Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 08:28   #1

Boat: Regal 2665 - Swept Away
Savannah River

Has anyone cruised on the Savannah River from the Hartwell Lake area in NE Georgia down to Savannah? Is the river navigable down to the Savannah area? Also any ideas on where to get charts for the River's inland areas?
Future Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 12:55   #2

Boat: 1986 Chaparral 287XL
I would be interested in this too. We did the Chattahoochee to the ocean last year and it was great. Check out my website for the trip down the "Hooch". I would like to take the trip down the Savannah and do some offshore fishing

Does Hartwell have a lock? If not you could probably put in around Augusta
eddiej82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 18:15   #3

I was actually thinking about coming up from Florida on the boat.
Where did you start your Chattahoochee cruise?
Old 06-02-2010, 15:19   #4

No Marinas???

I've been trying to find a jumping-off point to trailor-sailor around Savannah but the closest marina is in Thunderbolt. No marinas around the historic district-???!!!

Seems like they would have a city dock or something.

Any info on this?
angelgal918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 16:37   #5

you have to start in Augusta. There are no locks north of there.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 16:58   #6

Boat: PEARSON 422
There are docks to tie up to on the Savannah River at Riverwalk. I was there this past summer and noticed that in addition to dockage for all the commercial riverboats that there were a couple private sailboats tied up, in front of the Savannah Cotton Exchange, for the couple days we were there. Not sure who manages the transient dockage but there does seem to be some available.
Old 17-03-2010, 16:32   #7

Boat: Mainship 34, Flying Scot
I've stopped at the city docks by Riverwalk in Savannah a few times, and liked it a lot. It's a nicely restored historic district and the rest of the historic downtown neighborhoods are easy walking distance. The city runs the docks, which are floating and have a couple of water faucets and 15amp(household) electric outlets on each one. When I passed through between '05-'07, the charge was $1/ft per night.
micksbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 18:11   #8

EddieJ 82,
When you did the "Hooch" where did you start? Could I cruise south from Lake Lanier all the way to the gulf?
Old 19-03-2010, 15:59   #9
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
"Hooch"

I don't know about the southern part, but Lanier doesn't have a lock. Most of the hooch is so shallow I have even scrapped bottom in a canoe. There are a few portions I have run in my 16' center console in Atlanta, but only a mile or two in either direction. Lake West Point doesn't have a lock. And the lake south of there (name?) also doesn't have a lock.

So, basically, no, the hooch is not navigable from at least Columbus to anywhere north. Not sure about south of there.

Savannah River.

It is navigable to Augusta. But depending on your draft, you may have to pick the season. I only draw 3', but was advised to avoid Winter and the end of Summer. Call and check to make sure the lock is open (about 2/3 the way up from Savannah). The Augusta City Marina looks OK. Used to be a really bad part of town. It's been cleaned up, but there are still some questionable looking people walking around. I would not feel comfortable walking to town after dark.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 18:14   #10

Thanks for the feedback.

I am in the process of moving from Central FL to northeast of Atlanta, (new job). I will be living about 1-1.5 hours south of Lake Lanier & about the same to Lake Hartwell.

I am trying to decide what to do with my boat. I like to cruise longer distances and am concerned about being "landlocked" in a lake. That said, Lake Lanier and Lake Hartwell look to be larger lakes. I am also considering a marina in Chattanooga, TN on the Tennessee River. I am hoping to be able to do some long cruises a year.

Any thoughts from the GA cruisers?
Old 20-03-2010, 15:27   #11
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Vision View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I am in the process of moving from Central FL to northeast of Atlanta, (new job). I will be living about 1-1.5 hours south of Lake Lanier & about the same to Lake Hartwell.

I am trying to decide what to do with my boat. I like to cruise longer distances and am concerned about being "landlocked" in a lake. That said, Lake Lanier and Lake Hartwell look to be larger lakes. I am also considering a marina in Chattanooga, TN on the Tennessee River. I am hoping to be able to do some long cruises a year.

Hartwell and Lanier will both have you landlocked. Hartwell is quieter and bigger, but there's less there. If you like going to restaurants by boat, there's not much on Hartwell. Lanier has a lot more traffic on it. It can get downright hairy on busy weekends. But either lake is fine for weekends and bumming around. Just some trade-offs.

Putting your boat on the Tennessee will give you more variety and more range. Lots to do and see. But just keep in mind, there is no quick way to get to the Tennessee River from North-East Ga. It's either back roads, or go to Atlanta to go back north. So your drive may be long. Probably too far to go to the boat on a weekday night.

This is the same decision I am making. My boat is in Charleston. I could either take it to Chattanooga (1.75 hours from my house) or to Lake Allatoona (less than a half hour). I decided to take it to the lake so I can go to the boat anytime I want. But Chattanooga is tempting.

If you decide the Tennessee is what you want, check out Hale's Bar Marina.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 18:04   #12

Boat: Catalina 30
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

I have my boat on the Tn River 10 mi E of Chattanooga. I plan to travel
the Tn river and Tenn Tom Bigbee river system down to Mobile, Al. this
May and on over to Ft Walton Beach, Fl. for a month or so, then back
up the river to Chattanooga. It is a beautiful, relaxing trip lots to do and
lots of places to stop and enjoy. My marina is Harbor lights marina and the cost is $150.00 per month, including water and WIFI. Very nice people, great community, good fishing, great parties.
Gailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 19:34   #13

Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Yes, Hartwell and Lanier will landlock you. As dacust said, Hartwell is bigger and quieter, with fewer amenities. In my experience, Lanier can get beyond 'hairy' on busy weekends, it can be downright dangerous.

You can navigate the Savannah River from Augusta to Savannah, but as has been pointed out, you will need to pay attention to depths. I'm not sure what, if any, marinas are available on that stretch of the river. I'm sorry, but I didn't see what type of boat you have.

Savannah is most certainly quaint and pretty, but it's also a very busy commercial port. I live here and can't be encouraging about using the city docks on the Savannah River. It's several miles west of the ICW, or roughly 12 miles from offshore; the currents are swift; and traffic is heavy, with large ships, tugs, barges, and dredges moving at all hours. With the wakes and such, it can be downright rough. Except for the historic district, the shoreline is dotted with refineries, LNG, oil, and gas terminals, etc. Also, Savannah proper sits on a bluff, some 20' or so above the river. Except for the city docks, and those at the Westin hotel and convention center on the north bank, there are no facilities for small boats; it's all bulkhead or rip-rap. Even on the city docks, larger boats do better, IMHO. For anything under 65' it can be a bit dicey.

Most of the yacht/recreational boat marinas are in Thunderbolt on the ICW; there's also a marina on Isle of Hope, just southeast of Savannah on the ICW/Skidaway River. Bus and taxi services are available into town from both. Isle of Hope has a 'loaner' car available.
svjobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 19:47   #14

Thanks for the feedback and information. Now I need to decide where to dock my boat.

Boat safe my friends,

Rob
Old 21-03-2010, 04:07   #15

Boat: 1986 Chaparral 287XL
Quote:
EddieJ 82,
When you did the "Hooch" where did you start? Could I cruise south from Lake Lanier all the way to the gulf?
As mentioned West point and Lanier do not have locks and both lakes have major shoaling below them

I have friends that have done this trip from Columbus in a pontoon boat and a ski boat, but the pontoon boat has a 1 1/2' draft and the ski boat not much more. The water level can be kinda dicey between there and Eufaula.

We put in in Eufaula and I didn't see anything under 5' on my dept finder all the way to Apalachicola. We past a much larger boat around Seminole that had to have at least a 5' draft if not a little more.

With all of the frequent heavy flooding, we have had a lot of sand shifting around in the river here in Franklin at the mouth of West Point so I don't know what down river is going to look this year but we are planning to go down it later this spring so I could let you know if you are interested.

I chronicled the trip with pictures on my website fairly well from start to finish....check it out in my signature

I'm interested in seeing a blog like mine on the Savannah river if anyone knows about one...Please post it.
eddiej82 is offline   Reply With Quote