Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2018, 04:55   #211

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Re: Should Large Power Boats be Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I suggest you do a little research into how the "war on drugs" has turned out. They tried your approach.

All it did was drive up prices, increase smuggling and in the end make a total mess of things.
Why do you think that I came to the conclusion that nothing is going to be done about climate change?
Old 20-03-2018, 06:08   #212

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Sadly I think you are probably going to be proven correct. Sure they will tinker around the edges with petrol and plastics but its not enough.

Meanwhile those clever Japanese people at Toyota have released the next Miami Vice fuel guzzler built in ..............yep the US, probably the only country with folk who could afford to run such a vessel apart from a few arabs.

Toyota and Lexus announce the production of their*twin V8-powered sport yacht concept - YBW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EDITEDLEX05.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	166715  
Old 20-03-2018, 06:13   #213

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

We must not be fatalists, where is joy? I had to look them up
SkySails GmbHÂ*-Â*Home English SkySails GmbHÂ*-Â*Home

Quote:
SkySails - Windpower next level
Winds at high altitudes provide abundantly more energy than winds at surface level. Thus the use of energy-rich high-altitude winds represents the next generation of wind power. Large and fully automated kites are the key technology through which energy can be generated from high-altitude winds.
Deployment, Computer control in figure eights, Landing. They have designed and engineered all the gear, for freighters and yachts. How it works: Yacht by SkySailsÂ*-Â*System
Old 20-03-2018, 06:31   #214

Here is another! Home
kite-boat.com

Chose your passion - Sail, power, whatever
Hyridize your boat.
Test of the new WingCommander RC full electronic Kite-Control-System. Boat: Airon Marine 42 , Weight: 12tons, Length: 42"(12,5m) , Engine: 2x400 hp, Consumption: 100-120l diesel, Wind: 5-9knt, Kite: 13.5sqm, Boat-Speed 4.5knt
Old 20-03-2018, 06:34   #215

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

Think how many lies we could save and how much fuel and materials we could save if we did away with recreational boating!
Old 20-03-2018, 07:02   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Deep in bed with us? All the same?

Is that code for we don't actually have the capability to invent and manufacture our own stuff so we use yours but reserve the right to sniff at us while doing so?

The US could have been energy independent years ago but chose not to be. Dumb.

Fortunately that has now changed.

Enjoy your new fuel tax and I will enjoy my new Tahoe.

You win. LOL
No when I was referring to automobiles..deep in bed meant acting like brothers. There is really no need for us to design and develop new automobiles when together we come out ahead. We drive just as many big half tons per capita on the prairies as you guys so no stones being cast but in the large cities many/most of our cars are Japanese or European, not so much American/Canadian built. Half tons are American as they still build better trucks than competitors. Look don't get me wrong, some of our closest friends are American but that doesn't mean we have to agree with some of your Government policies. And to be fair to your Government until the recent fracking technologies were available you never had a choice of being energy independent as you just didn't have the reserves. Government policies had nothing to do with it but for the record the current government hasn't contributed much as your oil companies have been developing and expanding this technology for several years now so it's to their credit, not your Government.
Old 20-03-2018, 07:04   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Deep in bed with us? All the same?

Is that code for we don't actually have the capability to invent and manufacture our own stuff so we use yours but reserve the right to sniff at us while doing so?
Don't paint with too broad a brush. Autos are a multinational industry, with components made and assembly done on a few continents.

Between my wife and I, we've owned two American brand vehicles... and that was enough, thanks. We only buy Japanese brand now... but one was assembled here in Canada, and one was assembled in Kentucky. Both fine vehicles.

Quote:
Enjoy your new fuel tax and I will enjoy my new Tahoe.
You enjoy that Tahoe; your kids and your grandkids probably won't get the chance to do likewise.
Old 20-03-2018, 07:07   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
One hurtle Americans have to get over is that they are 5% of the world's population and they use 20% of the world's energy.
Seems like a really good deal for the world, actually. Americans deliver most of the important inventions to better everyone's lives, yet only use 20% of the world's energy in doing so. That is awesome. It would be a really good investment for the human race to keep this up so that we can get cheap fusion and clean energy that comes with it. You know, let those boys carry on and save the world. No?
Old 20-03-2018, 07:18   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Americans deliver most of the important inventions to better everyone's lives, yet only use 20% of the world's energy in doing so. That is awesome. It would be a really good investment for the human race to keep this up so that we can get cheap fusion and clean energy that comes with it. You know, let those boys carry on and save the world. No?
Riiiiight. Maybe if some American cruisers would stop sh!tting on everyone who pushes for conservation and energy alternatives like fusion, wind and solar, your American scientists and inventors could stop having to fight about it and actually get on with it.
Old 20-03-2018, 07:20   #220

Kites are largely fully developed. It is the development of larger scale control systems that is now coming into play, like skysail and wing commander. The kiteboat project has also been working on these controls https://project.kiteboat.com/design/
Old 20-03-2018, 07:27   #221
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Well "b" seems like a compassionate choice, but if "adequate" puts you on an 18 month MRI waiting list for a tumor then you might need some money and cross a border to the south. Honestly, your idea seems is sound- just not sure any government can handle it properly.
So if there is a problem I can't easily solve, I give up.

That doesn't sound like a sailor. You solve the problem, even when it is not convenient. That is a the challenge of sailing.
Old 20-03-2018, 07:28   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Yes of course we all know we can depend on Volkswagen for honest data on fuel consumption. Or any auto manufacturer for that matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You may choose to believe them..
I prefer to reset the milometer every time I fill up.. real time truths..
But who will check your pollution numbers? Volkswagen cheated with clever software that led a half million "clean diesel" owners to believe that they were doing relatively good thing. Instead, they were polluting at 40 TIMES the amount that all the "smog tests" showed. The lesson? Never be TOO smug (like M from Montreal) when you brag to your friends about your carbon footprint because of your "clean diesel".
Old 20-03-2018, 07:31   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Riiiiight. Maybe if some American cruisers would stop sh!tting on everyone who pushes for conservation and energy alternatives like fusion, wind and solar, your American scientists and inventors could stop having to fight about it and actually get on with it.
Was that mistakenly meant for the Jabsco thread??
Old 20-03-2018, 07:32   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
So if there is a problem I can't easily solve, I give up.

That doesn't sound like a sailor. You solve the problem, even when it is not convenient. That is a the challenge of sailing.
Not sure what the first part is about, but we agree on the second part!
Old 20-03-2018, 07:35   #225

To try to claw my way back to the OP... it's a public relations problem. We just have to create buzz around a different kind of prestige yacht.
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, power boat