Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2010, 10:41   #16
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by svjobeth View Post
I'm not sure what, if any, marinas are available on that stretch of the river.
I have not done the Savannah River, but when I researched it, I didn't find ANY marinas between Savannah and Augusta. So, it's about 200 miles upstream. Make sure you have the range.

Your comments about Savannah reminded me to say this about the Augusta marina. It's slips are almost perpendicular to the current. Finger docks with a finger on one side of the slip. So people covet the slips where the finger is on the downstream side. I'd think the upstream side ones would be rather difficult to get into singlehanded. Probably not too easy even with help.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 05:51   #17

Boat: 2004 Scout Bay 220
I actually live in Augusta and have done that trip in my center console a couple times.

The river is alot of sandbars and alligators. I can't imagine it being too much of a trip on a slow cruise. I like the nature part of the experience, but that's all there is to it. Once you get about 15 miles above Savannah there is maybe a few dozen houses, and a bunch of swamp/forest land for the next 150 miles. Then you'll start getting to the industrial area/nuclear plant southeast of Augusta.

The lock is just past all of this. The are pretty sketchy. The local govt and corps of engineers are always going back and forth as to who is going to maintain/repair them.

If it was me, I'd stay on the ICW and go enjoy the SC lowcountry just north of Savannah.
drumbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:07   #18

Boat: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by micksbuddy View Post
I've stopped at the city docks by Riverwalk in Savannah a few times, and liked it a lot. It's a nicely restored historic district and the rest of the historic downtown neighborhoods are easy walking distance. The city runs the docks, which are floating and have a couple of water faucets and 15amp(household) electric outlets on each one. When I passed through between '05-'07, the charge was $1/ft per night.
Friends docked there recently and had a problem with a city police officer telling them they weren't supposed to be there even though they had paid.

Anyway, there's a privately run dock jus up or downstream from the city dock:

River Street Market Place: Dock

That costs a little more but it has an on-site dockmaster and they take reservations. His name is "Chaz". I was scheduled to make a trip there but because of a medical issue and excessive heat that week, I had to cancel.