Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2016, 08:04   #16

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Seeking boat, but which style/make??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobopacket View Post
So just putting it out there. There are days when the run to Bimini is dead calm I mean skip a rock calm. Jet skis do it often in summer months.

I will be taking my 25' wellcraft over.
That is true, just don't underestimate it. If you're not prepared for the worst you're not prepared. 2 boys learned that the hard way last year.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 08:45   #17

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Not to muddy the water but have you considered a trawler? Take a look at larger Ranger Tugs. I kinda want to do the same kinda things you want to do and the Ranger Tug as well as the Regal pocket cruisers are boats I am considering.

I want to get the boat out of the water when not in use. Clean it and store it on the hard covered as much as possible. I have a diesel truck so my mind set is towable. I would tow the boat to the Keys for example or Fort Pierce on occasion.

I too would like to fish a few miles out and in occasion get to the edge. I would take my buddies out to fish.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 09:18   #18

tuff,
Yeah, I'm looking at the links provided by the other posters now, going through some of the Mainstream trawlers. They look pretty well suited for what I think I might be looking for. Lots more to look at, of course, but this is a great start. I'll look for some of the ones you mentioned as well.

I've also considered the idea of trailering the one I get as well. I like the idea of having it out of the saltwater as much as possible, and being in Orlando, I could easily get it over from the Atlantic to the Gulf side, and also down to the Keys for a week or so when the urge hits. All depends on the size I end up going with, obviously. Like you, the truck/power to tow isn't an issue for me either. Ugh...so many options to consider! A good problem, though, I suppose. ;-)
wakeboarder72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 09:45   #19

tuffr2,
When you mention 'pocket cruiser', are you referring to the Regal Express Cruisers?

Thanks,
William
Old 21-12-2016, 09:50   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboarder72 View Post
Wow guys, what awesome input. Sorry, the site didn't give me any more notifications that there were replies - just read through them all now.

I appreciate all the insight, suggestions, and links. I will take them all into consideration.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! ;-)

William
FYI:

It is simple to subscribe to a thread on CF, you simply use the drop down Thread Tools menu or simply post a comment (even a simple "I like this" will do) in the thread and you will be automatically subscribed.

Be aware that also means you will be notified each time a post is made in the thread. That can be annoying if it is a hot topic. The notifications may be delayed for hours or a day (I don't know why).

You can choose how often you want to receive email notices about new posts in the thread or you can choose to not receive any email notification at all.

You can change those Email notification settings by using the "Go Advanced" option when posting a comment. When you choose that, look at the bottom of the dialog box for "ADDITIONAL OPTIONS/Thread Subscription/Notifications" drop down menu. From that select the frequency of notification for THAT thread.

I subscribe to MANY threads, but usually choose the option for "weekly" notifications of new posts for special threads I want to monitor.

I think subscribing is a good thing to do, if you want to see new posts on a topic of special interest, especially if you are an infrequent visitor to CF and most especially if you are looking for a particular type of boat and want to see the "sale listing" notifications ASAP.

I also use my CF Control Panel to quickly see which of my subscribed threads has had recent activity, and then surf to it from there.

Enjoy your time in the forum.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 11:26   #21

wakeborder - what a call a pocket cruiser is the smaller 26' - 28' Regal, Searay, Rinker, Glastron etc that can be towed w/o special permits. Regal Windows Express is the top of my list in this category.

I am thinking the Ranger Tug 29 if I go that route. I am in Palm Coast so I would have easy access to the ICW.

Obviously the beam is the issue if you want to trailer. 8.5' as a max.

I would prefer one engine and get this...I like outboard power. Ranger Tug makes an outboard powered model but I have not phyically seen it yet.

Lol...being in Orlando you need a bass boat to fish and a pontoon boat to relax.
Old 21-12-2016, 14:23   #22

Thanks tuffr2, I'll look into those makes you mentioned. I appreciate it... ;-)
Old 29-12-2016, 05:03   #23

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
You might have a glance at some of the Tiara express models; I think many of those can be (or have been) rigged for fishing. Lots more sportfish and convertible brands, although that market has fallen off a bit in the "affordable" range, and depending on whether you want to go that route.

When I said Tiara, I was really thinking about Pursuit... a sister brand with models aimed at the fishing market.

A couple more that come to mind just now are Albemarle and Carolina Classic...

-Chris
Old 29-12-2016, 07:25   #24

Boat: Scout 30

RF-246 | Rosborough Boats USA
Eastern
Seaway
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 07:59   #25

ranger and scout,
Thanks, guys, for the additional. Ranger, I did look at all the models mentioned thus far in the thread - several that look like they'd fit the bill. Not many of the used Tiaras for sale on bt, that I was able to find.

I'll check out the Pursuit and others that you two put out there.

Went to a dealership here in Orlando yesterday, to start seeing a few in person.

Thanks again,
William
Old 29-12-2016, 18:46   #26

Oh my gosh, there are SOOOO many boats and options to consider/go through/think about....just spent ANOTHER 4 hours surfing the bt site looking at just TWO of the models (Amberjack and Sundancer)

Can I ask one more question of you guys, please? Most of the ones I'm looking at/considering are probably going to be around 2006-2008 models. Are there things that would be 'normally' coming up for replacement/repair at about the 10-year mark (major stuff, not small items), or is all just too dependent on how the previous owner took care of it. I'm thinking like here in Florida, the roof on a house has probably run its course by about the 15-year mark, the a/c unit after xx years, etc. So, just wondering if there are items on these age boats (~ 10 or so years) that I should not be alarmed about if whoever I have that checks out the boat says that it/they need to be replaced/repaired. Make sense?

Thanks again, all.....I appreciate it....back to the listings again.... ;-)

William
Old 29-12-2016, 18:58   #27

I am worried about water intrusion into the engine cylinder. That is more common than I first thought.
about a month ago a marine surveyor posted picks of spark plugs from a Volvo I/O of a late 2000's boat. There was water intrusion into the engine. So I googled 'Marine engine water intrusion'...yikes...scary stuff.

So that is one thing I would look for.
Old 29-12-2016, 19:23   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am worried about water intrusion into the engine cylinder. That is more common than I first thought.
about a month ago a marine surveyor posted picks of spark plugs from a Volvo I/O of a late 2000's boat. There was water intrusion into the engine. So I googled 'Marine engine water intrusion'...yikes...scary stuff.

So that is one thing I would look for.

Gotcha, I'll keep that on the list of things. Thanks
Old 30-12-2016, 04:01   #29

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboarder72 View Post
...just spent ANOTHER 4 hours surfing the bt site looking at just TWO of the models (Amberjack and Sundancer)

Can I ask one more question of you guys, please? Most of the ones I'm looking at/considering are probably going to be around 2006-2008 models. Are there things that would be 'normally' coming up for replacement/repair at about the 10-year mark (major stuff, not small items), or is all just too dependent on how the previous owner took care of it.

Sundancers not so great for fishing -- hard to mount rod holders and such -- although they can maybe meet your needs otherwise. Seems to me SeaRay's Amberjack models, IIRC, were intended to provide fishing possibilities... Didn't know they were made into the 2000s...

Yes, lots is dependent on previous owner maintenance, but I'm told one major deal with gas engines is manifold/riser/elbow replacement... in salt water... every 5 years (7 max). Depends on engine model whether all three need replacement, but the short story is they're cast iron parts, there's salt water flowing through as part of the cooling system, and rot can happen from the inside out. Not necessarily visible from the outside. You could ask for service and maintenance records...

-Chris
Old 30-12-2016, 04:29   #30

Be religious about flushing with fresh water and the exhaust system can last far more than 5 years. Every time my boat goes in salt my clean up process is roughly a hour long.

Dip the boat and trailer in fresh water, a boat ramp at a lake on the way home works great. Fire up the engine, have to make sure the engine reaches operating temp and then rinse everything off real well in the drive way. No biggie.

Anyway my point is, on a older used boat that had been in salt, you may have to replace the manifolds, risers, and elbows but with proper care you won't have to worry about it for some time. Now if you keep the boat at the dock in salt, this becomes a bit harder.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote