Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2015, 01:33   #1

Boat: Seahorse 52
SEAHORSE 52 Pilothouse Trawler

Hi All

I am new to this forum and new to the trawler scene.

Anybody out there own a Seahorse 52 and have things to say about them, good or bad?

I am looking at buying one for extended coastal cruising (and some blue water) and I note it isn't a common brand of trawler, with only somewhere between 30 and 40 launched to-date.

Any input is welcome

Many thanks
mdgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 05:57   #2

Re: SEAHORSE 52 Pilothouse Trawler

462 Seahorse Diesel Duck

Looking at the dieselducks.com website, they do not list the 52 as being made in China, but then George is not too good at keeping his website up to date. But I think you will find enough info there to make a decision.

He has had plans for a 55 listed for some time Stock Plans (scroll almost all the way to the botttom of the page - rerrrible website to navigate) and the smaller boats seem to sell well, so it would be logical for the Chinese yard to move up in size to a more profitable size.
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 07:04   #3

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

A friend of mine owns a Seahorse 52. He really wanted a Diesel Duck, but settled for the Seahorse because used ducks don't come on the market very frequently and he got a good deal on a used Seahorse. He likes it, but still yearns for a Duck because he likes the security of the steel hull a Duck has.

There is a lot to maintain on one of these beasts. Twin engines are tempting, but squeezing two engines in that beam is VERY cramped. My friend's had a single engine with gobs of fuel storage and a fantastic engine room that was easy to move around in.

I really liked it. Very easy to handle single-handed - especially if you install controls at the sides or a remote of some kind.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 19:39   #4

I commissioned a Duck and have a friend with a 52 that is in fact now for sale in Malaysia

PM me and I will put you in touch with the original and current 52 owner. As I understand both Owners he loved the boat. Not a Duck but good for its intended purpose.
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trawler