fan of this forum and what you guys think ...

SO ... I just bought a 63 Trojan 3100. I know that it's last engine was a Ford Interceptor 302 and its original equipment was some sort of big block v8 but i have no idea what. Somewhere along the way, that engine was pulled and now there's nothing there. In cleaning the bilge I also removed the BW Direct Drive Tranny and I'm not sure what kind of shape it's in other than the fact that it DOES spin.

Anyway, here's the question: I have two options for my repower and I'd like your guys' thoughts on them.

A) I have a running, functional Isuzu C240 that puts out 60hp on her best day with a 2:1 transmission. This engine runs great and could easily be bolted in and I'm off and running. While I wouldn't be planing my estimations are that the boat would do around 10kts at WOT while using 1gph.

B) I have a line on a GM Chris Craft 350 for $1000 but I don't know how it runs (but it DOES run) or the hours or how long it will last, etc. etc. I think there's enough power it in to get the boat up on plane while burning around 10gph. I could also probably find a 454 Crusader engine for it.

The boat will be mainly used for living aboard with some short crab and fishing runs. Long range cruising will be a rarity.

If you were in my situation, what would you do?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:35   #2

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad
Thumbs up Re: Repower Advice

i'd vote for plan A...10 kts isn't bad (think of your repower boat as a trawler), 1 gph is great and it doesnt sound like you're going on any world cruise...p.s. i'd run the little deisel at abot 80% wot so as not to stress the little bugger...good luck..
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:45   #3

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: Repower Advice

I think you're being optimistic with the Isuzu. Diesel engines consume about 1 gallon per hour for every 18 hp used.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:26   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
I think you're being optimistic with the Isuzu. Diesel engines consume about 1 gallon per hour for every 18 hp used.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Agree. I think you should at least double your estimated fuel consumption up to about 80-90% of hull speed. If you try to get 10 kts you would be pushing max hull speed and I would triple that or more.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 14:25   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

10 kts is probably on the hump part of the curve. Lots of torque required as the boat tries to climb over its bow wave to get up on plane. Your Isuzu probably doesn't have enough torque to get over the hump, so it won't plane.

But slow down to about 7 kts and you might get by with 1 gallon per hour.

10 gph for the Crusader gasser cruising at about 15 kts sounds about right.
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 16:08   #6

If you decide to sell the Isuzu, send me a PM with info. I am looking for a diesel for my sailboat, with at least 60hp.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower