Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2020, 11:54   #1

Location: Steps from the beach (in my head) in sunny Sahuarita, AZ
Should I avoid this boat?

I have the opportunity to buy a 36’ Grand Banks Trawler at a VERY attractive price. She was surveyed in late 2018 and she’s been docked ever since. (I can post the findings if anyone is willing to take a detailed look and let me know if there’s something particularly scary that I may be overlooking) All the really significant stuff noted on the survey was fixed BUT...
  1. When the bottom was painted, the old paint wasn't removed first. The place that did it specifically noted that this was recommended and declined and "no guarantee on adhesion".
  2. In the 19 months that she’s been docked, there’s been zero maintenance. No bottom scraping, no zinc replacement, nothing.
I would guess it’s somewhat normal for boat owners to not get the old paint removed every single time and for marine companies to always recommend that they do - and include that warning/disclaimer anytime the owner doesn’t want to do that. Am I right? How significant is this? Does item 2 make it more significant? Are the barnacles, algae, and other bottom dwellers more likely to have compromised the paint since it was applied on top of the old paint? Further, how likely is it that the paint has been compromised to the extent that there’s rot damage to the (wooden) hull? And last but not least, what’s the likelihood that the props and shafts have sustained significant damage over 19 months with no zinc? I’m guessing this is an automatic haul-out situation, with paint removal and repainting. (I’m semi-OK with that since I was planning to give her a CopperCoat the next time she’s hauled out - but if I have to do it immediately, it’s definitely a price-negotiation issue.) I’m worried about hull damage, though. And props and shafts. Your advice and expertise will be much appreciated.
Donny Bahama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 12:02   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Should I avoid this boat?

Quite normal to paint on top of the old antifouling paint each year in the UK. So the bottom may or may not need cleaning or repainting, there are two many variables until lifted. What can you see from the waters edge? The lack of antifoul paint won't affect the integrity of the hull.

The lack of zincs may be a problem but until the boat is lifted out you won't know. Zincs should last a year so it could have been only a few months or they may be some zinc left.

Are you getting your own survey? whist the previous may be of interest, it can not be relied upon.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 12:06   #3

I wouldn't worry about those things much. If it's old and a wood hull or deck GB I would look very closely.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 12:40   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Those two thighs are insignificant, especially the bottom paint as it’s only about a two year thing anyway.
Just get a survey. Don’t go off the old one
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 16:12   #5

Your question - Donny Bahama - reveals an inherent red flag.

PAY ATTENTION to what your intuition is telling you.
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 16:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Your question - Donny Bahama - reveals an inherent red flag.

PAY ATTENTION to what your intuition is telling you.
LittleWing77
My intuition is that this is a solid boat. I’ve come to know the seller pretty well and he’s a straight-up, honest, good guy. Any doubts I have are rooted in my lack of knowledge about boats. I’ve only owned one boat prior to this - a 24’ Bristol Corsair that had been lovingly restored by two really good people. The boat was essentially perfect at the time we bought it, so I had no worries whatsoever. THIS boat, though, is a project... and because it’s going to be our new home, I need to make sure I’m not making a huge mistake.
Old 28-06-2020, 16:45   #7

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

You’re good. These are not concerns at all, unless the marina is “hot” or things aren’t properly bonded in the boat.

Bottom paint is nothing. It’s normal maintenance.

Zincs? A little more questionable. If you’re not getting a re purchase survey (you probably should), at least hire a diver or take a swim to look at the prop/shaft/seacocks
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 17:36   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Umm... all those folks who say that there is no worry about inadequate bottom paint are apparently thinking fibreglas hull... and this one is timber. With a timber hull, if the bottom paint is faulty or expired, shipworm can invade and riddle the planks in short order. So, IMO it IS a worry, and a very careful survey of the hull planking is a high priority.

Jim
Old 28-06-2020, 18:06   #9

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

I think it's a fiberglass hull. All the grand banks 36's I see on Yachtworld are fiberglass. The hull has faux planking molded into it.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 18:18   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I think it's a fiberglass hull. All the grand banks 36's I see on Yachtworld are fiberglass. The hull has faux planking molded into it.
You may be right, but I'd have thought the OP could tell the difference between glass with grooves and timber... and I think I remember timber Grand Banks in the distant past. Not too sure, 'cause I don't follow MVs very much.

Perhaps the OP will verify...

Jim
Old 28-06-2020, 18:31   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Ddo not rely on an old survey ......
Look at these examples and you'll see the difference between good and bad surveys.
Sample, Example Marine Survey Report

Do a self inspection before sspending money on a surveyor. Here's how .....
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
Old 28-06-2020, 18:33   #12

Older GB's where in fact built in timber....

1964 Timber https://au.boats.com/power-boats/196...assic-6715371/

1984 Fibreglass https://au.boats.com/power-boats/198...assic-7146329/

https://www.boats.com/reviews/boats/...lity-mystique/

Quote:
American Marine's first-class wood ship-building techniques, materials and engineering minimized the more onerous rot problems often associated with wood boats (although any wood boat is prone to attack by underwater organisms or fungus if neglected long enough). Die-hard Banks owners speak reverently of the solid sound and comfortable feel of older wood GBs compared to newer fiberglass models — not surprisingly, the teak decks were over an inch thick. For first-time buyers, well-cared-for older wood GBs represent a wonderful opportunity to own an exceptional boat at a modest price. Naturally, you'll need a reputable marine surveyor familiar with wooden Grand Banks to evaluate the boat thoroughly before you sign on the dotted line.
....the one 2 berths up from me is a 1965 timber in pristine condition, but for my peace of mind the one in question here (what year?) would need a new, and thorough, out of water hull survey if timber ....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 18:37   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Older GB's where in fact built in timber....

1964 Timber https://au.boats.com/power-boats/196...assic-6715371/

1984 Fibreglass https://au.boats.com/power-boats/198...assic-7146329/

https://www.boats.com/reviews/boats/...lity-mystique/

....the one 2 berths up from me is a 1965 timber in pristine condition, but for my peace of mind the one in question here (what year?) would need a new, and thorough, out of water hull survey if timber....
I stopped ssurveying wooden boats years ago as no one was willing to pay for a proper survey. A 36' wooden boat survey is two full days and includes pulling fasteners and few owners are willing to permit this.
Old 28-06-2020, 18:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I stopped ssurveying wooden boats years ago as no one was willing to pay for a proper survey. A 36' wooden boat survey is two full days and includes pulling fasteners and few owners are willing to permit this.
No argument from me, but if i was ever considering an old timber boat she would be getting a thorough going over

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 19:31   #15

Thanks for all the input everyone. This is an older boat and I did specify in the original post that the hull is wooden...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bahama View Post
Further, how likely is it that the paint has been compromised to the extent that there’s rot damage to the (wooden) hull?

Tags
boat