Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2014, 12:18   #31

Boat: Various
Re: Searay or Cruisers boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsContent View Post
My perception of Searay, is that they are owned by clueless people that run down the ICW tossing huge wakes weaving through traffic, with no consideration for others. It's like watching a moron in rush hour traffic willing to risk everyones life just to get a car length.

You see Searays at the dock, restaurant dock and the local weekend islands/sandbars, not out cruising. I did see one at Pelican Bay ... tied to the dock for a day trip!

Please look for a nice trawler that will serve your mission.
Well, that's not at all my impression. I see them as very solid lake boats. Then as to their cruisers, they've enabled more people to get into cruising than any other brand by far. A good boat for the price and quite adequate for most coastal cruisers. A lot of families on Sea Rays. Younger demographics than trawlers. No, they don't take long cruises because most of the owners are still working. It's their place to go on weekends and vacation. They do what they do as well as any brand. The only issue is when one wants them to be something they just are not. If I was living in Chattanooga on the Tennessee River and just the two of us cruising, I might have a Sea Ray.

We absolutely loved our Cobalt and it's a great boat. But we didn't bring it to Florida with us, sold it instead. 30 foot bowrider gasoline powered 50+ knots, twin gasoline engines, not fresh water cooled. Great boat. Not great for my purposes today.

That's how it is with boats. There are very few truly bad boat builders. But all boats are good primarily at what they're designed for.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 14:14   #32

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsContent View Post

You see Searays at the dock, restaurant dock and the local weekend islands/sandbars, not out cruising. I did see one at Pelican Bay ... tied to the dock for a day trip!

That's maybe influenced by the operator's definition of "cruising."

We have Sea Rays around here by the gazillions. Mostly express cruisers (usually Sundancer models), but also boatloads of sedan bridge boats. Mostly from 32' to 50' but also with a few examples plus or minus that.

It's common for folks to run from Annapolis to Solomons Island (approx. 50 NMs), or from Solomons to St. Michaels (60 NMs, I think), or from here to Baltimore (~35 NMs) for a weekend... for examples... and that fits one version of "cruising" reasonably well. Or similar trips to various anchorages, which are pretty much every where you look on the Chesapeake. The Sea Rays (and similar brands) seem to suit this type of usage, which is probably often time-constrained.

-Chris
Old 19-05-2014, 23:02   #33

Tuffr

Two points mentioned in the variety of responses to your question need more emphasis. If you are new to larger boats and cruising, you should invest some time in boating education. The US Power Squadrons and US Coast Guard Auxillary offer a myriad of boating courses ranging from piloting, navigation, seamanship, weather, communications, electrical and engine maintenance. An added benefit is being in a class with other boaters with a variety of experience and skills to share information with. Completion of some of these courses will increase both your competence and confidence level once you leave the dock. If your wife will attend the classes with you, all the better.
The second point is look into a charter to help you decide what type and brand of boat you and your wife prefer.

Wishing you fair winds and calm seas in your new adventure.
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 10:21   #34

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Thanks - I do plan to take several courses. Even a sailing course. I have a lot to learn for sure.

I will charter a few boats also.

Again - thanks for everyone's reply. It is appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 19:57   #35

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'

I will say only that your BEST bet is to, just for the moment, loosen the cruising of the islands idea... just for a little while. This is going to be your first boat and you have a LOT to learn still. However, that said, I would take a close look at both of them, pick your favorite, and buy one! You will then, after a year or two at the helm, know the reality of what your long-term goals of boating will be.

You can learn a lot about boating by reading forums or reading books, but you can NOT learn to be a boater without having a boat. Please don't try to find your last boat now. You still haven't gotten your FIRST boat yet. You can get an older SeaRay or Cruisers for half your budget and learn everything you need to know about that boat, and being a boater, in a couple of years to really give you a vision on the reality of being a REAL boater.

I mean NO disrespect here, but what you dream boating to be... and what boating actually is may be dramatically different. Sure, there are exceptions, but it's a safe bet that the majority of Bahamas cruisers didn't do it in their first boat, or if they did, it wasn't their first boat for long.

I hope this makes sense. I wish for you a long time enjoying boating and hate to see that ruined by a bad experience with the wrong boat in the wrong sea.

Tom-
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 20:28   #36

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
. Sure, there are exceptions, but it's a safe bet that the majority of Bahamas cruisers didn't do it in their first boat, or if they did, it wasn't their first boat for long.
Tom-
We did it on our first ocean going boat (first boat other than on inland lake). Of course we had a captain with 25 years experience with us and in charge. We still haven't done it without a captain with us although now after 6 times doing it we'd feel ok doing it, but we're also licensed captains ourselves now. We have all the skills necessary except in the event of major engine trouble.

I would say too that I think sailboaters might get the courage and experience to do it quicker than powerboaters. Even so, there is so much coastal cruising to enjoy, why push to do it too soon. For the average cruiser, I'd suggest a couple of years experience before crossing to the Bahamas. Any sooner and I'd suggest taking someone with more experience with you.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 17:34   #37

Boat: 2004 Beneteau 473
Send a message via Yahoo to Knucklehead

Hey - have we all forgotten power catamarans?
Excellent fuel usage. Some say that they go to weather better than most.
But, I seriously believe, "when in doubt, don't go out" works great.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:53   #38

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

It looks like you have gotten a plethora of answers and most are covering the mechanics of a planning hull verses a semi or full displacement hull.
You list your wife’s comfort as your first requirement. Does pounding across the waves count in the requirement?
We own a 43' Albin Sundeck Trawler which in my estimation would be a likely choice.
The advantages are numerous but suffice it to say that the wide flared bow will keep spray off of you when there is a chop, unlike a Grand Banks, the large sundeck will provide a nice shaded area for enjoying the atmosphere, the sleeping and living accommodations below decks are excellent, and 43 is not to big to double hand and not too small to have company aboard.
Transitioning from inland to coastal boating to blue water will require some additional skills which as you are looking for your boat you can get some background in. The experience will come with time.
I chartered a trawler before my wife was fully onboard for ownership and it sold her. She has been the one to paint the bottom for the years we've owned ours, that's how much she is onboard and I try to keep it comfortable for her to keep enjoying it. Our 43 does that.
In closing, don't get discouraged by asking prices. If you find a boat you like pay for a walk through survey and you will get a more realistic price.
Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Good luck in your search.

Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 18:57   #39

Next week I will be in Muskegon Mi. which is on Lake Michigan. I plan to look at trawlers while there.

I will take all advice since I am new at bigger boats.

Thanks

Old 12-06-2014, 06:25   #40

So far looking at boats in Muskegon I have been underwhelmed. Lakes Shore Yacht Sales had lots of boats but no salesman to show me boats. All salesman were out for a few days at another location.

I did look at the 3 boats I could get into inside the showroom. One 38 foot 'go fast', one 40' Searay Express Cruiser, and one smaller 34' Express Cruiser.

The salesman should be back today. There is one 50' Searay Express Cruiser on dry dock that probably will cost too much to buy and to run.

But so far...all in all, I am underwhelmed.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:40   #41

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
One boat that has peeked my interest is a 2003(ish) Cruisers 3750 Motoryacht.
I was a paid Captain on a CY Express 4450 on San Francisco Bay for about a year... Same style as the 3750

The owner didn't mind the fuel bill, so we went most everywhere at full speed. It was fully loaded with twin Volvos. I can't remember the exact fuel consumption, but it was not very good. On the other hand the boat was very comfortable and reliable.

The times we were cruising in economy mode (10 knots) the boat was a little light and top heavy for me.

I don't think I would want to take the boat off shore for any length of time.

When I was cruising fulltime, I never saw a planning powerboat cruising. It was almost exclusively trawlers, especially under 50 feet. This was part due to the fuel consumption, but also for a easier ride.

I am now in the process of selling my sailboat and will be going to the dark side....

Like you I am looking for something to get me to the Bahamas, but also want to cruise the ICW.

In my opinion a nice Trawler in the 35-40 range is a good thought, especially using the $100k mark.

The Albin Trawlers are popular in Florida and would probably suit your needs.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:06   #42

There is an Albin Trawler here that I am trying to see.

It is in my price range but seems to have an old look to it. My wife probably will not like it...ugh

Old 12-06-2014, 10:01   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

There is a really nice Endeavour Trawler Cat for sale in Stuart Florida that may be worth looking at. Lots of space, cheap to run, and looks well maintained.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 14:10   #44

jeremiason - Wow, to me that CY 4450 is an extremely nice boat - what a gig that must have been. As much as I would have liked to hear cruisers, go fast, and even pocket cruiser boat would be good I am seeing the downside to these boats. Plus no-one has recommended these types of boats for cruising Bahamas/Caribbean.

Can you tell me why you are moving from a sailboat as they are still on my list of a possible boat?

Thanks

Old 12-06-2014, 14:54   #45

Boat: sabre 28

We had a 29' Cruisers Sea Devil. We beat the snot out of the thing offshore fishing & it took everything we & the ocean could throw at it. We weren't meek about it.
The 38 you're looking at, nice boat but it will be expensive to run...
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser