Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2018, 16:56   #166

Re: Should Large Power Boats be Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Another stab at it - given the choice of:
a) the wealthy have boats of X length, and some people die of treatable illnesses because they can't afford care -or -
b) the wealthy have boats of 0.9 X length, and no one goes without adequate healthcare

... most civilized societies have opted for b.
Well "b" seems like a compassionate choice, but if "adequate" puts you on an 18 month MRI waiting list for a tumor then you might need some money and cross a border to the south. Honestly, your idea seems is sound- just not sure any government can handle it properly.
Old 19-03-2018, 16:58   #167
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud bug View Post
I think that people who feel they know better than others and must control what others do should be banned! FREEDOM from others imposing their thoughts or values on you is what America was founded upon!!!
Hey Buddy, how are you doing, these days?
Old 19-03-2018, 17:01   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
How can you shame someone who just does not care? And how will they even know they are being shamed in the first place. Do you think that anyone cares about what the posters at Cruisers Forum think?
Nobody cares what the posters on cruisersforum think, but they care what voters think.
If you have a politician going on a green "agenda" and he owns this big motor yacht then I guess voters will understand what he really stands for.

Burning fossil fuel and releasing a lot of GHG/CO is like furting in a crowded bus, everybody "enjoys" the smell. So, the same way you do not furt in crowded spaces unless you really need to, the same way you do not burn fuel unless you really need to.
Old 19-03-2018, 17:05   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Well "b" seems like a compassionate choice, but if "adequate" puts you on an 18 month MRI waiting list for a tumor then you might need some money and cross a border to the south. Honestly, your idea seems is sound- just not sure any government can handle it properly.
Well, I guess I don't believe that anyone in Canada, or the other 1st world countries with universal healthcare, has had to wait 18 months for an MRI on a life-threatening tumour. And I've experienced more of the health care system (elderly parents, etc) than I care to.

Not that we couldn't improve on things... but it's still pretty damned good universal health-care. Do you think it's ok for one American to rake in millions, but another can't afford healthcare?
Old 19-03-2018, 17:13   #170

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Some one else will not burn "your" liter. They burn their own. Now if you claim that people are going to burn every last drop of oil in the planet, this is just ridiculous, but even if true, you are delaying the burning of that liter by some time.

This sounds like you think we have an infinite supply! I am curious how that can be?
Old 19-03-2018, 17:18   #171

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
Well, a true displacement trawler in the 40 ft. range doesn't burn any more fuel than a pick up truck, really. .
16mpg?
4miles/litre?
That's some boat you have there.

Ford F-150 MPG - Actual MPG from 7,354 Ford F-150 owners
Old 19-03-2018, 17:23   #172

Quote:
Well, I guess I don't believe that anyone in Canada, or the other 1st world countries with universal healthcare, has had to wait 18 months for an MRI on a life-threatening tumour. And I've experienced more of the health care system (elderly parents, etc) than I care to.

Not that we couldn't improve on things... but it's still pretty damned good universal health-care. Do you think it's ok for one American to rake in millions, but another can't afford healthcare?
Well, my buddy's wife from Vancouver came to Seattle for such an MRI because: 18 months. Conversely, people go north for cheaper prescriptions. Neither place has it completely right yet, I guess.
Old 19-03-2018, 17:45   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
In all the fairness of which drips from your words , would it not be prudent then to include the vessels in profitable business in that full recovery plan? Then of course involve the adjust of the cost of every and all transported products.
Yeah that will solve everything

Personally, I feel that we should all investigate the power of prayer as a substitute to legislation and litigation of issues beyond the control of peons and slaves. Wrap your heads around that.
Oh wait I’m sorry , prayer is banned in some countries , no?
Well you opened the door If 45% of American christians believe the world is going to come to an end within their lifetime, why would they be the least bit concerned about global weather changes?? Wasn't it the high school kids in Florida that said .."thoughts and prayers" don't cut it anymore, do something! Not so sure prayers would accomplish anything.
Old 19-03-2018, 17:47   #174

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Carmakers had to have efficiency and pollution standards forced down their throats by governments. There was no "natural" decrease. Ditto for aircraft.

There's no "sort itself out" either; people fought long and hard, and usually against industry, to get to today's standards.
True. And going back some more, a good example is car seat belts.
Old 19-03-2018, 17:50   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Well, my buddy's wife from Vancouver came to Seattle for such an MRI because: 18 months. Conversely, people go north for cheaper prescriptions. Neither place has it completely right yet, I guess.
Now that's a bit silly unless she had friends she wanted to visit in Seattle. Yes you might go on a waiting list for an MRI in Vancouver but not if it was serious. If you feel you want to get instant service in Vancouver there are several private clinics that will give you next day service for an MRI at much lower rates than you'll ever get South of the border.
Old 19-03-2018, 18:02   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Actually, here in the US the muscle cars of today are vastly improved compared to what they were when conceived in the 1960's.

They have way more horsepower now but are more efficient and clean than when they started out.

They also handle much better and are safer to drive and operate due to advances in suspension, brakes and tires.

Not everyone likes to drive fast cars but that doesn't mean that no one should be able to.

Or does it?
One hurtle Americans have to get over is that they are 5% of the world's population and they use 20% of the world's energy. It's the muscle car mentality and Boatie is right, Jack up the fuel costs and people will change their ways and conserve more...keep the prices super low and all you'll get is same old, same old.
Old 19-03-2018, 18:06   #177

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Wouldn't ban "large" power boats, but would legislate that no boat slip, for non-commercial use, along the east coast from Maine to Florida could be more than 40 feet in length and no wider than 14 feet. Oh, and of course no boat's length on deck could exceed said slip...Rationale: 40 feet is 13 more feet than you need to cross any body of water and my boat will fit easily within these parameters...
Born and raised on the west coast, but have moved to the east coast..so you westerners are on your own now...enjoy..
PS...working on a noise ordinance for our town marina next!
Old 19-03-2018, 18:11   #178

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Is all wealth obscene and are all super yachts ugly? I never knew this...... Or are you OK with pretty super yachts and not-so-obscene wealth? And at what point does ones life earnings and savings become "obscene"? When one has more than you?
YES.... this thread just propagates a politicized anti-wealth agenda which doesn't fit in a polite and neutral Cruising and Sailing forum!
Old 19-03-2018, 18:13   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
One hurtle Americans have to get over is that they are 5% of the world's population and they use 20% of the world's energy. It's the muscle car mentality and Boatie is right, Jack up the fuel costs and people will change their ways and conserve more...keep the prices super low and all you'll get is same old, same old.
Exactly right
If Australia had cheap fuel like the US I'd still be running the old 6 litre jeep and 5.8 litre f100 that I had in the 80s

I'd probably still smoke if ciggies were $2 vs $20 as well ( I stopped at $1.50)
Old 19-03-2018, 18:15   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Wouldn't ban "large" power boats, but would legislate that no boat slip, for non-commercial use, along the east coast from Maine to Florida could be more than 40 feet in length and no wider than 14 feet. Oh, and of course no boat's length on deck could exceed said slip...Rationale: 40 feet is 13 more feet than you need to cross any body of water and my boat will fit easily within these parameters...
Born and raised on the west coast, but have moved to the east coast..so you westerners are on your own now...enjoy..
PS...working on a noise ordinance for our town marina next!
Poorly thought out comment.
Plenty of powerboats in your parameter that average america owns that burn 10x more fuel than us.
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, power boat